'14 GT Lazy Throttle Cure w/o Voiding Warranty? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

'14 GT Lazy Throttle Cure w/o Voiding Warranty?

Probably the biggest complaint i have about the car is the horribly lazy throttle response. Unless you put your foot into it, it just isn't very responsive. Two questions:
  1. Is there a way to improve the throttle response without voiding or reducing the warranty? I understand the Track Key helps, but the warranty is reduced to 3/36.
  2. How do I know if I have the latest flash of the Ford ECU software? I remember getting an update in my old SVTF, and it made all the difference in the world.
The car is currently in storage, so I have time to get ready for spring.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016
Apprentice

Called stock tuning unfortunately. If you plan an aftermarket tune it will take care of that for sure.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
Apprentice

Try this, it's free. It worked for me and several others. 1.Turn your key to on but do not start. 2.Grab the accelerator pedal and slowly press it down all the way to the floor. 3.keep your hand around the pedal, allow it to come back up slowly and right before it tops out pull slightly to make certain it is fully extended. 4.Repeat these steps two more times.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by califsp View Post
Try this, it's free. It worked for me and several others. 1.Turn your key to on but do not start. 2.Grab the accelerator pedal and slowly press it down all the way to the floor. 3.keep your hand around the pedal, allow it to come back up slowly and right before it tops out pull slightly to make certain it is fully extended. 4.Repeat these steps two more times.
And this does what exactly?

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016

Simply purchase an SCT X4 w/ a custom calibration and load it on. 2011-2014 Mustang GT Custom Tuned SCT X4 Programmer *HUGE GAINS* When you go to the dealer just load the stock tune back on and leave the programmer at home. Its really up to your dealer on how lenient they are on modifications so you should ask!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
PONY Member

Garage
The FRPP TracKey "tune" improves throttle response and maintain a semblance of a warranty. It will only work on you 2014 Mustang though if manufactured after a certain month in 2013, and it has to be installed by a tech at your local Ford dealer in order for you to maintain your warranty.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
PONY Member

Garage
The Ford Racing ProCal tune markedly improved throttle response in my '13. Pretty mild power gains (+16 claimed) but moves torque down in the lower RPM range adding 60 ft. lb. at 1500 RPM. The biggest improvement was to the overall driveability and throttle response. Installing this tune forces you to use only 91+ octane gas though.
freewayflyer and BleednBlue like this.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenspeed View Post
Simply purchase an SCT X4 w/ a custom calibration and load it on. 2011-2014 Mustang GT Custom Tuned SCT X4 Programmer *HUGE GAINS* When you go to the dealer just load the stock tune back on and leave the programmer at home. Its really up to your dealer on how lenient they are on modifications so you should ask!
You know, I'd love to do this too, but it's my understanding that even if reflashed to original tune, the dealer can still tell, and it's one of the first things checked for if you have an engine or performance issue.

My local dealer told me right out of the gate "if you install a tune, or ANY drivetrain/suspension/exhaust modifications, we will void all Ford warranties associated with your vehicle".

I really wish there were a list of friendly dealers.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
PONY Member

I've never used one, but there are "gadgets" you install on the wiring for the accelerator pedal that do something to amplify or boost the throttle response. I think all they do is make the pedal more sensitive (i.e. if you push the pedal down a certain percentage, the gadget puts some kind of multiplier on that input so the the computer opens the throttle body more than it originally would). But I don't know if they really do anything more than you could duplicate by just having a fast, lead foot when you work the pedal. I would imagine you'd want to remove it before going in for warranty work.

Here is one: (not an endorsement)
https://www.sprintboostersales.com/whyitworks.cfm

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Rookie

Garage
Even if you do floor it there is still a PE delay. If you have track apps look at your A/f during WOT, for the first few seconds it will still be 14:1(assuming 10% ethanol)
Apprentice

turn the key to the on position, wait til all warning lights go off, slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and slowly release. Turn the key off and start vehicle. It works.... for a little while. Your car learns how you drive and if you're not hammering it quite often it seems to want to make sure you really do want to go full throttle.

2012 GT. Auto. K&N drop in filter, Pypes pypebomb axle back, Bama 93R tune. Better tires, x-pipe to come. Resonators to go.
BOSS Member

Garage
This works and will not void your warranty.
PedalMAX for Ford

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

Last edited by Thereaper; 01-31-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Banned

This may be a placebo effect, but I feel I get a little better response and driveability when I put my Brembo package car into advance track sport mode. Hold brake pedal down and tap button twice. Brembo cars have some tweaks in the ECM so I don't know if that makes any difference in this situation.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I've never used one, but there are "gadgets" you install on the wiring for the accelerator pedal that do something to amplify or boost the throttle response. I think all they do is make the pedal more sensitive (i.e. if you push the pedal down a certain percentage, the gadget puts some kind of multiplier on that input so the the computer opens the throttle body more than it originally would). But I don't know if they really do anything more than you could duplicate by just having a fast, lead foot when you work the pedal. I would imagine you'd want to remove it before going in for warranty work.

Here is one: (not an endorsement)
https://www.sprintboostersales.com/whyitworks.cfm

I installed one of these. It's called PedalMax. It helped, but in the end, the tune really woke it up.

2016 Roush Stage 3 Phase 2 (727hp) Convertible- Convertible bar, Roush (red) coil covers, blacked out tails, 20% tint
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
This may be a placebo effect, but I feel I get a little better response and driveability when I put my Brembo package car into advance track sport mode. Hold brake pedal down and tap button twice. Brembo cars have some tweaks in the ECM so I don't know if that makes any difference in this situation.
It doesn't do anything. There is only one set of throttle tables. 2015s with selectable driving modes have multiple tables but the 2011-2014s don't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page