Long tube headers with Cats. Exhaust overhaul? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Long tube headers with Cats. Exhaust overhaul?

Right now in my car I've got just an aftermarket H-pipe (JBA) that goes from 3" to 2.75" (same as stock). I've been entertaining the idea of long tube headers in the not too distant future but I'd like to keep the Cats for emissions. To get around this it appears they make short x-pipes with Cats that are compatible with long tube headers. These x-pipes appear to only be available in 3" to 3" piping. This suggests I'd need to replace everything from the x-pipe back to 3" piping. Is this necessary or can a muffler shop bring that down from 3" to 2.75" so I can keep all my overaxle piping and axlebacks? Also, do they make short h-pipes that are compatible with long tube headers? I feel like I may be overthinking this. I don't think it'd be worth it for me to install long tubes if it meant overhauling my entire exhaust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Which brand are you looking at for the headers? JBA? I have BBK long tube headers and my catted X-pipe reduces down and connects to the factory clamps after the cats.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I was looking at JBA yes. I looked at the BBK catted X-pipe that you described here. Is that the one you used? Reading the description it doesn't clearly mention that it drops back down to 2.75" after the X. That is good to know that the ones you're using do that because I really wasn't interested in replacing my over axle pipes. How do you like the sound with the x-pipe? I was pretty thorough and listened to quite a few sound clips before choosing my current JBA H-pipe. I'd really like to keep an H-pipe but don't see any offered with long tubes. Perhaps I'm just being picky.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016
Apprentice

Due to haw the Coyote engine works you'll have a hard time finding an H pipe. I do like the sound of the H but from a performance standpoint they don't work well. An X pipe does something called exhaust scavenging and helps with performance in the higher RPM's so most (if not all) mfg's have gone to it.

Most all of the long tubes you can buy on the market bolt right up to the rear pipes. I assume you could buy a set that requires a custom exhaust all the way back but I would hope that would be stated in the description. But that would be outside of the norm.

I also have BBK headers. At first I purchased the catted version but I am supercharged and I wanted a little more flow so I also bought the off road x. To swap between them is only a 30 min or so job with a jack and a couple of jack stands.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016
GT Member

pretty certain JBA makes a catted h-pipe that necks down to 2.75" btw they make quality headers, matter of fact heres the part number 6685SHC

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016
PONY Member

Yea, JBA is one of the few manufacturers that offers a factory connection 3" to 2.75" x-pipe or a 3"-3" pipe for custom exhausts. I believe they also offer a full exhaust system that is 3" from the x-pipe all the way back to the mufflers. No need for a full 3" system though unless you're making huge amounts of power.
I don't think they make shorty h-pipes for their headers.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I've got a few choices that'll work with my current exhaust.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Love my JBA natural LTH's .... Wrapped them ******* in 150 FT of Titanium Heat Wrap and they look sexy now too. No fitment issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10426224_10153127279302835_5083193581545637875_n.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	490658  

Lots of parts. Still slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in