Buying Used Airraid CAI - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Buying Used Airraid CAI

I'm looking at a local guy selling a Airraid CAI that was used less than 3k miles for $150. I believe this is the Airraid Cold Air Intake - Synthaflow Oiled Filter that retails for $351.80 on AM.

Couple questions:

1. The seller confirm no tune is required (I don't yet have a tuner). Can I install it and then eventually have it tuned or if you buy the no tuned required CAI does that mean you should never ever have a tune go with it?

2. If it is already somewhat put together do I install it as one piece or do I need to disassemble it and install it piece by piece? I have never installed one and the installation videos are showing it installed piece by piece… Coupler by coupler etc. I wasn't sure if that was necessary if the whole unit was already assembled.

3. Seem like a decent price for a slightly to moderately used CAI?

Pic of CAI:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	490250  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

idk but some CAI's have an insert that you pu in/out for tuned/no tune..check with AM's site. You'll have to dissasemble for install but it's simple. Remember to put a rag in the lower part when removing the bolt that holds the large plastic piece in or if you drop tool/bolt it's a pita to get it out. $150 is a good price.

the rag bit is from my V6 but I believe it's applicable for the V8. side note these only add sound w/o tune there will be no HP addition but the sound improvement is why I bought mine.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

1. Do not run the car without a tune, with a tune-required CAI. It will run lean. The airraid might have an insert like Mud said.

2. I think you will need to take it apart, which is no big deal since it's probably just one hose clamp holding it together

3. I usually figure half price for used stuff, so it's about right

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
idk but some CAI's have an insert that you pu in/out for tuned/no tune..check with AM's site. You'll have to dissasemble for install but it's simple. Remember to put a rag in the lower part when removing the bolt that holds the large plastic piece in or if you drop tool/bolt it's a pita to get it out. $150 is a good price.

the rag bit is from my V6 but I believe it's applicable for the V8. side note these only add sound w/o tune there will be no HP addition but the sound improvement is why I bought mine.

I spoke with the seller again just a few minutes ago… Although he bought the no tune required intake he said that he did eventually have it tuned. When I asked him about the insert, which by the way is called a MVT or modular Venturi Tube, he said he is not very familiar with it but that he did not remove anything when he tuned for the intake. That seems counterproductive to tune for an intake but not remove the insert that helps increase the airflow doesn't it?

I asked him could he pop off the air filter and see if that insert is in there… Because I would not be able to put on the intake without a tune if I am understanding it correctly.....

If he does not have the insert and for whatever reason took it off just doesn't remember… Is it still a good deal even though I can't put it on until I get a tuner?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quick update… I had him pull off the filter and the six-inch velocity stack and there is no insert in the tubing which means either it was removed before he got it… He just told me he bought it from a mechanic friend… so maybe it was already removed or it is simple the race version which requires a tune.

I don't have a tuner yet I'm not sure when I'm going to get one… Maybe the next couple of months so I'm not sure whether to go ahead and grab it for $150 or not… Any thoughts
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

idk if you can get just the insert.....or if yours comes with it. if it has it it's a good deal if not idk. Like I said earlier...buy it for sound increases NOT power. Most folks IAT (intake air temp) goes up with these as you take in air from under the hood rather than from under the bumper = somewhat less power.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

OK so I talked to the seller again and I do not think that this intake has the MGT insert which means it would need a tune. I was going to buy a tuner eventually just not right away.

Come to find out he is also selling a Bama SCT X4 and said it has four unlocks left… He showed me a screen that said unmarried - i'm not super savvy with tuners so I'm assuming this means it's unlocked?

He wants $200 for the tuner. Do I have to use Bama with this tuner or can I use anyone… Even though it has a Bama sticker on the front of it?

Would you guys by the intake only for $150, the tuner only for $200 or buy them both for $350?

Edit: you cannot buy the MVT insert separately. There is a video on AM comparing the two and they are essentially the same intake except for the insert.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Then you have to add the tunes, and you're probably getting close to what you could buy an intake / tuner / tunes package for, from Bama or Brenspeed or whoever.

I think you can use the "Bama" labeled tuner with tunes from someone else, but not sure.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks again for the feedback. I talked with the guy at length..nice guy...sold his GT after getting too many speeding tickets...after only having the car for 3 weeks that doesn't seem too far fetched lol.

The CAI is in really, really good shape...almost looks new or close to it. The SCT X4 is unmarried and has 4 unlocks left so it is good to go. He wanted $350 for both and I wanted to pay $300 so we met at $320 for everything which seemed very fair to me.

I don't know anything about tunes or engines, to be perfectly honest. I'm somewhat of an IT guy so I feel like jumping right in with tunes without learning is foolish...almost like taking apart a really important PC and tinkering with the motherboard or something that you really don't know much about...not likely to have a good ending. I have a lot of payments left on this sled so I definitely don't want to do any crazy this early.

The guy did say something about "he thinks this tuner has 3 preset tunes on it" and his car was a 2011 GT also (like mine)... But for some reason I didn't think they would work on mine. I need to learn more. Heck, I don't even know how to turn the damn thing on lol.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Since the tuner came from Bama, it should have three Bama tunes on it, and it should have come with a configuration sheet that shows exactly what the tunes were written for. Also there is a "member number" with Bama. If you can get that information from the seller, you might luck out and find that it is set up for options that match your car, or not. Some of the options are user-configurable when you load the tunes.

There should also be some documentation on how to load tunes.

To turn the tuner on, you plug it in to the OBD port under the dash to the left side of the steering wheel.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

from what I know there is a 4 digit code on your car that has to match the tuner......it's a good chance it won't work with yours. It's a decent price and even if you don't tune yet ($150 for new tunes that will work) the tuner makes a good engine scan tool. As far as needing to use Bama, the answer is no. The tuner is what interfaces with your car anyone with the skill set can write tunes that you put on the tuner that you then load into the car.

fyi that is what I paid for my combo...I ended up reselling the tuner separately.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page