• 1 Post By Bryonl
  • 1 Post By dgc333
  • 1 Post By JBert
  • 1 Post By JBert
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Why Would Ford Include This Item In a Package?

Didn't want to hijack a thread, so I started a fresh discussion.

WHY would Ford INCLUDE the strut tower brace from the factory when you order a GT with 19" wheels?

Does this help them sell more 19" wheels?

Does this somehow increase the bottom line?

Why not simply sell the fancy wheel upgrade with no strut tower brace?

Is there an engineering reason to include it with the 19" wheels?

Bueller,,,,,,,, Bueller,,,,,,,,,,

RWSRWS

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The 19" wheels are intended to improve handling, with lower sidewall tires; sort of stiffens the whole thing up a bit. So the strut tower brace is there to help handle the increased load being transferred into the struts from the stiffer wheels/tires and also further stiffen the chassis.

So the whole package is about crisper handling and the strut tower brace is part of that.

Whether it actually makes any significant difference is an open debate.

Personally I like the idea of it, even if it is not significant, I figure why not? And it looks cool under the hood.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
GT Member
Classic Member

I installed a strut tower brace on my 1999 GT and felt an immediate change. Turning and cornering definitely improved. It was worth it.
crjackson2134 likes this.

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
PONY Member

My Ecoboost PP came with the K brace that ties the strut towers to the cowl. I just picked up a GT PP strut brace and immediately put it on. I always thought the car was very composed over rough pavement, the additional bracing makes it more so.

Dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryonl View Post
I installed a strut tower brace on my 1999 GT and felt an immediate change. Turning and cornering definitely improved. It was worth it.
The pre-S197 chassis had a lot more flex, so I'm not surprised by that.

On the S197 chassis I'm sure it does SOMETHING, just not sure it is significant or detectable by anyone less than a pro racer.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The 19" wheels are intended to improve handling, with lower sidewall tires; sort of stiffens the whole thing up a bit. So the strut tower brace is there to help handle the increased load being transferred into the struts from the stiffer wheels/tires and also further stiffen the chassis.

So the whole package is about crisper handling and the strut tower brace is part of that.

Personally I like the idea of it, even if it is not significant, I figure why not? And it looks cool under the hood.
I have 18" wheels I think. I have the base model. So going with 19" rims will improve handling?

Black 2014 Mustang GT Base
MRT Boss H Pipe, QTP(with wireless), KOOKS Side Pipe, W/O Resonators, FRS QUADS, Pro-Cal Tune
GT500 Valence, MMD Window Pannels Kenwood Excelon DDX9903S
2 Alpine PDX-V9
2 Alpine SBR-S8
Morel Elate 6.5"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSRWS View Post
Didn't want to hijack a thread, so I started a fresh discussion.

Bueller,,,,,,,, Bueller,,,,,,,,,,

RWSRWS
PM'd

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
I have 18" wheels I think. I have the base model. So going with 19" rims will improve handling?
A bit, not sure how noticeable it would be by itself.

The overall diameter of your 18" tires is about 27". If you went to 19" wheels, the new tires would have lower sidewalls to maintain the same 27" overall diameter. So you end up with more wheel; which is very stiff because it is metal; and less tire, which is relatively soft / spongy because it is rubber. So there is less movement in the tire and the whole thing gets a bit more responsive. The ride also gets a bit firmer, or "harsher" to some people.

You could achieve the same thing by using lower sidewall tires on the 18" wheels. But this would also reduce the overall diameter, which is sort of like going with slightly steeper rear gearing; and throws off the speedometer a little bit. Most hard core road track cars use 18" wheels with the lower profile tires, because the 18" wheels are lighter than the 19's.
BleednBlue likes this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016
PONY Member

Just to be clear not all Mustangs that came from the factory with 19" wheels have the strut brace or the K brace.

A guy I work with has a GT with the 50th anniversary appearance package. It came with 19" wheels and has neither the K or strut brace. If you order the base Ecoboost with the 19" wheel & stripe package you don't get either.

If you order the 20" wheel package on either the Ecoboost or GT you get the strut tower brace but you don't get the K brace (correct me if I am wrong about the K brace). The Ecoboost with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has the K brace but no strut tower brace. The GT with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has both the strut tower and K braces. The key to getting one or both braces is the inclusion of high performance summer tires. Both Performance Packages and the 20" wheel package come with the summer tires.

Dave
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Just to be clear not all Mustangs that came from the factory with 19" wheels have the strut brace or the K brace.

A guy I work with has a GT with the 50th anniversary appearance package. It came with 19" wheels and has neither the K or strut brace. If you order the base Ecoboost with the 19" wheel & stripe package you don't get either.

If you order the 20" wheel package on either the Ecoboost or GT you get the strut tower brace but you don't get the K brace (correct me if I am wrong about the K brace). The Ecoboost with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has the K brace but no strut tower brace. The GT with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has both the strut tower and K braces. The key to getting one or both braces is the inclusion of high performance summer tires. Both Performance Packages and the 20" wheel package come with the summer tires.

Dave
You are in the wrong subforum. This is a discussion about 2011-2014 Mustangs, not the 2015+ models.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
Apprentice

Strut tower brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post

JBert, in your opinion, I'm getting lowering springs for my '06 GT for better handling, and was thinking to add the tower brace as well, so you are saying I would not waste my money if I do add the tower brace.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchopper62 View Post
. . . . . so you are saying I would not waste my money if I do add the tower brace.
There are some other threads about this with some other opinions, you can have some fun reading up on it if you want.

For my money, they are worth it if . . . . I don't expect any major difference and I can get one for about $100 or so.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
You are in the wrong subforum. This is a discussion about 2011-2014 Mustangs, not the 2015+ models.
Oops!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page