Dyno Tune - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Dyno Tune

If dyno tune is with traction control ON, will it effect the rwhp?
If it does, is there an estimate of about how much rwhp was lost?

Is 70% a real number for rwhp vs. fly wheel hp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016
Apprentice

Around 15% is a rule of thumb for rear drive cars. 30% loss no.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thank you.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Its different between auto and manual on the % loss. It can be 13-15 for manual and 18-20 for auto's. Average.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
Its different between auto and manual on the % loss. It can be 13-15 for manual and 18-20 for auto's. Average.
Not anymore... Look up American muscle review of two brand new stock 11 GT's dynoed one after the other. The auto actually made 1 more hp than the manual bone stock. It was in Mustang's @ FF's magazine even back in 11. Today's auto's to do give up power like they used too.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016
Rookie

If you were spinning your tires on the dyno and traction control kicked in the yes, it would make a huge difference. However, it takes a lot of HP to spin tires on a dyno and your dyno graph should be able to clearly show where traction control kicked in. The first time I started spinning tires and the traction control kicked in I thought I broke something because it slowed me down so much.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016
Rookie

I should always add that the first time someone puts their car on the dyno they are usually highly dissapointed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
thank you!

Thank you all for your answers. The dyno I was on didn't show any results before it was in 4th gear. The 348 rwhp seemed low to me but it is what it is.... I love the acceleration on the street and you are right I was a bit disappointed.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

No. It's still about the same. Can't jockey off just their car and their dyno. All cars will put down diff numbers. Different dynos will do the same. Drive trains and parasitic lost has improved but not by a lot.
Also what gear was it dynoed in? Some do 3rd. Some do 4th and some will do 5th. It's hard to say which is right without a 1:1 ratio. So yeah, if you dyno in the right gear it'll will make more than that manual. Is that right? Hard to say but I'll guess no.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

What are your mods? Mustang dyno, dyno jet, loaded dyno jet? And like I mentioned, you could go to another dyno and make 350rwhp. They will all show different numbers. Track is where the truth of how much power you make.
PONY Member

We have found that Mustang Dyno will give numbers about 6 - 8 percent less than a Dyno Jet - We always run the numbers in 4th gear traction off and with the mods I have run to 7300 rpm - when the car was bone stock it was 360 to 365 on the three runs
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Was in 4th gear I believe. Mods are Airaid CAI, Boss 302 Air intake, 3.73 rear end, 91 octane, and Diablo Sport tune. Traction control was on. Result 348 rwhp.
Apprentice

MT82 Transmission cars should be Dynoed in 5th gear 1:1

MT82 6 Speed Manual Transmission Gear Ratios

MT82 (5.0L V8 Mustang)
  • Input Shaft - 26 Spline
  • 1st - 3.66
  • 2nd - 2.43
  • 3rd - 1.69
  • 4th - 1.32
  • 5th - 1.00
  • 6th - 0.65
MT82 Specs - MT82 Transmission

The HP figures wont show a lot of difference but you will get torque multiplication using a lower gear affecting the end results.

As I understand it you should not be able to use a dyno with traction control on, as soon as the rear wheels do more revolutions that the front the traction control will reduce power and apply brakes as required to remedy the situation.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotic1 View Post
Was in 4th gear I believe. Mods are Airaid CAI, Boss 302 Air intake, 3.73 rear end, 91 octane, and Diablo Sport tune. Traction control was on. Result 348 rwhp.
I am assuming you were on a Dynojet. And I am assuming you used a canned Diablosport tune which may not have accounted for the Boss 302 Intake. I believe the canned tunes are conservative and you could get another 20 hp with a custom tune.

Yes 5th gear is 1:1 and I have had mine on a dyno twice. First in 5th and the 2nd in 4th because they wanted to keep the miles per hour rate down I guess.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
ty, I will be getting a new Dyno in a couple of months...lol with traction control off. It will be interesting to see what a custom tune will do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page