2012 Mustang GT Exhaust Question (the ongoing debate) - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 Mustang GT Exhaust Question (the ongoing debate)

Hi All,

I have a 2012 Mustang GT, and I'm a little lost about what to do with my exhaust.

Current mods are: K&N filter, GT500 axleback mufflers, Ford Racing tune (the one that comes with their "power pack").

Since the car is not going to be my daily anymore, and I'm slowly towards building it as a track weapon, I'm trying to find the best exhaust for it and would like some opinions. I will be doing mostly road racing with it. Nothing serious though.

My long-term options are adding more power with a supercharger while maintaining as much drive-ability as I can.

I'm confused because YouTube doesn't really help me in terms of figuring out which exhaust sounds like what, since most all videos are recorded differently, and I never really know what they are running besides PYRES MUFFLERS YO.

So I ask, for someone looking to supercharge their car, turn it into a track weapon/some fun cruising times, what exhaust setup do you recommend that's going to not really limit me on power making while still bringing out that "mustang rumble" that I seem to hear on some cars and not on others? Some mustangs I've heard sound like crap and I want to know what's the difference in what they're running.

Thanks all,
GP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Dibs on the GT500 axleback mufflers 😁

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015
Banned

My vote for the Borla S or Ford Racing equivalent. A supercharger is over kill for road racing though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboGP View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2012 Mustang GT, and I'm a little lost about what to do with my exhaust.

Current mods are: K&N filter, GT500 axleback mufflers, Ford Racing tune (the one that comes with their "power pack").

Since the car is not going to be my daily anymore, and I'm slowly towards building it as a track weapon, I'm trying to find the best exhaust for it and would like some opinions. I will be doing mostly road racing with it. Nothing serious though.

My long-term options are adding more power with a supercharger while maintaining as much drive-ability as I can.

I'm confused because YouTube doesn't really help me in terms of figuring out which exhaust sounds like what, since most all videos are recorded differently, and I never really know what they are running besides PYRES MUFFLERS YO.

So I ask, for someone looking to supercharge their car, turn it into a track weapon/some fun cruising times, what exhaust setup do you recommend that's going to not really limit me on power making while still bringing out that "mustang rumble" that I seem to hear on some cars and not on others? Some mustangs I've heard sound like crap and I want to know what's the difference in what they're running.

Thanks all,
GP
The system you have now should handle 700 hp and sound good while doing it.
freewayflyer likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My advice is to link up with a member who lives near you who has a setup you want to hear. Youtube is worthless when determining the sound, for just the reasons you mentioned. I will say, the sound clips on Late Model Restoration are pretty close to my ear but unless you hear it in person it's a toss up.

I currently use the GT500s with a JLT and Roush S/C and I get compliments all of the time. I think it's just right. Not "look at me!" loud but definitely makes people suspicious when you ride by. I'm moving on to a set of M-5230-MSVTLA GT500s (Asphalt Cowboy swore by them years ago) in a few weeks just because I've always wanted to hear them.

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush 79mm Pulley ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake GT500 Axlebacks UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs Koni STR.Ts 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you're doing road courses, there are other places you should be spending money, tires, suspension and brakes. Not necessarily in that order. For me, my next mod will be 18x10 wheels with Michelin PSSes. After those get put on, I'll think about a set of Kooks longtube headers and possibly a CobraJet intake.

I consider my setup a sort of "stage 1+". It's a nice setup, but nothing outrageous. I track my car 3 or 4 times during the Summer. It's a good time and I'll be stepping-up from the "beginner" run group next year.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015
GT Member

I did the kooks super street shorty headers because I didn't wanna get rid of my xpipe, MBRP Cat back race series sounds awesome vids don't do it justice not raspy at all just sounds like muscle.

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015
GT Member

https://youtu.be/7L2KcwcffSk

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015
PONY Member

I'd be careful with the MBRP race series. While it sounds great at idle and driving around town, the drone on the highway is insane. I know because I had that catback with lethal's off-road x pipe and the drone on the highway was just too much. From there I ended up getting bbk headers and went the gt500 mufflers and JPC over axle pipes to delete the resonators and get rid of the poorly designed stock squished over axle pipes. This was a decent setup, but I wanted something a little deeper sounding so I switched the axle back to the magnaflow street series. Personally if you like the sound of the gt500s I would say have an exhaust shop do the resonator delete, or get the JPC/lethal over axle pipes, and eventually get some headers. Here is a link to my current exhaust setup

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfenkhWfus

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
GT Member
S197 Member

For road course use, DO NOT supercharge, unless your idea of a fun track day is watching your coolant temps and dealing with a boiling overflow reservoir.

That being said, the setup you want is the regular non-Boss intake manifold, long tube headers (catted or not) (preferably ARH), and some good mufflers that aren't ear splitting.

Loud is cool on the street, where you hit an on-ramp and then sit at 2200rpm for a while. On track, you don't want 100dB for a 25min session, unless you like wearing earplugs inside your helmet. Additionally, if you run into a track with a 95dB limit, or something like that...well...that becomes an expensive day.

Make sure to ditch your resonators.

Also, unrelated- the Pilot Super Sport is a jack of all trades. It's not a track tire. If you're going to be doing primarily track stuff, there are much better choices.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboGP View Post
Hi All,

Thanks all,
GP
I wanted to upgrade to 3" catback before I had my Whipple installed. This is the kit I have on my car now.

Flowmaster Mustang American Thunder Catback 817500 (11-12 GT) - Free Shipping

I'm in CA, so I'm limited to catback only...no long tubes or catless.

2012 Mustang GT, Ingot Silver, 6M, 3.73, Brembo.
Whipple 2.9, Flowmaster AT Cat Back 817500.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
[Deleted by author]

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo

Last edited by crjackson2134; 12-14-2015 at 10:09 AM.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
So do the GT500's, Roush's, and Saleen cars have these issues with SC's too? I was thinking of installing a Roush S/C down the road, but this kind of gives me pause.
Mostly yes.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
Mostly yes.
Well that's disappointing, thanks.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
GT Member
S197 Member

THat's not to say it's impossible to make it work. You can do it with proper (massive) cooling and some creative heat extraction.

However- I'd put power absolutely last on the priority list when building up a track car. Tires, driver, wheels, brakes, suspension, safety, drivetrain, should all be placed before power.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in