Oil separators Your thoughts? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Garage
I have one on my car and on my 5.0 F150. I normally dump a couple of ounces out each oil change. Is it alot? No, but I would rather keep it out of the combustion chamber. Also, you will only need it on the passengers side. I had one on both sides and the drivers side stayed bone dry, even after installing a blower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
I'm running the FRPP TrackKey with the "Track Idle". Ford actually recommends an oil separator with the TrackKey and lopey idle, along with 91 or higher octane to combat any pre-det. If I were to install a supercharger, I'd also want one installed on my car.

For every other user, I'd consider installing a quality oil separator just peace of mind! Can't hurt, right?!

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanielnewman View Post
I had one on both sides and the drivers side stayed bone dry, even after installing a blower.
That's because the drivers side is the filtered air inlet. Air enters the crankcase on that side.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Apprentice

When I pulled off my stock intake manifold at 5k miles (cobra jet) the cylinder head intake ports in all 8 cylinders had a nice coating of black sludgy oil covering them. At 3k miles I deleted my PVC with breathers. So that build up was only from that amount of miles. I obliviously wiped clean the ports before new intake install.

Why do you run catch can or breathers? Over time (12 mos 3k miles for me) the oil build up in the intake and intake ports will effectively lower the effective octane in the fuel you use causing detonation and pinging. This is proven cause and effect in any highly carbonated motor. Excessive detonation breaks piston rings and you know the rest. Additionally the breathers help ventilate crank case pressures and highly acidic vapors (fuel/oil) out of the motor.

The PVC system was designed for EPA regs and not exactly beneficial to your motor. To each his own...
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
When I pulled off my stock intake manifold at 5k miles (cobra jet) the cylinder head intake ports in all 8 cylinders had a nice coating of black sludgy oil covering them. At 3k miles I deleted my PVC with breathers. So that build up was only from that amount of miles. I obliviously wiped clean the ports before new intake install.

Why do you run catch can or breathers? Over time (12 mos 3k miles for me) the oil build up in the intake and intake ports will effectively lower the effective octane in the fuel you use causing detonation and pinging. This is proven cause and effect in any highly carbonated motor. Excessive detonation breaks piston rings and you know the rest. Additionally the breathers help ventilate crank case pressures and highly acidic vapors (fuel/oil) out of the motor.

The PVC system was designed for EPA regs and not exactly beneficial to your motor. To each his own...
How much does a nice coating (of sludgy oil) equate to? At this relatively low mileage that's a little concerning.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
I'm running the FRPP TrackKey with the "Track Idle". Ford actually recommends an oil separator with the TrackKey and lopey idle, along with 91 or higher octane to combat any pre-det. If I were to install a supercharger, I'd also want one installed on my car.

For every other user, I'd consider installing a quality oil separator just peace of mind! Can't hurt, right?!
Very much agree for an FI car or racing applications. Can't hurt...

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Quote:
I had one on both sides and the drivers side stayed bone dry, even after installing a blower.
That's because the drivers side is the filtered air inlet. Air enters the crankcase on that side.
You understand that the system operates as a vacuum right? It does not pull air in from the intake, the intake pulls air through the pressure control valve. Thus relieving excess crankcase pressure. My point in my original statement was that the drivers side never collected anything, NA or FI.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
You understand that the system operates as a vacuum right? It does not pull air in from the intake, the intake pulls air through the pressure control valve. Thus relieving excess crankcase pressure. My point in my original statement was that the drivers side never collected anything, NA or FI.
Yep I do understand and I stand by what I said. Drivers side is the filtered air inlet and that is why your drivers side can never collected anything.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Last edited by Blazin72; 02-01-2016 at 11:00 PM.
PONY Member

My thinking is that if it's PROPERLY designed, an oil separator can be of benefit especially if you have an aftermarket tune or if you're using less than premium fuel since besides helping to keep the backsides of the intake valves clean it may help to prevent detonation. In my view a properly designed separator will remove the maximum amount of oil from the air stream while still allowing full unrestricted evacuation of the crankcase pressure. I haven't personally examined every brand of separator on the market, but I have reservations about some designs I've seen. One in particular concerns me. It used a felt like material in addition to a steel mesh and screens. I don't doubt that the felt would be effective in trapping oil, but once it becomes saturated I think it is highly likely that it would seriously restrict the proper evacuation of the crankcase. If that happens the best you can hope for is that the crankcase pressure will force oil up and out the dipstick tube and make an oily mess on the driver's side of the engine bay. At worst the pressure will find a way out either from valve covers, timing cover or front and or rear main seals. I use a Bob's separator and IMO it is very well made and designed. The drain valve make for easy service too.
PONY Member

I've run one on my car since it had about 200 miles on it and it now has 18,600 miles on it. I've tried out various different ones and right now I have a Bob's separator on it. I've run the Bob's the majority of the time and it's probably my favorite of all of the ones I've tried.

I think they are beneficial even on the NA cars. My fiancee has an 07 Mustang GT that started smoking on startup at about 14,000 miles. People on the forums suggested installing an oil separator on it to stop that and that is what we did. It now doesn't smoke on startup.

I know when I originally pulled off the PVC line off the car, it was soaking wet with oil at the intake so you could tell it was pulling a lot of oil through the PVC system. Even on my 14 GT when I first pulled the line off, it had liquid oil at the fitting on the intake. I still would get this situation when I was using some other catch cans that were less effective.

Obviously it won't kill your engine but I like keeping that stuff out of my intake and throttle body and is why I run one.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page