Super Charger 2013 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Super Charger 2013 5.0

It is time to take the next step - My car comes out of warranty in Feb so ready to up the ante - Presently 425rwph and 405 torque NA
Best time in the high 11's - Average 12.2 at 117mph with 1.7 average 60ft with 3.73 gears manual running Hoosier Quick time pro bias plus on 15inch rims.
I am sure everyone has their opinions based on what they have installed, but I would l like to hear your view both good and bad and why you chose the model you did.
Goal is about 500rwhp which should get me to 11.5 -- the cutoff for needing a roll cage .
Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015
GT Member

I went with the Roush TVS2300 kit along with the Brenspeed 560R upgrade kit and upgraded Afco heat exchanger for the simple reason that it was the closest thing to OEM quality and reliability. Having said that, if I was pulling the trigger on a FI kit today I would seriously consider one of the Department of Boost kits as they also utilizes OEM components but sport a superior intake / intercooler setup that is engineered to provide low and consistent IAT temps which is one of the most important things to consider with FI systems as you will lose all kinds of horsepower if the computer starts pulling timing out of the engine due to FI heat soak conditions.

crjackson2134 likes this.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015
Apprentice

has anyone tried the Department of Boost kit yet? I haven't heard any reviews

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015
PONY Member

I went with the stage 2 P1SC Procharger. It's very consistent at the track with traction. No heatsoak issues and at 8psi it makes 593 rwhp 450 rwtq and ran a [email protected] last time at the track spinning off the line with a crappy 1.75 60'. I went with Procharger because I feel the centrifugal superchargers are a bit easier on the engine because the torque is less and not as hard on the engine and wanted to keep my power level more on the conservative side so I can run the stock engine as long as possible. That's just me though.
I wouldn't limit power just because of a roll cage rule at the track though. You will be bored with 500rwhp before you get home from the dyno tune especially going from what you have now the car might not feel too much faster than what it is now. Depending on your track you will probably get a few runs before they tell you to quit. It just depends on how strict they are. I have ran a bunch of runs under 11.50 at my track and haven't been kicked out yet. I go when there isn't much going on just test and tune and they seem to be a lot more lenient than I was expecting.
USAmuscle4life likes this.

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

In my case a couple of runs under 11.5 and I would be done - My track knows me well as I bracket race as well as other events - so 11.5 is it unless I put in the cage and it is a daily drive so that is not for me
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015

We offer several superchargers for your Mustang. The two most popular are going to be the Roush and the Edelbrock, they actually share the same Eaton TVS Screws as well so it really comes down to what you prefer look wise, it's a tough choice. These will support big power in the future as well, say if you were going to build the bottom end a bit. These twin screw S/C's will also make their boost right off the line so you will maximize low end torque and there is hardly any maintenance involved, an oil change every 50,000 miles. A centrifugal setup (Paxton, Vortech, Procharger) usually doesn't see much boost until 2500-3000 rpm and even there we are talking about 1-2 psi depending on the pulley. Both styles have their benefits to the consumer..if you need any further help please feel free to email or call! Thanks!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
Rookie

The twin screw kits look "easier" and cleaner to install, any thoughts around that?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
GT Member

I installed my Roush kit by myself with basic hand tools. Not that difficult, just need to pay attention to detail and take your time. Has been running flawlessly on my stock bottom end 05 mustang GT for the last two years.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarad View Post
The twin screw kits look "easier" and cleaner to install, any thoughts around that?
Just for the sake of nit-picking, the Roush and Edelbrock technically are not twin screw superchargers. They are TVS which I believe is a modified roots supercharger. The good news is that the TVS is generally better for a street car than the twin screw.

These are all "positive displacement" superchargers, which is the important distinction between these and the prochargers / vortechs.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice

That's a lot of dough to spend for only needing 1/2 a second? A nice easy 75 shot would do that deed for 1/10 the cost. But, good luck, it's yo money.

I'm running 12.1's on the stock 245's all seasons and stock oem gt mufflers leaving off 850 rpm idle. Drag radial guys' just shake their heads. Lol.

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I too will be looking at DOB. They keep pushing their design further instead of just making a kit that's 'OK.'

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
Apprentice

Garage
SPRAY AND PRAY ! Im making 525+ on a 125 shot hunting for that 10.9 this sunday at ATCO.

Lots of parts. Still slow
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My VMP tuned Roush S/C has been flawless for over 50k miles on the 79mm pulley and 82mm pulley (79mm tune uses upgraded injectors which was too rough on my cats). Setups similar to mine run in the high tens. Trust me, once you taste the madness of a FI coyote you'll forget about your self imposed 11.5sec limit. I wouldn't bother with spray, running out of fast sucks.

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush 79mm Pulley ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake GT500 Axlebacks UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs Koni STR.Ts 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for all the input - I have decided on the Edelbrock Stage 2 with a custom Dyno tune - Looks like about 580rwhp - Found a guy who can put in a bolt on custom roll cage that is easy to remove and that will meet the specs I need down to 10.5 so what the hell!!! I already have all the suspension mods I need to keep it down and stable - I am sure I will break something but that is just a excuse to put something better in LOL
PONY Member

Actually the centrifugal superchargers are generally easier to install because you don't have to replace the intake manifold like with TVS or Roots. I went procharger stage II because I wanted to be different from most of the other centri's who are running either paxton or vortech. I'd be careful with the Edelbrock. I've seen at least 2 people who have blown motors with that system installed. Regardless, invest in a solid tuner, whatever S/C you go with. Go with someone like Lund or AED who have tuned thousands of mustangs as the 5.0 engine is very sensitive when it comes to tunes.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page