Oil separators Your thoughts? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
 
cdanielnewman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Midland City
Posts: 29
 
Garage
I have one on my car and on my 5.0 F150. I normally dump a couple of ounces out each oil change. Is it alot? No, but I would rather keep it out of the combustion chamber. Also, you will only need it on the passengers side. I had one on both sides and the drivers side stayed bone dry, even after installing a blower.

cdanielnewman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
PONY Member
 
GLOCKer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: ATL Area
Posts: 493
 
Garage
I'm running the FRPP TrackKey with the "Track Idle". Ford actually recommends an oil separator with the TrackKey and lopey idle, along with 91 or higher octane to combat any pre-det. If I were to install a supercharger, I'd also want one installed on my car.


For every other user, I'd consider installing a quality oil separator just peace of mind! Can't hurt, right?!



2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
GLOCKer is offline  
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanielnewman View Post
I had one on both sides and the drivers side stayed bone dry, even after installing a blower.
That's because the drivers side is the filtered air inlet. Air enters the crankcase on that side.
crjackson2134 likes this.
Blazin72 is offline  
 
Apprentice
 
zinc03svt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Springfield
Posts: 232
 
When I pulled off my stock intake manifold at 5k miles (cobra jet) the cylinder head intake ports in all 8 cylinders had a nice coating of black sludgy oil covering them. At 3k miles I deleted my PVC with breathers. So that build up was only from that amount of miles. I obliviously wiped clean the ports before new intake install.

Why do you run catch can or breathers? Over time (12 mos 3k miles for me) the oil build up in the intake and intake ports will effectively lower the effective octane in the fuel you use causing detonation and pinging. This is proven cause and effect in any highly carbonated motor. Excessive detonation breaks piston rings and you know the rest. Additionally the breathers help ventilate crank case pressures and highly acidic vapors (fuel/oil) out of the motor.

The PVC system was designed for EPA regs and not exactly beneficial to your motor. To each his own...
zinc03svt is offline  
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
crjackson2134's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,224
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
When I pulled off my stock intake manifold at 5k miles (cobra jet) the cylinder head intake ports in all 8 cylinders had a nice coating of black sludgy oil covering them. At 3k miles I deleted my PVC with breathers. So that build up was only from that amount of miles. I obliviously wiped clean the ports before new intake install.

Why do you run catch can or breathers? Over time (12 mos 3k miles for me) the oil build up in the intake and intake ports will effectively lower the effective octane in the fuel you use causing detonation and pinging. This is proven cause and effect in any highly carbonated motor. Excessive detonation breaks piston rings and you know the rest. Additionally the breathers help ventilate crank case pressures and highly acidic vapors (fuel/oil) out of the motor.

The PVC system was designed for EPA regs and not exactly beneficial to your motor. To each his own...
How much does a nice coating (of sludgy oil) equate to? At this relatively low mileage that's a little concerning.


2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
crjackson2134 is offline  
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
crjackson2134's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,224
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
I'm running the FRPP TrackKey with the "Track Idle". Ford actually recommends an oil separator with the TrackKey and lopey idle, along with 91 or higher octane to combat any pre-det. If I were to install a supercharger, I'd also want one installed on my car.


For every other user, I'd consider installing a quality oil separator just peace of mind! Can't hurt, right?!
Very much agree for an FI car or racing applications. Can't hurt...


2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
crjackson2134 is offline  
Rookie
 
cdanielnewman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Midland City
Posts: 29
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanielnewman View Post
I had one on both sides and the drivers side stayed bone dry, even after installing a blower.
That's because the drivers side is the filtered air inlet. Air enters the crankcase on that side.
You understand that the system operates as a vacuum right? It does not pull air in from the intake, the intake pulls air through the pressure control valve. Thus relieving excess crankcase pressure. My point in my original statement was that the drivers side never collected anything, NA or FI.
cdanielnewman is offline  
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanielnewman View Post
You understand that the system operates as a vacuum right? It does not pull air in from the intake, the intake pulls air through the pressure control valve. Thus relieving excess crankcase pressure. My point in my original statement was that the drivers side never collected anything, NA or FI.
Yep I do understand and I stand by what I said. Drivers side is the filtered air inlet and that is why your drivers side can never collected anything.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Last edited by Blazin72; 02-01-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Blazin72 is offline  
PONY Member
 
XRacer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Percy
Posts: 326
 
My thinking is that if it's PROPERLY designed, an oil separator can be of benefit especially if you have an aftermarket tune or if you're using less than premium fuel since besides helping to keep the backsides of the intake valves clean it may help to prevent detonation. In my view a properly designed separator will remove the maximum amount of oil from the air stream while still allowing full unrestricted evacuation of the crankcase pressure. I haven't personally examined every brand of separator on the market, but I have reservations about some designs I've seen. One in particular concerns me. It used a felt like material in addition to a steel mesh and screens. I don't doubt that the felt would be effective in trapping oil, but once it becomes saturated I think it is highly likely that it would seriously restrict the proper evacuation of the crankcase. If that happens the best you can hope for is that the crankcase pressure will force oil up and out the dipstick tube and make an oily mess on the driver's side of the engine bay. At worst the pressure will find a way out either from valve covers, timing cover or front and or rear main seals. I use a Bob's separator and IMO it is very well made and designed. The drain valve make for easy service too.
XRacer is offline  
PONY Member
 
70monte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora
Posts: 349
 
I've run one on my car since it had about 200 miles on it and it now has 18,600 miles on it. I've tried out various different ones and right now I have a Bob's separator on it. I've run the Bob's the majority of the time and it's probably my favorite of all of the ones I've tried.

I think they are beneficial even on the NA cars. My fiancee has an 07 Mustang GT that started smoking on startup at about 14,000 miles. People on the forums suggested installing an oil separator on it to stop that and that is what we did. It now doesn't smoke on startup.

I know when I originally pulled off the PVC line off the car, it was soaking wet with oil at the intake so you could tell it was pulling a lot of oil through the PVC system. Even on my 14 GT when I first pulled the line off, it had liquid oil at the fitting on the intake. I still would get this situation when I was using some other catch cans that were less effective.

Obviously it won't kill your engine but I like keeping that stuff out of my intake and throttle body and is why I run one.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
70monte is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1