Hose clamp tool? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blazin72

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Hose clamp tool?

Simple question, I have always wondered if a special pliers is used or available for removing the factory radiator clamps. Also, I wonder what is the best clamp to use, I read someplace that the worm drive clamps put uneven pressure on the parts and for years I thought they were best. Always trying to learn!

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
I just use channel lock pliers.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
GT Member

Those work fine, but there are hose clamp pliers out there that are better at not slipping. The cable type ones are especially nice for hard-to reach clamps, but I've heard that even the expensive ones wear out after a while.

As for the clamps themselves, it depends on the application. OEM spring-type clamps are indeed good for distributing even pressure. But they can become weak, especially if flexed open too far during removal. A worm-gear clamp will hold better. You also might want to look into T-bolt clamps, which are sometimes equipped with springs. T-bolts are great if you have room for them.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Those work fine, but there are hose clamp pliers out there that are better at not slipping.
Good point. It's always fun when one slips out and shoots halfway across the garage.
MustangLife and ew1usnr like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by replacement View Post
Simple question, I have always wondered if a special pliers is used or available for removing the factory radiator clamps. Also, I wonder what is the best clamp to use, I read someplace that the worm drive clamps put uneven pressure on the parts and for years I thought they were best. Always trying to learn!
I hate these type of clamps. haha Great question on special tool though. As stated there is a special tool, but from what I hear from my mechanic friends these clamps are still a pain even with the tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Good point. It's always fun when one slips out and shoots halfway across the garage.
+1 haha

Current Mustang
2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page