Installing MGW shifter and changing <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> oil. Can I do it in my garage? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Installing MGW shifter and changing trans oil. Can I do it in my garage?

Hi all,

I'm from the UK and upgraded from my 05 V6 to a 2011 5.0 manual. Just waiting for it to arrive now. It's still running the stock shifter, and I can only imagine the stock trans fluid.

I plan to buy an MGW shifter (as long as they will ship to me) and I've located some Amsoil MTF in the UK. I've decided to go with that over MTG because let's be honest, it's the UK. The weather sucks.

Now I am able to use a garage with a hydraulic lift and such and I really want to install the shifter and change the oil myself because I don't trust my local garage with a $500 shifter.

I've read a ton of threads but I just need a definitive answer. Can I install the shifter and change the oil by myself?

What else will I need? Is it just the shifter, oil, a pump and tools, or are there other components and brackets that I need to get all this done? (I heard something about a trans mount but not sure if I need it).

I plan to do this literally as soon as the Mustang gets here because I don't fancy forking out for a new trans and shipping to the UK!

Any help and advice is appreciated.

On a side note, if you know anywhere I can get an MGW shifter shipped to the UK let me know, I really want one!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016
Rookie

It only took me a couple hours to install the MGW Race Spec Shifter in my garage on jack stands. The hardest part was getting the boot that attaches directly to the transmission on. If you have any mechanical ability you will be fine. MGW made a great product. Fit and finish are top notch.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You can do both of these jobs with no problem. Just take your time. Also be sure to watch the install videos on the MGW site. No special tools required. No additional bits needed if you are getting the latest version of the shifter. You will love it!!!

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016
GT Member

I just did my mgw race spec yesterday, two jack stands and a jack. It was very easy. The trans fluid is even easier. When I did my trans fluid I just had the "screw on" hand pump that goes on top of the bottle. it took a while but it worked. very easy.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016
PONY Member

Did my mgw and driveshaft at the same time using 4 jacks and a floor jack. Super easy with the driveshaft out of the way, almost worth unbolting the front u joint just so you don't have to work around it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Totally off topic, but was wondering....are there lots of Mustang GT's in London? weird question, I lived there for almost 8 years and to be honest with you, never seen one in London....We were heading on the M1 and thought we caught a glimpse of one LOL!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloStang2010 View Post
Did my mgw and driveshaft at the same time using 4 jacks and a floor jack. Super easy with the driveshaft out of the way, almost worth unbolting the front u joint just so you don't have to work around it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i think unbolting it would make it harder.. that's more to do.. I didn't have a problem at all with my drive shaft there. I did however get the newest mgw race spec that is smaller and you can put it in down through the inside of the car..

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
Totally off topic, but was wondering....are there lots of Mustang GT's in London? weird question, I lived there for almost 8 years and to be honest with you, never seen one in London....We were heading on the M1 and thought we caught a glimpse of one LOL!
I would have thought there would be a lot of Mustangs in London, I don't spend much time there but I would imagine there are. I used to see a lot around Portsmouth, and I know there's a lot around North London areas. I don't see a great deal down in Plymouth but here and there.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys.

I was just thinking. Do you need to warm the car up first before changing the fluid? And how warm does it need to be? I will have to drive to the garage about 17 miles is that enough?

Also for getting the bolts out to instal the shifter on the trans. Would you say I need an extra long reach socket to get to it? Or one of those special bendy ones? I just have a standard socket set at the moment.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextas' Stang View Post

I was just thinking. Do you need to warm the car up first before changing the fluid? And how warm does it need to be? I will have to drive to the garage about 17 miles is that enough?

