Help!!! Loud Tick after oil change!!! 2012(GT) - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry Help!!! Loud Tick after oil change!!! 2012(GT)

I've just replaced my oil yesterday with Pennzoil 5w-20 and a bosch oil filter. after work today on the way home near the end of my trip i noticed a loud tick sound coming from the engine bay. I also noticed the tick increase with an increase in rpm's, sounds like it is coming from the drivers side 2nd cylinder but im not sure of the source. please any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 49,321 mi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

If its any help i did change brand of filters? im so paranoid that i believe that could be a cause. and its a loud tick not like the other quite ticks that come along with the Coyote.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
How much oil did you put in?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
So you are familiar with the below threads and saying it is different than those ticks?

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...warmed-up.html

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...knock-fix.html

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...000-miles.html

Aslo note if you go to the "Mustang S197 Forums (2005-2014 Mustangs)" home page and do a search hundreds of threads similar will pop up. The above are just a couple I think might be a starter for you.

As mentioned above are you sure you put the right amount of oil in? Have you checked the dipstick and it shows within range?

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
PONY Member

I remember reading here on this site that one of the admins recommends pulling the fuse 41 fuel injectors relay before oil changes.
Once done, change oil and them turn the ignition on for several seconds to bring the oil pressure up before actually starting the car.

I have done only one oil change myself and used the advice listed above.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
PONY Member

Assuming there is plenty of oil present, it couldn't hurt to change that oil filter in case it's defective or something.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Apprentice

Lol, I knew you used penzoil when you posted that. My Marauder didn't like penzoil and would tick afterwards. Always use Synth and a motorcraft filter. BTW
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Is it a tick or a knock ?

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Rookie

Bosch oil filters are crap--here are dissected Bosch and OEM Miata filters I cut up a few years back--however the difference in actual filter element size is startling:

Upon installing the Bosch filter I lost 12 to 15 psi pressure at the o/p gauge (I.e. the main oil galley just after the filter).

Also-- and this is pure IMHO that I do not care to argue--I would not use 5W-20 oil in a go-kart if I lived in Nome. Put some 10W-30 or 10W-40 in there--read more about 5W-20 here...

-cliff knight-
SOLD! July 2013 - 2003 GT, UPR X, 24lb/h injectors, Magnaflow, 180 stat,
PP 70mm TB & plenum, Ralco RZ_flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

new ride - 1998 SL500, 5.0L 32V 326/347 HP/tq
Rookie

Engine tick after oil change

Unless you are in a super cold region you may wish to use 10-40 synthetic.
Apprentice

Sounds a lot like what happened when I didn't use Motorcraft filters on my F150. The Mobil1 filter was starving my system with too much pressure diff. I always recommend stock filters, and honestly, I have had a lot of cars and used a lot of filters without much thought. id bet $100 you'll be fine if you get rid of that generic filter.
Rookie

Check the bottles and look for this symbol;

If the symbol is not seen, Go buy some Motorcraft 5 W -20 Full Synthetic and a Motorcraft filter and change it as soon as possable.
Ronnie
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mach1 EH
Not sure if related but a friend with a 2012 GT/CS had similar and is getting a new Coyote engine via the power train warranty. Brought it in, they listened, said YEP, not fixing getting you a new engine.

2003 Mach1 DSG (1of1595) IUP, 5 sp, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003
2012 Shelby GT500 - performance white. SVT Performance Pack, navigation, Borla
2014 BMW 750i xDrive M Sport - Daily Driver
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 EH View Post
Not sure if related but a friend with a 2012 GT/CS had similar and is getting a new Coyote engine via the power train warranty. Brought it in, they listened, said YEP, not fixing getting you a new engine.
I have the infamous ticking sound from time to time. Doesn't happen all the time.

But, good grief! How in the world did you get a new engine?? Where is this place, so I can get a new one too! Lol
crjackson2134 likes this.

Michael 2012 Mustang GT 6M Kona Blue
GT Member

Bosch is not the one. Neither is penzoil. Would not recommend.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page