Grinding noise.. Driveshaft? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Grinding noise.. Driveshaft?

So I have a 2014 Mustang GT and it is making a "metal on metal" grinding noise. At first I thought it was the ABS system or a bad brake sensor but when I first start the car it is really bad. Happens every time I push the clutch in and or press the brakes and when I let off the gas. After about 10 to 15 minute of driving it only happens when I brake.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015
PONY Member

Sounds like a brake problem to me. Does the car shake/shutter or anything when stopping? I'd start with checking the condition of your rotors and pads.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015
PONY Member

Garage
I have a similar issue with mine right now. I hear a grinding noise whenever I am going slow and turning and braking. It sounds like a brake pad eating up a rotor. I pulled all my wheels and looked at everything and could not find any damage to rotors and there is no noise when spinning the wheels while its up on jack stands.

Interesting to see if and where this thread goes.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I thought it might be a brake problem too but you only hear the noise from inside the car.. sounds like its coming from the passenger side tire or from the gear box.. its hard to tell
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
Rookie

I'm not sure if this is the same problem that everyone else is having but my '14 GT (stock brakes) was having a metal on metal noise also. It was more of a scraping sound that sounded like a front caliper hanging up causing the brake to drag. I took both wheels off and made sure that the sliders and calipers were lubed. The noise continued. It was most noticeable at around 20-30 mph. Eventually it started sounding like an air leak or hissing noise. I was going to take the wheels off again and look but for some reason stuck my hand through the wheel on the drivers side to see if I could feel any roughness on the inside of the rotor and found that the sheet metal dust shield was right up against the rotor! I did the same on the passenger side and there was a gap there. I went back to the drivers side and reached through the wheel and was able to bend the dust shield away from the rotor the way it should be. I haven't had a problem since. I bought the vehicle new with only a little over 100 miles on it so it must have been like that since it was delivered to the dealer.

2014 GT premium convertible - ruby red
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie View Post
I'm not sure if this is the same problem that everyone else is having but my '14 GT (stock brakes) was having a metal on metal noise also. It was more of a scraping sound that sounded like a front caliper hanging up causing the brake to drag. I took both wheels off and made sure that the sliders and calipers were lubed. The noise continued. It was most noticeable at around 20-30 mph. Eventually it started sounding like an air leak or hissing noise. I was going to take the wheels off again and look but for some reason stuck my hand through the wheel on the drivers side to see if I could feel any roughness on the inside of the rotor and found that the sheet metal dust shield was right up against the rotor! I did the same on the passenger side and there was a gap there. I went back to the drivers side and reached through the wheel and was able to bend the dust shield away from the rotor the way it should be. I haven't had a problem since. I bought the vehicle new with only a little over 100 miles on it so it must have been like that since it was delivered to the dealer.
Interesting, I'll have to try moving the dust shield away on mine, I know that it is REALLY close on some of the wheels. So close I can't even put my fingers between the shield and the rotor.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clutch 5.0 problem , driveshaft vibration , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page