Couple of interesting problems - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Couple of interesting problems

First, I'd like to say that I love my stang. I really do. But I absolutely hate her sometimes too. Here's why:

The most recent and longest issue, has been a chirping somewhere in the wheels. I've brought up the TSB regarding the anti rattle clips to a few dealers, they looked at me like I had three eyes. So I replaced them myself when I replaced the rotors and all that jazz. Still doing it, meanwhile I've upgraded pretty much everything in the rear from the sway bars, to the axles all the way to driveshaft, springs and everything else. Full class three suspension kit from Steeda was installed. Suggestions?

I haven't been able to find an actually truly flat surface to see if its brought on my bumps/ruts/etc but it definitely seems as though it happens louder when I hit a bump vs when I don't. So far I've even gone as far as thinking one of the debris shields were bent and causing the noise so I inspected them thinking that might be the cause, only to find that it wasn't the cause.

I've had several shops look at it and they can't figure it out, meanwhile when I hear it I want to launch the stang off a mountain top as it does more than get under my skin at this point.

Next we have the wonderful oil life monitor. Again I brought up the TSB for that as well and pretty much got the same response. A few times, I've had to track mileage as it stayed at 100% for literally thousands of miles. Finally changed it at 7500 miles with an oil life of 100% which then resulted in me resetting it after the change. Immediately dropped to 0% once I reset it after the 7500 mile oil change. I reset it again and it did the same thing. Reset it a third time and after about 2000 miles told me it was time to change the oil.

I'm using full synthetic mobile1 oil and after sampling the oil three times since the warning came on at 2000 miles, I'm now at around 9000 with decent consistency. I'll be changing it Tomorrow when I get to Denver so it'll be changed at around 9250 miles.

Are there any good ways in dealing with these stealerships on TSB's? If not, any way I can just disable the oil life monitor without causing a huge issue? I always check mileage and maintain my fluids so it wouldn't be that big of a loss, plus I'm sick of resetting it constantly.

Beyond that, I love her. Her and I have gone cross country twice (and on my third trip cross country right now), sitting with just under 30k miles in total and heavily modded so that she looks sweet and rides even sweeter. I just grow tired of these two annoyances.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015
BOSS Member

......IMHO, for a dealer to charge you (assuming they did) and not locate the 'noise", they did not follow the NVH test process and that includes the use of electronic/wireless "ears"....in essence, microphones that attach to different areas of the vehicle (underside or hidden areas), and with a remote monitor inside the vehicle you can narrow the location down with just a bit of effort.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
......IMHO, for a dealer to charge you (assuming they did) and not locate the 'noise", they did not follow the NVH test process and that includes the use of electronic/wireless "ears"....in essence, microphones that attach to different areas of the vehicle (underside or hidden areas), and with a remote monitor inside the vehicle you can narrow the location down with just a bit of effort.
That's good to know, I actually didn't know they had that. I will bring it up the next time I go to them. As far as charging, the dealer tried to twice but I raised hell and so they didn't charge me, but I haven't been back since as I've been too busy to fight with the stealership.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Could it be the wear indicators on the brake pads making the chirp noises? I know you replaced the rotors but I didn't see pads mentioned.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, I actually replaced it all when I did the rotors. Here's something: Today when I arrived in Vegas, I took the stang to Valvoline as I do with all of my vehicles. I had them check the differential and at 28125 miles it was dark black (obviously bad fluid) and a little bit of metal shavings on the magnet. Nothing too major though. The odd thing is on the ride to the Cosmo to check in, I barely heard the chirping. Sure, maybe it was because I washed it afterwards, but I will know for sure when I leave Vegas on Sunday for Cali. Might be interesting if all this time it was something with the diff.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Rookie

My 13 started reporting a need for an oil change at around 1500 miles. I thought, "NO WAY!", but I had it changed at the local dealer anyway as I was about to drive from CA to OH with stops going and returning. That was in July 2015. In October 2015, I made another trip cross country to FL and return via a CO. The idiot light came on again on the return trip. I went to a Ford dealer on Aurora/Colorado Springs. The informed me that I was running the wrong oil and not enough oil with the BOSS intake system mod. In short order, I was back on the road and had no more problems. Also, about that same time, I had started hearing a scrunching sound. That was solved with a lube job.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Rookie

As long as you will be in LV, stop in at Shelby and have them check it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
GT Member

I find it best to print off the TSB and hand it to the dealer's service person and say "perform this please". This usually takes care of the usual blank stare as if they have no idea what I'm talking about.

As for the chirp. I did have a similar issue with my 05 GT. It seemed to only happen when going over small sharp bumps and it drove me nuts for about three months until one day I got caught driving in the rain, something I almost never do, and the chirp went away. I waited for it to come back once everything dried out, then I sprayed a shot WD at the lower shock bushings and bolts....noise stopped and has not come back for more than a year. Not saying this is your issue, but might be worth a try.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in