2014 Mustang GT Steering, Suspension, Tire Issue?? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

2014 Mustang GT Steering, Suspension, Tire Issue??

So I have a had my 2014 Mustang GT for about a year and a half now. I bought it from a dealer essentially new in August 2014 with 1300 miles on it. It was great and I haven't had any other issues other than the one I am about to describe. It has been daily driven except for last winter for about 3 months. It has almost 22,000 miles on it now. About, 5-6 months ago I noticed on uneven roads or slighty bumpy roads it would pull hard left or right, it would take everything I had to hold it straight. So this to me seems like a steering or tire issue but I'm not sure. About 3 weeks ago I was crusing down the highway about 70 mph with no issues on a 2 hour trip, when it began to rain. I slowed down to 55-60 mph due to the rain; the car began pulling left, then right, then left, then right very badly, so badly I was about to pull over then call a tow truck. It didn't feel like it was hydroplaning. The car doesn't feel loose; it still handles fine, plenty of grip at least when its dry. I'm at a loss, the tires are pretty worn; I spin them quite a bit just from 1st or 2nd gear accelerations and I rotate them every oil change. The tires are the original Pirelli P-Zeros 245s all the way around on the 19" appearance package wheels. I've just been dealing with it as I don't really just dealers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97f1504403 View Post
So I have a had my 2014 Mustang GT for about a year and a half now. I bought it from a dealer essentially new in August 2014 with 1300 miles on it. It was great and I haven't had any other issues other than the one I am about to describe. It has been daily driven except for last winter for about 3 months. It has almost 22,000 miles on it now. About, 5-6 months ago I noticed on uneven roads or slighty bumpy roads it would pull hard left or right, it would take everything I had to hold it straight. So this to me seems like a steering or tire issue but I'm not sure. About 3 weeks ago I was crusing down the highway about 70 mph with no issues on a 2 hour trip, when it began to rain. I slowed down to 55-60 mph due to the rain; the car began pulling left, then right, then left, then right very badly, so badly I was about to pull over then call a tow truck. It didn't feel like it was hydroplaning. The car doesn't feel loose; it still handles fine, plenty of grip at least when its dry. I'm at a loss, the tires are pretty worn; I spin them quite a bit just from 1st or 2nd gear accelerations and I rotate them every oil change. The tires are the original Pirelli P-Zeros 245s all the way around on the 19" appearance package wheels. I've just been dealing with it as I don't really just dealers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I know you said it didn't hydroplane, and I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but it really does sound like hydroplane.

Did it start performing as expected when driving on dry roads again?

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Your tires are probably the cause of the car roaming on the highway.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

It does the same thing on dry roads. Some days seem worse than others but the one constant is that it jerks left or right the most on worn or uneven roads, especially when changing lanes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016
Apprentice

Same issue on the 2011 with the 19" wheels. Take it for an alignment but if yours is like mine an alignment is only going to last a short time. (few months)

Basically the car is tracking any minor imperfection in the pavement. On highways it will track the crown, be in the left lane it pulls left and in the right lane it will pull right. Wet weather exasperates this. I tried Ford and the service manager did not even put the car on the rack before he quoted me an alignment.

I brought my car to a third party wheel and tire shop where they put new tires on and during each rotation checked the tires and alignment. They found my tires when on the front were wearing on the inside corners and cupping, both (according to them) signs of a bad suspension. The alignment was also falling off quickly, they even asked if I was bouncing the car off curbs. They basically recommended a stiffer sport suspension to tighten everything up. They referred to the stock suspension on the Mustang as lightweight garbage.

Suspension they recommend, wheels and tires are going to cost almost $5K. I am just waiting to burn through my current set of tires first since they are already ruined by cupping. Driving around I change lanes to find to path of least resistance and have figured out the really bad areas that I avoid. I also tend to drive more two hands on the wheel as opposed to one handed. Two hands makes the occasional pull, manageable.

