Max tire size on 18x9 rims - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Firestorm
  • 2 Post By csamsh

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Max tire size on 18x9 rims

I am in the processing of building a set of wheels for autocross in CAM or FS this season. What is the maximum tire that will fit without rubbing the front fender wells. I know 265/35r18 will fit easy. If I bump up to 275/35/r18 will I have any issues? I want to to stay away from 18x10 on the back so I can rotate tires due to the abuse they will take.

I am eventually going to put in a Ford Racing suspension this summer or next year which will low the car about an inch all the way around.

Thanks

Biff

2011 Premium GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The best way to do this is to go by the tire manufacturer's specifications for wheel width.

Look up the tires you are considering on Tire Rack or some other source that has the specs; go to the "specs" tab, and look at the recommended wheel width. If 9" falls into range, you are OK. If not, try a different tire size until it comes out right.

For most responsive handling, you don't really want the widest possible tire on the narrowest possible wheel; better to stay toward the middle of the range.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I will have to go with 18x9 rims. From my understanding you can't go with 18x10s up front. You can squeeze probably 285s on a 9 inch rims but I am worried about 275 or 285s rubbing up front under hard cornering. Talked to the Americanmuscle guys and 9 inch rims fit fine. Just trying to stuff as much rubber on a budget as I can.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016
PONY Member

I wouldn't go wider than a 275 on a 9" rim, even then, it's not ideal. You wont get any better traction or handling. a 255 width is the correct width for a 9" wide rim depending on the specs. You can go 18x10 in the front if you wanted to, vorshlag have even run an 18x11 in the front but that was with caster/camber plates with a lot of negative camber to get everything to fit right. Pick the correct tire size for your rims based on the manufacturer's specs.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tirerack has Hankook RS3 version 2 tires on special right now. Not as good as RE-11 but they have 265/35r18 for $188 a tire which I can get on 18x9 easy. Bridgestone's are $265 and nearly $300 to just to 19s. Makes me work on my driving more than relying on equipment.

Biff

2011 Premium GT
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016
PONY Member

I run Enkei pf01 18x10.5 wheels on all 4 corners with 285 35 r18 tires. If you want to take CAM class seriously, you should do the same.

They even leave enough room that you can use camber bolts.

The re-71r tire dominated last season. So either buy that or find someone who already knows what the hot tire will be next year. It wont be the rs-3 v2 or the re-11. I promise that.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016
PONY Member

Garage
275 is about the limit for 9" wide wheels with the short sidewall.
freewayflyer likes this.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifftws View Post
. . . 265/35r18 for $188 a tire which I can get on 18x9 easy. . . .
9" wheel is on the extreme narrow end of the range for that tire; yeah it will go on but it is not really what you want.

Hankook*Ventus R-S3 (Version 2)

If you are buying wheels -- it it was my money I would buy the widest wheel that I can for the rules and clearance; and it sounds like 740weapon already has that all figured out for you.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

You can run up to an 11 on the front with a little work.

10's up front are EASY, AND you can rotate them front to back.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=521

Whoever told you 9 is the max up front respectfully knows jack sh!t.

Picture time!!!

18x11's with 315 Hoosiers-

18x10's with 285 RS3's-
freewayflyer and Bill'sFive.0 like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I don't want to have to do anything to the car to make the front wheels/tires fit. I use the car mostly as a daily driver with the original stock wheels and tires. Not going to do anything crazy with the camber set up. Rather give up a little time in an autocross race than wear out tires driving back and for to work. I guess my question is can I put 18x10 on the front with a 265 or 275 tires without cast/camber plates to make it work? Budget is a huge issue this year with a new house. American Muscle has some pretty decent deals on 18x10 wheels on closeout but they say they are for rear only.

Biff

2011 Premium GT
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

AM's site is really conservative when it comes to wheel fitment. I suggest calling them directly to find out which of their 18x10s fit on the front. In your case, with the stock brakes, the offset will determine if they tuck under the fender. With Brembos, you have to make sure the spokes clear the calipers. Search in the Road Racing sub-forum. I know somebody posted the proper offsets for 18x10 on the front.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
Apprentice

I love the Internet opinions...

I run a 275 40 19 on my stock 8.5 inch rims in rear. They fit fine.

275 will work on 9 inch rim. Next.
GT Member
S197 Member

It doesn't fit fine. Please read what OP needs- he needs a fitment for autocross. Bulged sidewall is not what he needs.

10's should fit w/o camber plates, but I would HIGHLY recommend camber plates as your first suspension mod.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifftws View Post
I don't want to have to do anything to the car to make the front wheels/tires fit. I use the car mostly as a daily driver with the original stock wheels and tires. Not going to do anything crazy with the camber set up. Rather give up a little time in an autocross race than wear out tires driving back and for to work. I guess my question is can I put 18x10 on the front with a 265 or 275 tires without cast/camber plates to make it work? Budget is a huge issue this year with a new house. American Muscle has some pretty decent deals on 18x10 wheels on closeout but they say they are for rear only.
With the right offset, 265/xx on 18x10 should be a no-brainer.

Here's what 265/40-18 (Michelin PSS) on 18 x 9.5 x ET+45 GT500 wheels looks like. There's not quite a finger's worth of space on the strut side, call it about 0.3" or 8mm (which is really a huge amount of room). On 18 x 10 x ET+42 you'd have essentially the same amount of strut clearance and the outer sidewall would move outward by less than 1/4".

FWIW, I'd really rather put 265/xx on 10's but I'd already bought the 9.5's for 255/45's and they'll only see track time if push comes to shove (either run these for the remaining sessions or don't run at all).

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page