2013 Mustang GT - Tapping/Knock Nose Ford Refuses Fix - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 Mustang GT - Tapping/Knock Nose Ford Refuses Fix

Hello all,

I have a loud knocking noise coming from my engine in which i took into Ford of Alhambra CA to check out. Ford stated they could not replicate the tick after looking at it for a week! The noise is clearly there and I included a link from my youtube channel to show you all. Ford basically refused to even take a better look at it and said there is no fix for the issue and can not be replicated. I do not know what to do.

by the way: its not the normal bbq tick noise, but rather a knocking or tapping noise. Please help guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elrh24IJ96w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
The Dealer told you that, not Ford. Try another Dealer.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016
Rookie

My car that exact same tapping sound. Only when it is at idle and when it has warmed up. I have brought mine in as well and was told it was normal.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Try 5W30 oil and a bottle of Hyperlube,this is what I use and my 5.0 runs as quiet as a Swiss watch.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016
Apprentice

I recommend you stop talking to dealers and contact Ford Customer Service right away. Don't bother taking it to another dealer, it has already been coded in the Service network as being looked at and the next Service Department is going to see that report. I found out the hard way if you try to escalate an issue through service then Customer Service has little room to help you. By the time I called Ford Customer Service all they could say was "we are sorry you are not satisfied but your issue has already been reviewed." They would not even tell me the findings of the computer 'dump' that was sent by one of the dealers.

Do yourself a favor and call 1 (800) 392-3673 and let them know of your issue. My trying to solve things by going to another dealer or two ended up with me paying an independent garage to perform the TSB to fix my car at a cost of over $600 out of my pocket.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Which TSB?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016
Banned

PM Deysha (Ford customer service rep) on this forum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016
Rookie

Any news on this one. I'm planning to bring mine in soon to a different dealer for this issue.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3176 View Post
Any news on this one. I'm planning to bring mine in soon to a different dealer for this issue.
I always go prepared for battle if I go to a service center at a dealership. If confronted with the "that's a normal sound" when they reply back, just go ahead and find another 2013 (or any other 5.0L) on their lot and ask them to start it up and drive til warm, bring them both back, side to side, and record both yours and the other car. If your car makes the noise and the other one doesn't, THEN have them EXPLAIN why the noise is normal. Ensure to get their face and name in the video so, the name of the service manager, his face too. Then call Deysha and upload the video to YouTube for all to see. I believe they would then go-down-on-you to fix the car. When presented with evidence that shows' it's NOT normal and another car of the exact same type does NOT have that noise, you have them ON RECORD. Of course, then they may accuse you of not changing your oil or using incorrect oil, or driving your car too hard, or some other non-sense. That noise is fairly common, and there are lots of videos on this board with it.... and I'm sure the links will point you to the right solution. Some had serious issues warranting a rebuild, some didn't. What your particular issue is, remains to be seen.
Apprentice

Sorry dude. Bob Wondries sucks. I had to deal with them for work and what you are getting is what they are known for. A bulk of their business is for various fleet services and they give zero zits about anything except billing. I had their tech in a work truck stall out on a hill and get stuck but the next day was told nothing was wrong with a whopper of an explanation; The truck was just cooling down. You know - one of those cool downs when your vehicle goes up hills. Everyone has heard of that. I remember when we purchased the vehicle they said this can only travel on perfectly flat roads - if it goes on a hill it may need a nap...

Simply put go somewhere else. You are wasting time and money at that dealer. Also you are in Alhambra. Why aren't you driving a Toyota or Honda 10 miles under the speed limit?

When I lived in Pasadena, Sarkis at A&A Auto repair took care of me. It is on Colorado Blvd near the Vons on Sierra Madre in an old fire house. If he is still there he always stood by his work even if he ran his shop like a madman. I did not realize how good I had it until I moved and had to find a new mechanic.

Good luck to you.
Rookie

So I brought my car into the dealership to have this noise looked at again. I told then that this was the second time this car has been looked at. So they had it all day drove it scanned it etc. They agreed there was a noise but could find not problem with the car. The guy was nice and said if there was any part they know they could use to fix it they would. He said basically it was injector pulse and he would write up that they did hear the noise. He said if it ever throws a code to bring it in right away so they can fix it.
GT Member

Injector Pulse? That is a new excuse I never heard before.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Unhappy

I have been really lucky with my 2011 GT,no problems other than a bad fuel pump, which Ford replaced under warranty.Now that my total warranty has expired I take my Mustang to the performance shop for my maintance,oil changes ,radiator,brake fluid flush,seems like Ford has become good at selling cars, and terrible at the service end of the deal.
Apprentice

I had this exact same noise. Changing oil from 5w-50 to 0w-40 fixed it. Now i run 5w-30 and its still ok.
Rookie

So i tried changing the oil to 5w-30 and guess what it worked. I was shocked. What really surprised me was how smooth over all the motor ran. I could tell the moment the engine started running after the oil change that something was different. I am surprised they recommend 5w-50 at all it made the car sound terrible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page