13-14 Navigation System Worth It Or Nah? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
say what???? I had the ADS MUS1 kit and Maestro module with a Kenwood dnx890hd and never had that happen lol

Its a setting in the system you can tell it to turn the fans off (or down) so as to hear the call better. It is adjustable and you can also place a button on the call screen for fan adjustments (thats how I have it).

DNX991HD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
I didn't get the Nav system, because the vehicle that was found by my car purchase agent didn't have it. It was either take this car or gamble on them not finding the car I wanted. So I dealt with the Sync on the little screen and I hated it. The Nav directions came across the speaker OK, but it is not as intuitive as having the screen mounted someplace. As soon as you hook the phone to the USB such as on a long trip, you loose all control and have to use Sync voice command. Sync voice command has been nothing but frustrating as the system misses about 60% of what I say.

I ended up installing the Raxiom unit about 6 months ago. My review is on AM but you will have to dig to find it. Basically wonderful fit and finish but the actual "system" is very lacking, slow to respond and has issues with brightness. I kept it installed as it the fit an finish is better then any other alternative. But, if I had it all over to do again, I'd spend the money on the much better factory system.
My apologies KenG! I misread your post!!!
Thought you had problems with big screen Nav. My bad...

I had the same problem and hated it! A friend suggested using Bluetooth instead...
Low and Behold... ALL those problems went away. Love it now!!!
I definitely advise you get the Nav! Plus you can watch movies!

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
Ok. Let me explain. In the Nevada summer it gets pretty darn hot. So I roll with windows down quite often.(as long as the wife isn't with me). So if your going down the highway and you get a phone call the stereo automatically turns the A/C to low fan or it locks the climate control to whatever setting you have it at. (Either way it makes for a hot interior when you were just rolling with the windows down.) This isn't a problem if your rolling along with Windows up and A/c on. But if you had your windows down and A/C off or low then it kinda sucks when you gotta roll up the windows.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyp View Post
Its a setting in the system you can tell it to turn the fans off (or down) so as to hear the call better. It is adjustable and you can also place a button on the call screen for fan adjustments (thats how I have it).

DNX991HD
Please more details on how to get to this setting!

Ok found the option in the settings. Thanks for letting me know.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.

Last edited by blu13gt; 01-05-2016 at 09:42 PM.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Please elaborate on this...

Press buttons 3 and 6 at the same time on a tech car with ign on and see what happens. You'll have to hold them for a few seconds.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Press buttons 3 and 6 at the same time on a tech car with ign on and see what happens. You'll have to hold them for a few seconds.
Thanks, I'll do that tomorrow.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyp View Post

DNX991HD
hrmmmm, I had the setup for over 2yrs (still have the Kenwood, just made my own custom panel using Scosche climate controls, so I no longer use the Kenwood climate controls) and never knew such a setting existed lol

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
PONY Member

Garage
Keep in mind that with the factory NAV, its only good until they do some road construction and change things. You can get updates but they are $$$. I don't remember the price but it is well north of $100. Cell phones are always up to date.

I'm not saying NAV is bad, I love my system and would get it again, but there are some downsides.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Keep in mind that with the factory NAV, its only good until they do some road construction and change things. You can get updates but they are $$$. I don't remember the price but it is well north of $100. Cell phones are always up to date.

I'm not saying NAV is bad, I love my system and would get it again, but there are some downsides.
Funny you should mention that. Mine is 2 versions behind and it navigates road construction areas perfectly. The live traffic monitoring handles it without a hitch for me so far. I get free lifetime updates on my Garmin, and it puts that to shame when going through construction areas so far. I'm sure there are cases where the Garmin does a better job but I haven't found one yet.

Updates are $149 and only come every 1-2 years. Since live traffic handles most detours and construction, they don't need updating often. They are supposed to release updates every year, but lag behind sometimes, that's why I said 1-2 years instead of every year.

Call the number on the GPS support screen and they'll verify all this. I just called then last week.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have to disagree a bit. Around Northern VA and D.C. new roads, exits, and express lanes are popping up like crazy, it doesn't do well at all if you have a three year old map. You'll actually see your "arrow" float across new areas because the roads aren't programmed, and navigation recalculates over and over as it tries to route from the nearest old roads as you float through the unmarked area. Also road names are have been changing here in Northern VA so they don't appear in the listings for addresses. Also with changed exits and merge lanes it gets tricky in an unfamiliar area when approaching an exit/turn/on-ramp. That jacks up your traffic rerouting because sometimes it isn't aware that an exit has changed or even exists.

