Oil separators Your thoughts? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Oil separators Your thoughts?

Hi everyone

Just want to get input on oil separators. Do I really need one, are they worth the money? Will your engine be hurt if you don't have them?

Luke

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	494785  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
You don't need one, but all the guys that have one will tell you that you do need one.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Do you need one? Only if you don't want to be dumping oil into your intake.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Lots of threads and discussion on this. Search for it and you'll get more back and forth than you probably care to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
Just want to get input on oil separators. Do I really need one, are they worth the money?
That depends on who you ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
Will your engine be hurt if you don't have them?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
You don't need one, but all the guys that have one will tell you that you do need one.
+1
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Dumping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
Do you need one? Only if you don't want to be dumping oil into your intake.
How much oil are you talking about? How often are you having to empty your separator? You should only be seeing a tiny amount of oil vapor coming off the PCV valve.

That tiny amount of oil vapor normally gets mixed, suspended and diluted with a much larger volume of gasoline and air mixture that is washing through the intake manifold on its way to the combustion chambers.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" – John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post

That tiny amount of oil vapor normally gets mixed, suspended and diluted with a much larger volume of the gasoline and air mixture that is washing through the intake manifold on its way to the combustion chambers.
No fuel in the intake manifold anymore, just air.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Direct injection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
No fuel in the intake manifold anymore, just air.
I stand corrected.

You are correct in the case of direct injection which I think comes with the EcoBoost. The oil separator is worth consideration with a direct injection system where gasoline is not coming through the intake manifold.

I was thinking in terms of sequential multi-port injection.

Oil separators  Your thoughts?-fuelinjection.gif

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" – John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
I'm not sure what point you're getting at here?

In port fuel injection the fuel is injected at the base of the intake manifold runners and directly into the port in the cylinder head. Fuel does not travel through the intake manifold.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016
PONY Member

Garage
My theory

Quote:
I'm not sure what point you're getting at here?

In port fuel injection the fuel is injected at the base of the intake manifold runners and directly into the port in the cylinder head. Fuel does not travel through the intake manifold.
Yes, but gasoline is washing over the valves on the way to the combustion chamber. This prevents a buildup of carbon and oil on the backs and seats of the valves.

In direct injection there is no washing effect of gasoline over the backs of the valves and carbon buildup can result. In the case of direct injection the oil separator may serve to help keep the backs of the valves cleaner.

Quote:
“One of the biggest problems with direct injection is that the fuel is no longer being sprayed onto the backside of the intake valves,” Laskowski said.

This mist of gasoline actually helps keep the intake ports clean."

See: Is Carbon Buildup a Problem With Direct-Injection Engines? » AutoGuide.com News

PONY Member

On my V6 I had about a tablespoon after 1 year. I don't think not having it would have made a difference to my engine.

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
1969 Coupe Restomod-never complete!
2008 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone
Mustangs from the past: 66 coupe, 69 Coupe, 69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt, 2011 V6
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I dump out a couple of ounces at each oil change in my 5.0 so we are not talking about a lot of oil but why spray that into the intake.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1usnr
Yes, but gasoline is washing over the valves on the way to the combustion chamber. This prevents a buildup of carbon and oil on the backs and seats of the valves.

I see the point you're making now. Sorry for the confusion.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
This is just my opinion...

I think that in a properly functioning, normally aspirated, daily driver, it's not NEEDED at all, but if you want one, it hurts nothing.

Just my 0.02’

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
PONY Member

Garage
Mechanical Theory

Quote:
I see the point you're making now. Sorry for the confusion.
Hey, I enjoyed it. This conversation is cool as heck. When engines had carburetors, gasoline vapor washed the entire length of the intake manifold. With multi-port injection that length was reduced, With direct-injection the distance was eliminated entirely.

Carburetors were works of genius. Fuel injection into the manifold was even better. Direct injection puts the fuel right where it needs to be, right on time, and in the exact amount required. Wow!

GT Member

I got one because I don't want oil where it shouldn't be. after putting it on I realized I'm catching way more than I thought I would be. My car has 16k and Ive had a catch can for probably 10k of that. I caught at least 8 oz of oil so far. The boss 302s has one. The fr500s have one. The cobra jet has one. It obviously does something that's good for the motor.

Ford recommends one if you get the procal tune or the trackey tune.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page