6 speed man oil ? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blazin72

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

6 speed man oil ?

So I was wondering what kind of manual Transmission fluid is in my 2013 GT 6 speed row your own box? Is it like auto trans fluid or motor oil is it a heavy viscosity or thin like extra virgin olive oil? I am just wondering not that my trans needs any fluid I hope not anyway. Actually since I am asking can it be checked easy and how hard is it to add fluid?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016
Apprentice

It's pretty heavy lube, compared to engine oil - 75W-90. I used Royal Purple for the MT in my 2006, as well as the differential.

http://www.theoilfinder.com/en_US/eq...tang_EFt8Pkmql
It's expensive, but in my opinion, worth the money.

JR

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
The fill plug is on the rear-passenger side of the transmission and may be a little tricky to get to.
Are you having any issues or noticing any leaks from the transmission? If not, then there really is no reason to check or add fluid.
Your owners manual lists the spec and quantity for the oil.
crjackson2134 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
The fill plug is on the rear-passenger side of the transmission and may be a little tricky to get to.
Are you having any issues or noticing any leaks from the transmission? If not, then there really is no reason to check or add fluid.
Your owners manual lists the spec and quantity for the oil.
Yup, the drain and fill plugs are on the passenger side of the trans. The manual only gives you a Ford number for the type of fluid, but a buddy of mine is a Ford tech and he pulled up the Ford fluid spec site/resource and showed that number equalling 75W-90 gear oil. Pretty sure the amount is 2.8 qts., but I think it might be like differentials, fill until it runs out the fill hole, the manual does have the exact spec for the amount though.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
It is a 75w-90 but be careful because they're not all the same.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

MT-82 Users:

I'll throw in my 2 cents for consideration.

Ford originally specified a heavier oil (75W-90, iirc) for the MT-82 but there were complaints about 'nibbling' on the 1-2 shift (and others). The spec was revised (for the '12 model year?) and made retroactive for all MT-82's to a lighter oil (5W-30). There is an additive, XL-18, that Ford adds, too, that makes things more silky, too.

On 'another site', there is a lengthy thread about the trans oil for MT-82's and the recommendation is 75W-90 for hot weather climates (where temperatures don't get below 50 F very often) and 5W-30 for colder climates. My own experience is that I just installed Amsoil MTG (75W-90) and it was a mistake (LOL) because eastern Missouri gets pretty cool and there is a nibble on the 1-2 and 4-5 shifts until things warm up. I work around the 1-2 nibble by starting in 2nd or shifting from 1 to 3. I will be switching to Amsoil MTF Syncromesh fluid (as was recommended....).

Redline MTL is used by some with good success, too. I am not pushing Amsoil, just reporting that it is popular for the MT-82. Some people will add the XL-18, too, to aftermarket fluids but some don't. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

HTH,

Chris

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016
Apprentice

I've heard of a few people adding a bottle of friction modifier as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

baggyp:

I would fork out the cash for XL-18 additive and not mess around with the differential friction modifier stuff. I'm a bit cautious, lol. This transmission is a bit sensitive to fluid and I am not sure if friction modifier would do the same thing as the more expensive XL-18 stuff. The cost difference is small compared to the cost of a rebuild (in the worst case).

"Bob is the oil guy" (BITOG.com) may have some good info on XL-18 vs. friction modifier. I'll go see if I can something worth re-posting.

Chris

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page