post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Horsepower- California vs. non-California 2014 Mustangs

So the title says it all...

I'm wondering if 2014 Mustangs sold in California have less power than their non-California counterparts. I've googled around but couldn't find any information relating to recent vehicles. If I've overlooked it somehow I apologize. I'm specifically wondering about GT/Coyote models.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015
Apprentice

Hmm good question... I looked at some other Mustang forums and there's no clear consensus- it seems like there's either no effect or a very minor one (3-4 hp loss) if any. Can't imagine it'd be noticeable, but I'd try to find a non-Cali one just in case haha

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amabhy View Post
Hmm good question... I looked at some other Mustang forums and there's no clear consensus- it seems like there's either no effect or a very minor one (3-4 hp loss) if any. Can't imagine it'd be noticeable, but I'd try to find a non-Cali one just in case haha
Well, I have one of each already. They are the same car, but feel like different torque levels (at least when below 3,000 rpm). There could be many reasons why, but I just started thinking that there may be a difference related to California emissions requirements for equipment and tuning.

I'm hoping the answer is that there is no difference but I can't find anything one way or the other.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
They are all the same and 50 state legal.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Great, that's what I was hoping to hear

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015
PONY Member

Garage
A lot of motor vehicle manufacturers have found that it's cheaper and easier to move inventory around if they build all their cars to the tightest emissions standards they have to meet, a.k.a. California. If cars a selling fast in CA and slow in another state they can easily redistrubute them. There are also quality advantages of limiting the number of versions they have to build for each particular model. Less chances for mistakes, etc. Pretty common practice these days.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post

Not true. Mine is not legal in California.
Horsepower- California vs. non-California 2014 Mustangs-imageuploadedbyautoguide1449110463.524459.jpg

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
Not true. Mine is not legal in California.
Attachment 482514
Oops I was wrong. Where is that sticker located?

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

On the underside of the hood. Passenger side towards the front.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Apprentice

Octane and fuel quality will determine ultimate hp/tq levels. Stock tuning has the below 3k rpms a little soft.

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Octane and fuel quality will determine ultimate hp/tq levels. Stock tuning has the below 3k rpms a little soft.
Yeah, and I really want to change that but I really want to keep my warranty in tact. I'm afraid my dealer isn't mod friendly.

Apprentice

You learn something new all the time on this site. I thought all our cars were the same - 50 States emissions legal.
crjackson2134 likes this.
Apprentice

I also have that sticker under my hood. Mine was originally sold new in South Carolina but the last owner brought it to California where I got it used. You can register a car here that's not Cali-emissions certified and it'll pass smog/inspection but all new cars on the lots have to have the stricter emissions setup. Same deal with the Taurus I used to have- also not Cali-emissions certified.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I guess I'll be looking for that sticker under both hoods just for the fun of it this week. I wish we had a tech. on this board that knows what the real deal is.

GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabhy View Post
I also have that sticker under my hood. Mine was originally sold new in South Carolina but the last owner brought it to California where I got it used. You can register a car here that's not Cali-emissions certified and it'll pass smog/inspection but all new cars on the lots have to have the stricter emissions setup. Same deal with the Taurus I used to have- also not Cali-emissions certified.
I flew out to Detroit to buy mine and drove it back to Connecticut. I didn't realize that it was not 50 state certified until weeks after I got it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page