resonator delete - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

resonator delete

How is the exhaust note affected with the resonators removed and no other exhaust mods?

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Okie,

Tone gets a little deeper, a bit more raspy bark, and, of course, louder. It sounds pretty good with the stock mufflers and rally good with the GT500 mufflers. Be aware that drone can appear more easily when the resonators are removed so watch what type of axle-back you install. You may want to poke around YouTube because you will find a bunch of videos that will let you compare stock to modified (look for 'resonator delete'). Here's one for a '13 GT:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S-9hs2e1sY>

FWIW, I have left my resonators in place because I like it that way, lol.

Chris

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan

Last edited by nyuk98gt; 01-02-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added YouTube link!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

^^^^Thanks! I have a drone at 2K rpm and hate it! I was hoping that messing with resonators would change that or even move the drone to a higher rpm like 4K at which point I would NEVER hear it. Apparently not.

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Here is my 2014 with GT500 axle-back mufflers and the resonators deleted. I'm running the FRPP GT TracKey on my car so it may sound a touch more aggressive than a stock GT. And when the exhaust pops a little it maxes out the GoPro mic and it doesn't really capture the sound all of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj9jfOCpHm4

I really like the sound and I haven't experienced any drone. I really like how it crackles and pops on down shifts and throttle lift.

ETA: The video is mostly my car driving through my neighborhood at responsible speeds. About 2:50 I come to a stop on the main road, and you can hear the "Track Idle" from the FRPP TracKey, and then I get on it a little so you'll be able to hear the exhaust under acceleration.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016
Apprentice

What exhaust do you have? I deleted the resonators when I put on the GT500 and love it. I routinely drive at 65 and 75 and have 0 drone. It actually is pretty quite until you get it under load and then it really wakes up. I love how it can be a little sneaky at times.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016
Apprentice

I'm running offroad X pipe with 3" straight through race mufflers. The stock resonators and OAP pipes still in. It sounds badass without all the popping and raspiness.

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I don't want to make any mods to the car beyond taking off the resonators. I was just wondering if that would complicate my resonance (drone) issue.... BTW on some days I have NONE...makes no sense....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page