Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011 - 2014 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Hose clamp tool? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/932697-hose-clamp-tool.html)

replacement 01-31-2016 11:58 AM

Hose clamp tool?

Simple question, I have always wondered if a special pliers is used or available for removing the factory radiator clamps. Also, I wonder what is the best clamp to use, I read someplace that the worm drive clamps put uneven pressure on the parts and for years I thought they were best. Always trying to learn!

Blazin72 01-31-2016 01:27 PM

32 Attachment(s)
I just use channel lock pliers.

Urambo Tauro 01-31-2016 02:07 PM

Those work fine, but there are hose clamp pliers out there that are better at not slipping. The cable type ones are especially nice for hard-to reach clamps, but I've heard that even the expensive ones wear out after a while.

As for the clamps themselves, it depends on the application. OEM spring-type clamps are indeed good for distributing even pressure. But they can become weak, especially if flexed open too far during removal. A worm-gear clamp will hold better. You also might want to look into T-bolt clamps, which are sometimes equipped with springs. T-bolts are great if you have room for them.

Blazin72 01-31-2016 07:43 PM

32 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro (Post 8159233)
Those work fine, but there are hose clamp pliers out there that are better at not slipping.

Good point. It's always fun when one slips out and shoots halfway across the garage.

MustangLife 01-31-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replacement (Post 8159081)
Simple question, I have always wondered if a special pliers is used or available for removing the factory radiator clamps. Also, I wonder what is the best clamp to use, I read someplace that the worm drive clamps put uneven pressure on the parts and for years I thought they were best. Always trying to learn!

I hate these type of clamps. haha Great question on special tool though. As stated there is a special tool, but from what I hear from my mechanic friends these clamps are still a pain even with the tool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazin72 (Post 8159817)
Good point. It's always fun when one slips out and shoots halfway across the garage.

+1 haha