Wheel Compatibility - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wheel Compatibility

I have a 2014 GT/CS. Upgrading brakes with Ford Racing M-2300-T kit. I have access to a set of new 2015 Ford GT Trac Pack wheels and want to ask if they are compatible with my 2014? I know they will clear the Brembo 6 piston calipers with 15 " rotors on the front and the Brembos calipers with 13.8" rotors on the rear. I am just concerned that they might not work with my 2014. Ford changed the spindles along with many other things on the 2015 platform.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015
PONY Member

I think just as long as they're 114.3 x 5, 19", 35-45mm offset and not wider than 9" front and 10" rear they should work. I have a 2012 with a set of 2007 aluminum SVT rims 18x9 - 255/45/18 front and 18x10 - 285/40/18 rear. No rub in the rear but a little bit of rub in the front. I know I can get rid of the rub with a kit that Roush makes, but I haven't had the time to do it yet. Supposedly some 18" wheels will fit over the Brembos in the front, but I have yet to find out which one that is...

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

As I understand it from other threads (on here, try some searches):

Yes they will go on the car and clear the brakes; but they are not exactly right so wheels that were designed for S197 car would be "better"

-- Hub diameter is bigger on the S550 (2015+) than S197 (2014-2005) -- this means the 2015 wheel will go on the 2014 car, but it will not be "hub centered" like it should be

-- Lug thread size is different; pretty sure the lug nuts are different and the taper in the hole is different - so you will need to use 2014 lug nuts in the 2015 wheels; they should fit but there might be clearance issues with the wrench and the taper might not match up exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVoigt View Post
. . . I have a 2012 with a set of 2007 aluminum SVT rims 18x9 - 255/45/18 front and 18x10 - 285/40/18 rear. No rub in the rear but a little bit of rub in the front. . . .
That is very strange that you have rub in the front, with SVT (Ford Special Vehicle Team) wheels and 255/45-18 tires. Any Ford S197 wheel that I know of, should be OK on any S197 car, unless there is something unusual like extreme lowering or super-huge tires. What is rubbing, and what Roush kit are you talking about?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
BMV's car is a sixxer that most likely came with different steering stops (or perhaps none at all). There has been a note in the wheel pages of the FRPP catalogs concerning steering stops since at least as far back as 2008.

BMV must have SVT/GT500 look-alike wheels if they're 9"/10" staggered as he indicates. The official 2007 GT500 wheels were 18 x 9.5, in approximately +45 offset, and used at both the front and the rear.

And for BMV's benefit, there doesn't have to be any problems fitting 10" wide wheels up front as long as you're at least a little careful about the offset. Hell, if you go to the right vendor of Mustang wheels, and maybe do just a little work even 18x11's with 285/35's will fit up front without any rubbing at all (the tread is entirely under the fender as seen from the top, see picture below). Whether you like the appearance or not isn't the point; they do work so two whole inches narrower at 9" is nowhere near the limit up front.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in