Front Strut Brace - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Is a front strut brace worth the money?
Yes if <$100 7 35.00%
Yes if <$150 6 30.00%
No, save your money and buy a GT350R in 5 years 7 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

From 2005 on they don't need the brace, except for cool factor. The new S197 & S550 chassis are so stiff, the brace is superfluous.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Garage
I put a three point on my fox cause I track day the car and it has got to help the flexing. My 2000 camaro ss came with one stock, don't think chevy put it on there for looks.Found one for less than $100.00, can't remember where, it was red but did not care.https://youtu.be/ldrDFD59NQU

88 LX GT40p heads and intake from Explorer, E cam, short headers off road H pipe, lowered springs, camber caster plates, pan hard bar, weld in frame stiffeners
2000 Camaro SS stock
1990 Spec Miata
2003 Stratus winter POS
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
That 3-point bar actually does something for performance as opposed to NVH reduction and maybe improved steering feel. You're getting some triangulation back to the firewall, assuming that it was done up properly. The problem you're trying to solve is chassis torsion, which is a 3-D structural problem that isn't going to be helped much by a brace that only connects straight across in one transverse plane (and is typically only bolted to the strut towers at the strut attachment bolts).

It certainly isn't going to reduce roll unless the entire front structure of your car is in danger of collapsing, but it might let "X" amount of roll feel more composed and fool you into thinking there's less roll.

Norm
(retired structural guy)

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
From 2005 on they don't need the brace, except for cool factor. The new S197 & S550 chassis are so stiff, the brace is superfluous.
Well then I suppose the marked improvement was all in my head.....

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It certainly isn't going to reduce roll unless the entire front structure of your car is in danger of collapsing, but it might let "X" amount of roll feel more composed and fool you into thinking there's less roll.

Norm
(retired structural guy)
Now this makes sense. Being fooled really feels real....kinda like taking a sugar pill for a health problem that ends up getting resolved as a result!

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
Well then I suppose the marked improvement was all in my head.....
Please do some research on this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
Please do some research on this.
At this juncture it's a moot point. I traded the 2012 V6 for the GT on July 9, 2014. My GT already has the brace for additional rigidity, so I'm happy. I do believe however that braces from the strut towers to the center of the firewall would be even more effective. But there's no room for that under the hood.

post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Not sure how relevant this is but the mustang GT3 race series car doesn't have a strut bar. Then again I doubt it needs it given it has one heck of a roll cage.

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
That 3-point bar actually does something for performance as opposed to NVH reduction and maybe improved steering feel. You're getting some triangulation back to the firewall, assuming that it was done up properly. The problem you're trying to solve is chassis torsion, which is a 3-D structural problem that isn't going to be helped much by a brace that only connects straight across in one transverse plane (and is typically only bolted to the strut towers at the strut attachment bolts).

Norm
(retired structural guy)
Interesting, I was told I had to leave the strut bar in place on my convertible, so when buying a supercharger, make sure to find one that fits under a brace that is at least as stiff as the factory unit.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The convertible is a slightly different animal where this is concerned. With a big hole instead of a roof, it's much less rigid, and for what little an STB actually contributes to overall chassis stiffness it at least reduces cowl shake somewhat (that in a coupe is resisted by the roof).

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Apprentice

Make you wonder about the glass roof guys.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
On a side note and because I was taken to task on a V6 site - the so called "Boss Brace" was actually the V6 perf pack brace - appearing in 2011 - but it does sound cooler as the Boss Brace.
Voight I thought the boss would clear the CJ intake - no? And Okie - if it feels better in your head that's really all that matters - confidence in your equipment goes a long way

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
double post

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC

Last edited by CDN5.0; 01-13-2016 at 11:38 AM.
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I've had mine on for a week now and I think it makes a good difference over stock. The front feels more planted as I enter each turn and I notice less aberrant road feel. Definitely worth the $70.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
SHELBY GT 350 Member

My 95 GT came stock w one and its been on and off several times to make room for working under the hood. It's the triangular kind and I can't really tell a difference either way. It looks cooler with it on but it's harder to get your hands in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page