differential vent question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

differential vent question

differential vent question - 2013 gt 3.73 gears

Ok so yesterday I was working on my car and installing a differential expansion tank. When I removed the vent for the axle tube I heard a slight pressure release.

My question - is the differential supposed to be under any positive pressure?

I cleaned the vent up and blew through it and it does flow air now. But I am wondering if the pressure issue in normal or contributing to the pinion seal looking like it is leaking.

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I REMOVE my vent every couple of months and soak it in a small can of solvent,blow it out and reinstall it.You should have NO positive pressure in the diff,that is the reason for the vent, it will also help to extend the life of your pinion seal.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015
PONY Member

They do not run under pressure the way an engine does.
The vent is for the expansion of the differential oil as it heats up, which as it expands, air is expelled, and oil if necessary.

However, if the vent is blocked, there is a pressure build up which could contribute to causing leaking seals.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015
PONY Member

that vent is a one-way valve for gases to escape the differential. when the differential is cold, the gas inside contracts creating a suction, when you take off the vent, you hear air rushing INTO the differential.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
that vent is a one-way valve for gases to escape the differential. when the differential is cold, the gas inside contracts creating a suction, when you take off the vent, you hear air rushing INTO the differential.

ahhhh hhha, interesting, I will have to run the expansion tank for awhile and see if it cleans things up, if not I will have to look at replacing the pinion seal - don't really want to do that

Thanks for the education

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

There should NOT be any + or - pressure inside the rear diff,that is why it is called a vent and not a valve,it is there for equal pressure hot or cold.If it hisses either hot or cold it is plugged and needs to be removed and cleaned in solvent.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
There should NOT be any + or - pressure inside the rear diff,that is why it is called a vent and not a valve,it is there for equal pressure hot or cold.If it hisses either hot or cold it is plugged and needs to be removed and cleaned in solvent.
It's a one way valve with a spring and a rubber seal. Trust me. I took mine apart when I put on the turkey baster version.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
It's a one way valve with a spring and a rubber seal. Trust me. I took mine apart when I put on the turkey baster version.
i agree with you, i didnt know it even had a spring though. I thought after enough psi build up it would be able to push up the little metal cover and escape. When it cools down itll suck it back down. Mine had some pshhhhhh when i took mine off. I installed in on my bobs tanks and blew through it and it allowed air to go through. Its definitely not "easy" for the air to go through but it lets pressure out.

So theres really no way to get all the pressure out without having an open filter and that would get messy.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015
Apprentice

It's a stupid design. You'd think they would have figured out a better solution with how long this rear end has been in service.

I got the dealer to put the turkey baster on mine, even though my VIN wasn't covered under the TSB. In short order the thing got melted by the exhaust and started leaking again.

I finally scrapped it all and ran some nice fuel hose from the vent, all the way over to the wheel well, secured with zip ties. That long of a run didn't even need a vent filter termination. Finally done cleaning off diff fluid and road grime from everything near the rear axle!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I went with a Boss/GT500 finned differential cover, which has the vent hole up on top. Then bought the "turkey baster" vent and installed it in that top hole. It looks tight up under there but it has not hit as far as I know.

I probably should have plugged the old vent, but left it there for now due to laziness.

So far, no problems / no leakage after at least a dozen 20-30 minute track sessions.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page