Performance vs All Season vs Summer vs........... - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Performance vs All Season vs Summer vs...........

OMG !

The last time I had any kind of performance car, tire selection was very easy, you picked an H or a Z.

HOLY TIRE CHOICE, BATMAN !

Now the choices range from; All Season, Summer, Winter, Performance, High Performance, Ultra High Performance, Ultra High Performance All Season........

So I looked at a couple of threads on this Forum, then went over to Tire Rack to look at the reviews....... but need some clarification.

2013 GT, not tuned, not tracked, has factory upgraded 19" wheels and is used as a fun daily driver. No burnouts, no doughnuts, but I DO like to push her through the turns....

live in Florida, snow/ice not an issue, however wet roads and rain ARE a serious issue.

based on my current wear, will probably do 2 at a time. Where would YOU put the new ones?

My biggest issues are NOISE & WET TRACTION.

Decent wear would be nice - at least something better than the factory P Zero/Nero bicycle tires !

This Forum has been a great source of info, I respect y'alls opinions & thanks for sharing.

RWSRWS

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	642.2 KB
ID:	494033  

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016
PONY Member

The Continental ExtremeContact DW is generally considered the best summer tire in the rain, they have a decent tread wear rating and are reasonably priced.

Dave

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sport (if your budget is a tad bigger). Both are fantastic in wet, will probably be good for 30,000 miles, and offer good street performance
RWSRWS likes this.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Rain is a big issue for me as well, I've owned DW's and now I'm riding on Pilot SS and couldn't be happier. The DW is the best bang for the buck.
freewayflyer and RWSRWS like this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Rain is a big issue for me as well, I've owned DW's and now I'm riding on Pilot SS and couldn't be happier. The DW is the best bang for the buck.
==================================

Based on your experience riding on BOTH, which offers the least road noise?

THANKS!

RWSRWS

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
+1

The wife's Stang will soon need new tires, I'm going with the Pilot SS as well.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSRWS View Post
==================================

Based on your experience riding on BOTH, which offers the least road noise?

THANKS!

RWSRWS
The Pilots, also my car handles like it's on rails.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Michelin Pilot Super Sports if you have the cash.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had the Continental DW and they are very good tires. I put about 7 track sessions (2 days per session) on them. I can second the statement that they are very good in the rain.

I would also recommend the all season variant, the DWS06. With the all season tires, you'll give up a little bit in dry traction, but I doubt you'd notice on the street. However, you'll have exceptional performance in the rain and you can take a winter drive to the north, if so inclined.
Bill'sFive.0 likes this.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
Apprentice

Although you are in Florida, you should still consider 'All Season' tires if ever you think you may be out at temps below 50-55F. Right around this point summer tires will start to fall below All Season tires in traction - especially in the rain, and especially with a GT, especially if you are pushing it one colder morning after a rain...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sports if you have the cash.
========================================

appears that that specific Michelin the Pilot Super Sports ars no longer available

RWSRWS

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
appears that that specific Michelin the Pilot Super Sports ars no longer available
Which specific PSS tires are you talking about?

Last time I checked, they were available in just about every imaginable size. There are a few different "formulas" for BMW, Mercedes, etc. but that doesn't really matter for our cars; any of them will work fine as long as they have a high enough load rating, and most sizes are available in "XL" which is more than adequate.
freewayflyer likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
OMG !

////////////

2013 GT, not tuned, not tracked, has factory upgraded 19" wheels and is used as a fun daily driver. No burnouts, no doughnuts, but I DO like to push her through the turns....

live in Florida, snow/ice not an issue, however wet roads and rain ARE a serious issue.

based on my current wear, will probably do 2 at a time. Where would YOU put the new ones?

My biggest issues are NOISE & WET TRACTION.

Decent wear would be nice - at least something better than the factory P Zero/Nero bicycle tires !

This Forum has been a great source of info, I respect y'alls opinions & thanks for sharing.

RWSRWS
Personally I would buy 4 and go with Conti Extreme DW. I have a set of DW's for winter and have had no problems at all with wear, traction or noise. For summer I put the offset Bullitt's with Sumitomo's back on for show and annoying road noise.

IF you decide to buy two tires at a time, most tire outlets will tell you to place new tires on the rear.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime
2020 Jeep Willys Sting-Gray
2019 Charger Scat Pack traded 2020.
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
========================================

RWSRWS
Not sure what you mean? The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are one of their most successful tires ever. Tons of OEM's use them. Did you go to a local tire shop that told you that? If that is the case it is because they either can't get them or they want to sell you a different tire that they get some sort of bonus for selling.

If you are looking for a local place that sells them, Discount Tire is one of the biggest Michelin tire retailers in the country and there are Discount Tire's all over the place.

Here they are on Tire Rack
Michelin*Pilot Super Sport

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

Apprentice

Can't go wrong with choosing continental extreme contact or Michelin PSS, way better than Pirelli p zero

As for new tire pair always on the back!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page