Ingnorant Tech Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Ingnorant Tech Question

I am so sorry, but I am truly ignorant on E85 fuel, how it works, and what cars can run it.

I have a 2014 GT with the FRPP TrackKey and I currently run 91-93 octane pump gas (depending on the station I fill up at).

The other day I had to stop and fuel up my "company" car on my way to work at a gas station I hadn't been to in a long while. I noticed they had new pumps and they had a separate fuel nozzle for ethanol fuel. It was a Texaco, and the buttons had a brand label that was something like MexiFuel, not a Texaco product, minimum 70% ethanol, E104. (There were two ethanol choices side by side actually, one might have read E85, and the other E104.)

If nothing in what I've typed so far sounded ignorant, then my questions here is were the really ignorant stuff starts...

With E85, do you have to run an E85 specific tune and injectors? E85 wont work in a stock Mustang will it? If it does, would one see an increase in performance running E104? Am I right to assume E104 is basically a 104 octane fuel? Would one need to be running a tune to see any increase in performance running the E104? If you're tuned for ethanol, can you run pump gas in a pinch?

School this ignorant person! (Gently please! )

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Check out the E85 Thread below yours... seems to be a good starting place

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016
GT Member
Classic Member

We are all learners, so no need to ask to be schooled gently. I am not an expert, but let me try and add some knowledge. Our Mustangs were not built for E85 gas. Vehicles that do use E85 were specifically built to run E85. Our cars run best on pure gas, not gas diluted with ethanol. Power and gas mileage will go up with pure gas also. Pure gas is available in some rural farm areas where gas diluted with ethanol fouls farm equipment. I have never seen E104 gas, and only run 100 octane low lead in the airplanes I flew, so I have doubts that gas is 104 octane. Hope this helps. Good question and good luck! Let us know if you find more information.

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016
Apprentice

You can mix 2-3 gallons into regular gas and your ECU will compensate. In order to run straight e85/e70 you need tuning and larger 47 lb injectors. A 91 or 93 ethanol clear would be your best option with stock injectors. Lots of info available online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in