CJ Mani Before LT's - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
CJ Mani Before LT's

So I have a 2014 GT with airaid intake and Borla S-type axle backs. I am looking to possibly do one mod and it may be another year before the next follows. I am looking at either the CJ mani setup (Cobra jet manifold, intake, throttle body) or some Kooks long tube headers or similar quality headers. I really would like to do the Cobra Jet setup first. But is adding this with a basically factory exhaust going to be pointless? Does anybody have a Cobra Jet setup with axle backs only and had decent results??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016
Apprentice

I ran the cj setup with offroad X pipe and stock axle backs. Honestly, you will not see the gains up top (whole point of the cj) without at least a offroad midpipe IMO. I know people say you don't gain anything with axle backs, but I did notice going to a straight through 3 inch race muffler the car feels stronger 6800 up to 7600 range.

If your not going to run offroad pipes then I would recommend doing first some Kooks headers and high flow cats with a more straight through (non chambered muffler). Or offroad midpipe with straight through axle back with stock headers. Either setup would be pretty equal power wise assuming similiar gas and tuning. Aftermarket headers and offroad mids would give you another 5-12hp at peak.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016

You can definitely put the Cobra Jet Manifold on before you do headers. We call that our 475C package shown here: 2011-14 Mustang GT Brenspeed 475C Package This will produce 475 flywheel HP with those 4 items. Manifold, 60mm TB, CAI, and the calibration. If you want to do Long Tubes after that you will net about 20-25 flywheel HP which is a solid gain. If you have absolutely no plans to supercharge in the future then the CJ package is the only way to go to maximize your N/A car! It feels like a supercharged 3V.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The CJ, for the majority that I have seen, didn't lose tq down low and made numbers from a little after mid range and up in the higher rpms. I would say it's definitely a good starting point. The lt's and other will only compliment it, as in more rwhp just like Brenspeed mentioned.

I have the Boss 302 setup and ported my TB and with the right tune, I didn't feel a loss down low in torque. She feels like she'll still move out. When I go WOT, around 5K rpms, she screams up to top. I haven't put her on the dyno, which is weird for me, but I'd rather see what the track improvements will be now. But hopefully I can port it before the next track outing and with some DR's.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016
BOSS Member

stickers...lot's of stickers

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page