I'm actually in the market for an Android Auto head unit because of this.

You guys mentioned the Pioneer unit, do you get to keep on screen climate control, reverse cam, and other OEM head unit controls with it?

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush 79mm Pulley ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake GT500 Axlebacks UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs Koni STR.Ts 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
PONY Member

Garage
I bought my GT/CS convertible in JUune - it didn't come with the Navigation system. I didn't really miss it - I just plugged in my phone and used it. We bought another GT/CS in November (my husband fell in love with mine and wanted his own) both 2014 but his is a coup with the panoramic roof and it came with the navigation system. I really wish I had it. It is great. Well worth the money. Now the only choice I have is to get a Raxiom which isn't anywhere near the OEM but will look good and give me some of the options my husband has. Get the Navigation system! I would probably get the rear camera version if you can. My husband's didn't come with a rear camera and with the shape of our vehicles - hard to see what is behind you or in front of you for that matter.

(2) 2014 Mustang GT/CS Premium California Special Race Red
1 Convertible w/Black Top
1 Coupe with Panoramic Roof
Coupe has the navigation system, Vert after market Pioneer 8100 Nex with Metra Kit
Both 19 x 8.5-in. machined face with black
painted aluminum wheels
Both with 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust.
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Funny you should mention that. Mine is 2 versions behind and it navigates road construction areas perfectly. The live traffic monitoring handles it without a hitch for me so far. I get free lifetime updates on my Garmin, and it puts that to shame when going through construction areas so far. I'm sure there are cases where the Garmin does a better job but I haven't found one yet.

Updates are $149 and only come every 1-2 years. Since live traffic handles most detours and construction, they don't need updating often. They are supposed to release updates every year, but lag behind sometimes, that's why I said 1-2 years instead of every year.

Call the number on the GPS support screen and they'll verify all this. I just called then last week.
I'm not talking navigating around road construction for repairs. I'm talking about construction of new roads, highways, on ramps, moving roads etc. Navigation will have you trying to drive where roads do not exist and will have you driving past new roads because it does not know they exist.

Also the construction and traffic is part of siriusxm and requires a subscription. If sirius is not active you don't get that.

Until Navigation systems are connected to the internet and receive automatic updates for free, they will never be as good as a cell phone for navigation.

The navigation system is worth it because it gives you a touch screen and makes your infotainment system significantly nicer to use and provides much easier navigation of the rest of the media system and climate controls. However on newer vehicles they give you the touch screen now standard and you add navigation to it. I would not buy the navigation on those systems because the best part is the touch screen not the navigation itself.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Pretender the raxiom system is not your only choice. The Idata stuff will also keep a lot of the sync functions if you choose to use them. And then you get to choose between several Kenwood or pioneer head units to get the functionality that you want.

Stock 2016 EB
2014 Smart for Two.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Mike View Post
I have to disagree a bit. Around Northern VA and D.C. new roads, exits, and express lanes are popping up like crazy, it doesn't do well at all if you have a three year old map. You'll actually see your "arrow" float across new areas because the roads aren't programmed, and navigation recalculates over and over as it tries to route from the nearest old roads as you float through the unmarked area. Also road names are have been changing here in Northern VA so they don't appear in the listings for addresses. Also with changed exits and merge lanes it gets tricky in an unfamiliar area when approaching an exit/turn/on-ramp. That jacks up your traffic rerouting because sometimes it isn't aware that an exit has changed or even exists.

I'm actually in the market for an Android Auto head unit because of this.

You guys mentioned the Pioneer unit, do you get to keep on screen climate control, reverse cam, and other OEM head unit controls with it?
Yeah, I can see that happening. I don't travel areas with that kind of heavy construction and such, so location makes a big difference. I do run into the renamed roads issue, but the turn by turn has still been very accurate for me (even with updated Garmin / iPhone Maps).

When I travel, I have 3 GPS systems with me. None of them are perfect, but so far (for me) the system in my car is the best of the three. I understand that depending on where you are traveling to/from, this may not be the case all the time.

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

That Raxiom unit a few of you have mentioned was another thing I was going to mention as an option but it sounds like the general consensus is that it's decent but definitely not OEM-quality like the 8" screen is, so that puts that to rest. I think I'm definitely going to hunt for a GT with the navigation package and the heated seats if I can get it.

I've found a few with the navigation that have or don't have the heated seat buttons, one with a glass roof also, unfortunately none with navigation and recaros except for a few Roushes that are way above my pay grade but I can tolerate not having them. The list of Mustangs listed as GT Premiums that end up not being Premiums also annoys me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page