Help!!! Loud Tick after oil change!!! 2012(GT) - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1N8R View Post
Bosch is not the one. Neither is penzoil. Would not recommend.
I use Pennzoil Platinum (full synthetic) 10W-30 in my '98 Mercedes SL500 (changed once a year as I only drive it 4k/yr); purrs like a kitten right up to 170 mph--however the Bosch filter is a no-no...

-cliff knight-
SOLD! July 2013 - 2003 GT, UPR X, 24lb/h injectors, Magnaflow, 180 stat,
PP 70mm TB & plenum, Ralco RZ_flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

new ride - 1998 SL500, 5.0L 32V 326/347 HP/tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Doubt it would have anything to due with the oil filter. Also Pennzoil didn't kill your motor (If thats the case) I run Pennzoil Platinum in my 3v and its treated me well.

Tick sound increasing with RPM could be something with your exhaust. Do you have an aftermarket mid pipe? First thing of course check the oil level, Make sure nothings leaking etc.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Bosch oil filters are crap--here are dissected Bosch and OEM Miata filters I cut up a few years back--however the difference in actual filter element size is startling:

Upon installing the Bosch filter I lost 12 to 15 psi pressure at the o/p gauge (I.e. the main oil galley just after the filter).

Also-- and this is pure IMHO that I do not care to argue--I would not use 5W-20 oil in a go-kart if I lived in Nome. Put some 10W-30 or 10W-40 in there--
There is no argument there, do not use anything but a Motorcraft filter. They seem to be the only filter with the correct anti-drain back valve in the filter. 4.6 3v and coyote VVT systems need this to function properly and it's also required to keep oil up top. Do not increase the weight of the oil, this is also a no no on VVT engines. The passages at the VVT selenoids are tiny and require the thinner oil. Penzoil for some reason causes a tick in Modular motors. It will get quieter, but I would start by swapping the filter for a Motorcraft.

Personally, I use Motorcraft semi-synth and synth 5w-20 plus a Motorcraft filter in all my stangs and have no problems.

Rookie
Classic Member

The same thing happened to my 66 mustang. I know they are a bit different now but my friend, who happens to be a used car mechanic at a Ford dealership, told me to use a motorcraft filter because it is set to the right pressure and should fix the problem. The last oil change I used a Fram PH8A oil filter then started to hear the ticking sound. Good Luck.
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Originally Posted by Quan Cheese:
"Doubt it would have anything to due with the oil filter. Also Pennzoil didn't kill your motor (If thats the case) I run Pennzoil Platinum in my 3v and its treated me well."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but the pictures don't lie. As another poster already showed pictorial evidence of the difference between brands other than Motorcraft displaying the smaller element and incorrect/cheaper anti-drain back valve there's nothing to argue with. Anything other than a Ford filter(Motorcraft or Ford Racing) will be subpar. All other brands design and manufacture their filters to sell as many as they can for the cheapest possible price with profit as the only motivation. Aftermarket oil filter brands like Bosch, Purolator, K&N, STP, etc don't make cars and have no interest in keeping warranties intact like the actual car manufacturers do(I'm only talking about oil filters here not awesome K&N air filters).
Also, you have to consider that there are always defects out of any batch of manufactured goods. Out of the many millions of filters made each year there will be a few that squeeze by that don't do there job correctly.
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I wonder if the original poster filled the filter with oil before install or put it on dry. She(gender assumed) hasn't posted since the original question was asked. In any case, I highly recommend changing the filter with a Motorcraft ASAP.
Just to add to the aftermarket filter brand issue, I always understood that Fram/Autolite was a Ford sanctioned brand. Their parts came on many older Fords(carbs, batteries, etc) though I don't know about newer vehicles. For that reason I always used Fram and Ford filters only. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

If you go on a site where they have tested oil filters, you will find the FRAM XG oil filter,are rated # 1 for the 5.0 Coyote the # is XG 10575 I have used this filter since the first 500 miles on my 2011 GT,along with Mobil 1 5W30 and I bottle of Hyperlube.No noise tick or knock,no oil usage. Fords and Royal Purple oil filters have poor ratings, along with many other popular brands.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese:
"Doubt it would have anything to due with the oil filter. Also Pennzoil didn't kill your motor (If thats the case) I run Pennzoil Platinum in my 3v and its treated me well."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but the pictures don't lie. As another poster already showed pictorial evidence of the difference between brands other than Motorcraft displaying the smaller element and incorrect/cheaper anti-drain back valve there's nothing to argue with. Anything other than a Ford filter(Motorcraft or Ford Racing) will be subpar. All other brands design and manufacture their filters to sell as many as they can for the cheapest possible price with profit as the only motivation. Aftermarket oil filter brands like Bosch, Purolator, K&N, STP, etc don't make cars and have no interest in keeping warranties intact like the actual car manufacturers do(I'm only talking about oil filters here not awesome K&N air filters).
Also, you have to consider that there are always defects out of any batch of manufactured goods. Out of the many millions of filters made each year there will be a few that squeeze by that don't do there job correctly.

I'm not saying the Bosch is a good filter I just don't think its the cause of the tick. I agree, Motorcraft is all I run. But Purolator makes motorcraft, Motorcraft is a Purolator classic. If they dont have my fl820s I get the puro classic.
Apprentice

Sorry but I'll just throw this out there. IMO Penzoil oil is on the low end of the quality spectrum for our types of cars and engines. I'm not suggesting that thats whats causing the noise. Just pointing out the importance of high quality engine oil. But good luck.

AirRaid CAI, FRPP lca's, Sequential tails, BBK headers & catted x-pipe, Hot Rod Cams, FRPP axle-backs, MGW shifter, 20" bullets, Bama Tune, Eibach Pro Susp Pkg.
PONY Member

I've been using bosch filters and Mobil 1 for a few years and haven't had any issues. Then again that's been in a Mazda 3 and 944 S2. I've only changed the oil once in my mustang and used the same setup, bosch filter with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-20. I did not have any new sounds, ticks or decreases in performance. After reading this I'll probably try a different filter... That in mind, I have trouble believing a filter can cause a tick. Have you looked at the spark plugs? You're at 50k miles and it's amazing what a little bit of gunk or mm change in width can do to the spark.

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
GT Member

i started adding lucas TB zinc-plus to the oil and my tick is slowly but surely going away. I got the idea from a moderator on here.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Rookie
5.0L Member

There's a tsb not from Ford but from Hyundai/kia. They had issues of engine knocking being caused by aftermarket oil filters. It turns out variations in design can cause this.

Here's an excerpt from it:
Quote:
Description:

Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.
I know it's for Hyundai but it is a known example of oil filters causing engine knocking problems. I can see the same concept being applied to a Ford. Especially a modern one that seems to be sensitive to oil types and filters.
Rookie

Like cobrajet67 said did you install oil filter dry or filled with motor oil? I used all ford motor craft 5w20 motor oil and filter with no problems. No ticking whatsoever.

2012 Mustang GT (MT82/Bone Stock/SGM)
1986 Mustang GT (Original Owner/Jalapeno Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page