2012 mustang GT gauge light issues - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RoboStang
  • 2 Post By mtilly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 mustang GT gauge light issues

New to allfordmustangs.com. Haven't had much luck on other mustang forums and figured I'd see if I could get some help here.

After scoring a job at a local ford dealership, someone traded in a 2012 kona blue GT and I couldn't let the opportunity pass. I had the chance to test drive it for a couple days and noticed today that while driving with the lights on, the colored light (currently blue) behind the speedometer and rpm gauges went from blue to white, though the lights were still on. Not being super knowledgeable with 2010+ mustangs (currently own an 05), I asked a friend and he suggested that I may have the "automatic lights" on. I realized they were indeed on. Went to go get something to eat and when I drove home, I mad sure to not have automatic lights on. About halfway home, the lights went from blue to white again. I'm not sure if this is an electrical issue, or a common issue that I am looking over from now being knowledgeable about the newer S197s. I just want to make sure that it isn't an electrical issue.

TL;DR the custom color on your gauges that you can set keeps going from the selected color to white while the lights are still on. No idea why.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
[Deleted by author]

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo

Last edited by crjackson2134; 12-14-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Do the lights in the floorboard stay on to your selected color or go off as well?

If I remember correctly from my 2011 the interior lights can be on or off even if exterior lights are on. All has to do with how much light is in the car. Their is a sensor in the middle of the dash near the front window.

Is this happening when it is still some light out? If so do a night drive when it is completely dark and report back if it still does it.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Do the lights in the floorboard stay on to your selected color or go off as well?

If I remember correctly from my 2011 the interior lights can be on or off even if exterior lights are on. All has to do with how much light is in the car. Their is a sensor in the middle of the dash near the front window.

Is this happening when it is still some light out? If so do a night drive when it is completely dark and report back if it still does it.
I believe that this is your answer. If I recall, the background is white during the day and will switch to MyColor at night or when there is low light. Try covering the sensor on the dash with a piece of cloth during the day and see if the dash changes color. It may take a minute.
SquidBillyPaul likes this.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
I believe that this is your answer. If I recall, the background is white during the day and will switch to MyColor at night or when there is low light. Try covering the sensor on the dash with a piece of cloth during the day and see if the dash changes color. It may take a minute.

I was going to make the cloth suggestion, but that leaves room for error if not done just right. Driving at night is a 100% test.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I was going to make the cloth suggestion, but that leaves room for error if not done just right. Driving at night is a 100% test.

I was just thinking that he could control the on/off by covering and uncovering the sensor. Instant day/night.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
I was just thinking that he could control the on/off by covering and uncovering the sensor. Instant day/night.
Yeah I did that a couple times and found it was spotty. Only thing is unless that sensor is completely covered it will cause the interior lights to come on and off.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
On the highway, especially two lane, I prefer to drive with the lights on - if it's day light the system automatically resets the gauge package to daylight settings (White) regardless of whether I've physically flipped the switch to the full lights on position. Covering the sensor is the only way to darken the gauges in daylight

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It seems the OP has left the building......

I am starting to wonder if OP's statement, "Haven't had much luck on other mustang forums and figured I'd see if I could get some help here." is due to the OP not reading the advice being given as the OP clearly hasn't done that here. As I know for a fact the answer has been given. Shoot I am one of the people that have given it in great detail....

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
PONY Member

My 2012 does the same thing as mtilly's does.

I figured it was normal and haven't thought about since.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
It seems the OP has left the building......

I am starting to wonder if OP's statement, "Haven't had much luck on other mustang forums and figured I'd see if I could get some help here." is due to the OP not reading the advice being given as the OP clearly hasn't done that here. As I know for a fact the answer has been given. Shoot I am one of the people that have given it in great detail....
Hey now, some people have to work. Have had a busy day and just now got back to seeing my post. I read the advice and have concluded that it was the light sensor being picky if it was too bright out or not. Just signed the paperwork today and the stang is officially mine

Thank you for the input, everyone.
5.0 Coyote and MustangLife like this.
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtilly View Post
Hey now, some people have to work. Have had a busy day and just now got back to seeing my post. I read the advice and have concluded that it was the light sensor being picky if it was too bright out or not. Just signed the paperwork today and the stang is officially mine

Thank you for the input, everyone.

Congrats on the purchase. We look forward to getting to know you and your Mustang. Also hope you are a permanent member of our community now as well.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Congrats. Gotta love Kona Blue!!!

GT Member
Classic Member

I drive with my lights on all the time. When I drive under an overpass etc. the dash lights change from white to blue then back to white again. This is during daylight. Your car is normal. Congrats on the purchase......

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page