2014 GT500 Spoiler bolts - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

Garage
2014 GT500 Spoiler bolts

So yesterday I closed my trunk and the left side of my spoiler pulled up. I was under the assumption that it was held down by some screws or bolts but when I looked at the back of the trunk, there was nothing in the holes. It appears that the PO had just taped it on. It is the gt500 type and the holes match up with the stock holes were. I can't seem to find screws for it though. Should I just have someone tape it back one??

SG

1967 Sport Sprint 200, 3 speed standard, Midnight Blue, June 7. No A/C, manual steering and drum brakes. Added dual exhaust and front disc brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015
Sean Reilly

Well that is entirely up to you!.....As Many Peeps that go with either Aftermarket Or some of the 3 piece Duck Tail types just go with the "Super-Heavy Duty" 3-M double sided Tape because they do NOT want to have to Drill new (Non-OEM) holes through the trunk (Quarter Panel) of their Stang. And I for 1 do NOT blame them, as who wants extra holes!....

But if your Existing OEM holes indeed match up with the Spoiler that you have, and if you are afraid of losing her, (Highway etc..) By all means throw some bolts in there for peace of mind.....But the Tape thats out there now (3M, and Gorilla Auto Tape) are basically all that you need......Unless that is, if you have some MAJOR temp. changes, i.e. bringing her out from a heated Garage to 0'F outside type of weather!.........But unless you are living on top of the "Sierra" Mountains with Sasquatch! I don't think that Gorgeous Cali. weather is going to freeze up and thaw any quality Auto "Body Panel Tape"

Sean.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

Garage
Hmm.. Yah the holes line up so I wonder why it's not bolted down

1967 Sport Sprint 200, 3 speed standard, Midnight Blue, June 7. No A/C, manual steering and drum brakes. Added dual exhaust and front disc brakes.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
maybe stripped out the screw holes when being applied? or just lazy p.o? in my experience they use 6x20 cap screw. like the license plate type with the phillips head. you can get at autozone cheap. i wouldnt just tape,especially if holes are there already.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

Garage
So I went to pepboys and the guy helped me find screws that would fit. But not after dropping some in the holes in the trunk. Now I always hear them rolling around in there! I'll have to take it off and pull them out somehow

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Is it a true GT500 spoiler or the 3D Carbon brand spoiler that American Muscle sells? An easy way to tell is if the Gurney flap is a separate piece (real GT500 spoiler) or molded into the spoiler (like the 3D Carbon spoiler). If it turns out it is the 3D Carbon spoiler, the chances are the bolts were left out because they didn't exactly line up perfectly. I've experienced and know of a couple of other Mustang owners that have too. I had to widen the holes a touch on my deck-lid because of this. They looked right but were barely off (maybe just the angle was off and caused interference).

ETA:
I really like the (knock-off) GT500 spoiler on my car!

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblue67 View Post
So I went to pepboys and the guy helped me find screws that would fit. But not after dropping some in the holes in the trunk. Now I always hear them rolling around in there! I'll have to take it off and pull them out somehow

I apologize, but that is funny.. (maybe because its not me...) On the positive side, you think about Pep Boys every time you tap the brakes...

Go back and buy a magnet - most auto parts stores sell one that is on the end of a telescoping rod - like old-fashioned walkie-talkie antenna's. They are cheap, and handy to have anyway. That should help you get the bolts out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'll have a set of Flowmaster Outlaws for sale in the spring, you'll never hear the bolts (or anything else) ever again......

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer200 View Post
I apologize, but that is funny.. (maybe because its not me...) On the positive side, you think about Pep Boys every time you tap the brakes...

Go back and buy a magnet - most auto parts stores sell one that is on the end of a telescoping rod - like old-fashioned walkie-talkie antenna's. They are cheap, and handy to have anyway. That should help you get the bolts out.
The guy at the store tried magnets but it's really hard to get them through the holes and past the filler in the trunk. Now everytime I hear them I remember why I never let other people work on my cars x)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN5.0 View Post
I'll have a set of Flowmaster Outlaws for sale in the spring, you'll never hear the bolts (or anything else) ever again......

Scott
Hmmm. That's enticing. I have been wanting some new exhaust...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page