CEL Codes after CAI/Tune - ECU Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

CEL Codes after CAI/Tune - ECU Question

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - about 37k miles.

Mostly stock - I have added Borla axle backs. No other real changes other than appearance.

I installed my Airaid Race CAI and new tunes about a week ago. The CAI does not have a MVT insert. The install went smooth and there were no issues there. The tune was uploaded but right after, when I cranked the car for the first time there was a LOT of noise under the hood along with a significant amount of knocking. It did that for about 2 minutes and then settled down. Idled fine at about 1000 rpm's. I test drove it after and it was fine..seemed crisper with better throttle response. No CEL. That was last weekend. I have driven it it once since with no issues or weird sounds.

Cranked today and CEL came on. Checked codes with with my tuner and came up:

P0100 - Mass or airflow sensor A circuit
P0108 - Manifold absolute pressure / barometric pressure sensor circuit high
P0110 - Intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit bank 1

I talked at length with a performance guy at Airaid and he was really nice and gracious with his time considering we were talking about a used CAI. Albeit it looked new but it was not new, nonetheless. His recommendation was to remove the CAI and clean the MAF with mass airflow cleaner in case anything had built up on and could be affecting the extricated integrity of it.

I also emailed my tuner and he emailed me right back and said he had not seen that before but wanted me to verify the strategy code so I sent him a screenshot. He said that changes everything, that the code I sent him references a VJK0. At some point my car was flashed by ford, and the XNF3 number I gave originally was not correct. He said my tune needed to reflect the strategy code.

The issue is, the sticker on my car in the engine area shows XFN3. I sent him a picture but he said the sticker is NOT correct. Is that unusual?

He did send me a new tune but I have not yet loaded it. This is my first tune so I don't want to mess the engine up and the sounds the first go round were frightening lol.

Any experts on here seen this before?

TIA

2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Current Mods:

Borla S-Type Axle Backs, Billet GT Fuel Door, Strut Tower Brace, Raxiom Tail Light Sequencers, Airraid CAI, Steeda Race Tune, RTR Racing Stripes, Blacked Out Rear Deck & 5.0 Emblems, Side Louvers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
BOSS Member

Let's just say, not unusual............................

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
Rookie

This may seem basic, but was your MAF plugged in correctly? I accidentally left my MAF unplugged once after cleaning it on my old Explorer and it gave me similar codes for the IAT and MAF circuits being open. If the IAT and MAF sensors are integrated into the same unit, which I believe they are, then I'd look at the electrical connection at the MAF housing to make sure it's seated correctly and that there are no broken pins or wires.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I checked the mass airflow sensor wiring and it seems to be OK. Keep in mind it was working fine with my stock intake Kit and it is the same housing and wiring connection that was used for just five minutes before I put the new cold air intake on the car. The tuner has not yet been able to figure it out and has said he's never seen the three codes that my car is throwing which has me more concern. I'm wondering if I should just put my stock intake Kit back on it flashback to stock and not try to tinker with the engine which might be above my pay grade.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Current Mods:

Borla S-Type Axle Backs, Billet GT Fuel Door, Strut Tower Brace, Raxiom Tail Light Sequencers, Airraid CAI, Steeda Race Tune, RTR Racing Stripes, Blacked Out Rear Deck & 5.0 Emblems, Side Louvers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016
BOSS Member

Here's my suggestion, the oem CAI is more than enough for that engine (CID & RPM).....pull it off....the tune, well, unless you have someone who is data logging your engine, it's really no better than your great grandparents taking their car to "Tune-Masters" for a $29.95 tune-up......and there is a lot of potential issues (especially logetivity) that can/will/does occur as a result of "we-be-expert" tuners.....I'd scrap that too....IMHO of course

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'd return it all to stock. If that fixes the problem and you still want a tune, find a reputable Dyno Tuner and take the car in for the tune. It's likely they could install your CAI (if you must) without issue (That, or install one that actually works as desired). IMHO, this is the way to go.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Is this the used tuner that was originally purchased / set up for a different car?

And is that the Airraid CAI that might have been tuned as a Steeda?

Are you sure that you are starting from the factory tune for your car, not a different car?

Maybe I am thinking of a different story but it seems like there is a lot of room for confusion here.

Gotta make sure all that stuff is straight; if it gets mixed up you might have all kinds of strange problems.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page