Should I get brembos? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
Kind of a related question:
Can I upgrade my stock brakes with better rotors, pads, and stainless lines and achieve better braking, better feel, and less fade to the point I can lightly track my car or autocross it instead of upgrading to a Brembo package?

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I really like the Lund tune. I especially like how he tuned the trans since I'm an auto. Doesn't upshift as quickly as stock and the shifts are nice and firm. Any custom tune that requires datalogging is almost always going to be better than a canned tune IMO.

Back to my original question, does anyone know if vorshlag offers a forum discount or coupons?

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
GT Member
S197 Member

You can, but, with how cheap the brembo upgrade is, if you're going to be doing any real track activities, it doesn't make sense not to just go ahead with the better calipers

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
Kind of a related question:
Can I upgrade my stock brakes with better rotors, pads, and stainless lines and achieve better braking, better feel, and less fade to the point I can lightly track my car or autocross it instead of upgrading to a Brembo package?
From my experience if you just put some higher temperature pads to reduce brake fade you should be fine. I have some on my 88 LX with stock brake components, yes drums on rear, and can run 20 minute sessions on road course with no problems. These pads not real good for street use cause they need some heat in them to work well. https://youtu.be/ldrDFD59NQU
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Just pulled the trigger on the brembo kit from vorshlag. I think that the color scheme of the stock brembo calipers with the red logo would work well with my car. Plus the fact that they pack well is even better. Hopefully I will notice a difference compared to the stock brakes.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

PONY Member

IMO and experience the braking requirements for road courses and autocross are quite different. On a road course the speeds are much higher and the time on track is much longer. The SN197 Mustang is a fairly heavy car and brake fade is a real concern. Track capable pads, high temp fluid and air cooling ducts will be necessary especially as skill levels increase. In autocross the speeds are lower and the time on track is much shorter. If you're on track for much over a minute in an autocross the course is either unusually long or you're just slow. The main braking requirement in autocross is good initial bite and modulation. The last thing you want in autocross are pads that need to build up a lot of heat before they work well. The only thing in autocross that taxes the brake's fade resistance is the fact that the corners come at you much more quickly than they do on a road course. During an autocross usually your left foot is either braking or hovering just above the pedal while your right foot is operating the throttle. On a road course even in a fast car with a skilled driver there is a little time between corners for the brakes to cool a bit. This is where air cooling ducts really come into play. The only time I got the brakes fairly hot at an autocross was several years ago in my '72 'Cuda at a fun autocross where we could make as many back to back runs as we wanted. It was a fast course and I was giving rides to some friends. At the end of the third run I could smell the brakes coming across the exit timers. It still stopped OK, but I didn't think a fourth run would be a good idea either.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So I finally got a chance to unbox the brembo kit from vorshlag and I have to say they did an A+ job with the packing. Everything arrived undamaged and in mint condition. They weren't kidding when they say they pack well. Maybe they should give lessons to the people at ford racing since their brembo kit really contains no packing at all, they just throw everything in a cardboard box. Now I'll just have to wait until the weather warms up so I can install them. On a side note, does anyone know where I can get replacement washers for the russell stainless brake lines? I already have those installed and will be reusing them when I install the brembos

PONY Member

OP;

Be sure to but some anti-squeal stuff for the back of the pads and the backer plates. I installed some ceramic pads without it, and they squeaaaaaled like little piggies. I can't remember what stuff I bought, but it was red and almost like a silicone sealant, and it works very well.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

For sure. Hawk provides an anti squeal compound with all of their pads as that is what I am going with. I put it on the stock GT size pads and they are quiet as fudge. In my experience ceramic pads squeal more than other high performance pads. I tried american muscle's pro stop rotors and pads before going HPS and they sucked, worse than stock braking. And they squealed like a pig, haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page