What type of oil - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
What type of oil

Hello

I'm going to be doing my first oil change in the spring.
I bought the car last Feb. and drove it all summer long. Put on 10000kms or 6000 miles. Its currently in storage for our cold Canadian winter. The car is a 2012 gt stang. I has 40000 kms on it or 24000 miles. I have 3 questions.

Should I take it to the ford dealers for the oil change or use a family members garage to do the work?
What type of oil should I use?
Should I go synthetic?

thanks luke from the great white north

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150924-00229.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	486841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150924-00228.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	602.9 KB
ID:	486849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120515-00053.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	486857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150822-00216.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	775.9 KB
ID:	486865  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015
Apprentice

Nice ride. Personally if you can do the oil change yourself I recommend that however if you have a local garage or oil change shop that you trust feel free. Theres a guy near me that allows me to watch what he does, lifts the car, etc, who I use and I'm quite happy with. I don't use any synthetic (full or partial) but I only use Valvoline oil and I change it every spring heading into the summer. I'm a huge believer in quality oils like Valvoline. BTW the most I've put on my garage hag is 3K KM in a season. With my daily drivers I change oil every 10K KM. Best of luck.

AirRaid CAI, FRPP lca's, Sequential tails, BBK headers & catted x-pipe, Hot Rod Cams, FRPP axle-backs, MGW shifter, 20" bullets, Bama Tune, Eibach Pro Susp Pkg.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015
PONY Member

I change mine myself. It's easy but you need some ramps, an oil change bucket and a few tools. I like the oil filter wrench I got at Princess Auto - (PN 8104028). I get any name brand synthetic oil on sale at Crappy Tire (Pennzoil, Castrol or Quaker State) and a good filter (anything but Fram). Old oil can be dropped off at CT too. I get Wix filters at Autovalue. Just a hint from experience - when you take the oil filter off, make sure the rubber seal comes with it. Sometimes it sticks to the engine and when you put the new filter on it doesn't make a good seal and you end up with oil all over the garage floor. You only do this once LOL.
Also I then have a look at the rest of the stuff and get to bond with the car. Lots of things you can do yourself and save some $$ which you can put toward mods - which can be expensive.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015
PONY Member

Personally I would go with a full synthetic oil, I'm a royal purple fan myself but any good synthetic should do the trick (mobil one, castrol, penzoil, etc.) I would recommend a set of ramps or quality jack stands if you want to change your own oil. I like to do my own maintenance when possible because then I know if they really put full synthetic oil in there and that I took the time to make sure I did everything right. Also when changing the oil filter, remember to rub a small amount of new oil around the rubber seal at the top so it seals good when you screw it on. It only needs to be hand tight. You may need an oil wrench to remove the old filter as some dealers screw them on pretty tight.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

I work at Ford don't take it there, Sometimes the lube tech are stupid and forget to put synthetic in. But def stick to synthetic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in