Also for getting the bolts out to instal the shifter on the trans. Would you say I need an extra long reach socket to get to it? Or one of those special bendy ones? I just have a standard socket set at the moment.
watch the mgw videos it literally explains everything. when the car is on jack stands, place the jack under the transmission to support it. then take the 15 mm nuts off the transmission support and the 4 18mm bolts out of that support. then lower the jack so the transmission is hanging there. You will need a 12-16 inch extension with a deep 10mm socket to get the two nuts off the stock shifter bracket that attatches to the body. you will need a 1/2 inch socket and a 10mm wrench for other bolts. a ratcheting wrench is best but a regular one will work. To slide the bolt out of the top you will need to pull down on the transmission a bit and slide it out. no special tools needed.

17 miles will be plenty warm, probably to warm to touch actually.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
Quote:

watch the mgw videos it literally explains everything. when the car is on jack stands, place the jack under the transmission to support it. then take the 15 mm nuts off the transmission support and the 4 18mm bolts out of that support. then lower the jack so the transmission is hanging there. You will need a 12-16 inch extension with a deep 10mm socket to get the two nuts off the stock shifter bracket that attatches to the body. you will need a 1/2 inch socket and a 10mm wrench for other bolts. a ratcheting wrench is best but a regular one will work. To slide the bolt out of the top you will need to pull down on the transmission a bit and slide it out. no special tools needed.

17 miles will be plenty warm, probably to warm to touch actually.
Ah okay I see. Only thing I can see being a problem here is I'm using a hydraulic lift to raise the car, don't think there's a way for me to lower the transmission unless I only raise the car to waist level and stick something underneath it. Would that work?

Also check this out, just got this email from Amsoil!?

Will,

Thank you for your question. AMSOIL does not recommend either of these two products to be used in your 2011 Mustang GT manual transmission. They do not meet the performance specification requirements and so we would not support their use in your transmission for this reason. For the TR6060 manual transmission you will want to consider using the recommended AMSOIL Signature Series Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) that meets the Mercon 5 spec requirement. Even though this is a manual transmission, Ford calls for this specification and so the ATF is what we recommend and support. If you have the MT82 transmission AMSOIL does not have a product for you at this time
GT Member

Quote:
Ah okay I see. Only thing I can see being a problem here is I'm using a hydraulic lift to raise the car, don't think there's a way for me to lower the transmission unless I only raise the car to waist level and stick something underneath it. Would that work?

Also check this out, just got this email from Amsoil!?

Will,

Thank you for your question. AMSOIL does not recommend either of these two products to be used in your 2011 Mustang GT manual transmission. They do not meet the performance specification requirements and so we would not support their use in your transmission for this reason. For the TR6060 manual transmission you will want to consider using the recommended AMSOIL Signature Series Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) that meets the Mercon 5 spec requirement. Even though this is a manual transmission, Ford calls for this specification and so the ATF is what we recommend and support. If you have the MT82 transmission AMSOIL does not have a product for you at this time
you don't need anything to lower the transmission. just let it hang there. If you have someone that can just hold it up while you unbolt the support bracket real quick then your good to go. You just don't want the weight of the transmission on the bracket when your taking the support off. But if you do the lower it halfway and stick something under there to hold it in place then unbolt it, that will work to.

there was a thread on the amsoil fluid on svtperformance forum by unleashedbeast. It had something to do with not meeting ford specs to the T so they technically cant claim its for our cars. a lot of people use it though and say it works great.

BOSS Member

Garage
For what it's worth, I just put MTF in mine about a month ago. It is a 5w-30 vs 75w-90 for the factory fluid. I can't say that it feels any better or worse than the factory fluid.
Rookie

Garage
OP I just installed the MGW Race Spec today using a lift. Pretty simple job. You will not be disappointed. Also note, you can do it 100% by yourself.

2013 RS1, 1 of 1 Grabber Blue w/pearl, 6M. Brembo package, Roush Performance suspension upgrade. Roush Performance exhaust. Roush Phase 1 TVS.
Apprentice
Classic Member

As the others said, you can definitely do both in your garage on jack stands.

For anyone having issues with the boot - I used chopsticks. Didn't mar anything and didn't pierce the boot.

1968 Mustang Coupe /
2012 Black Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Black / Saddle, 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page