Pisses me off that most of the money I have sunk into this car has not been purely performance mods, but to fix Ford's crappy job building a car.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Your tires are probably the cause of the car roaming on the highway.
Its not that it roams though, it jerks left or right abruptly.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
Same issue on the 2011 with the 19" wheels. Take it for an alignment but if yours is like mine an alignment is only going to last a short time. (few months)

Basically the car is tracking any minor imperfection in the pavement. On highways it will track the crown, be in the left lane it pulls left and in the right lane it will pull right. Wet weather exasperates this. I tried Ford and the service manager did not even put the car on the rack before he quoted me an alignment.

I brought my car to a third party wheel and tire shop where they put new tires on and during each rotation checked the tires and alignment. They found my tires when on the front were wearing on the inside corners and cupping, both (according to them) signs of a bad suspension. The alignment was also falling off quickly, they even asked if I was bouncing the car off curbs. They basically recommended a stiffer sport suspension to tighten everything up. They referred to the stock suspension on the Mustang as lightweight garbage.

Suspension they recommend, wheels and tires are going to cost almost $5K. I am just waiting to burn through my current set of tires first since they are already ruined by cupping. Driving around I change lanes to find to path of least resistance and have figured out the really bad areas that I avoid. I also tend to drive more two hands on the wheel as opposed to one handed. Two hands makes the occasional pull, manageable.

Pisses me off that most of the money I have sunk into this car has not been purely performance mods, but to fix Ford's crappy job building a car.
This definitely sounds like the same issue I'm having; have you been able to resolve the issue?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
From what you described a decent shop should be able to identify the faulty part/structure. If this is something that happened abruptly after never having problems, I would think something broke, slipped or moved enough to make detection not to difficult. If it were me, I'd try to find a shop that actually knows how to investigate and repair. Throwing one alignment after another isn't helping anything. If it won't hold an alignment a quality shop should be able to identify the problem.

A shop that simply says Mustang suspension is crappy and needs to be completely replaced just wants to sell you parts/labor. I'm sure it drove fine when it was new. Something is broken or worn out and it sounds dangerous. Find a shop that can identify/fix the problem.

Anyway, right or wrong, that's my 2, good luck and please post back and let us know how it turns out.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
From what you described a decent shop should be able to identify the faulty part/structure. If this is something that happened abruptly after never having problems, I would think something broke, slipped or moved enough to make detection not to difficult. If it were me, I'd try to find a shop that actually knows how to investigate and repair. Throwing one alignment after another isn't helping anything. If it won't hold an alignment a quality shop should be able to identify the problem.

A shop that simply says Mustang suspension is crappy and needs to be completely replaced just wants to sell you parts/labor. I'm sure it drove fine when it was new. Something is broken or worn out and it sounds dangerous. Find a shop that can identify/fix the problem.

Anyway, right or wrong, that's my 2, good luck and please post back and let us know how it turns out.
I completely agree, I've yet to find shop I trust, especially dealers. I will keep looking to see if I can find a reputable shop around me. I see you have two 2014 GTs in the family. You've never experienced anything like this with either of them?
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Not so far...

It can be hard to find a good shop. Since my cars are both under the 3/36 warranty I am using the dealer exclusively.

Apprentice

Badly worn and cupped tires are not helping your situation. Try some new tires and an alignment.
Apprentice

Quote:
This definitely sounds like the same issue I'm having; have you been able to resolve the issue?
Not fixed yet as I still have some miles left on the tires. Tax time so I am trying to make these tires last, got to give bucket loads of money to the government so they can give it to the "less fortunate."

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I completely agree, I've yet to find shop I trust, especially dealers. I will keep looking to see if I can find a reputable shop around me. I see you have two 2014 GTs in the family. You've never experienced anything like this with either of them?
See if you can find a local (reputable) performance shop that specializes in Mustangs. If they don't do those types of repairs (many don't), they usually know the best places to get the repairs done.

Don't just call them. Go there and talk Mustangs with the gear heads. They'll likely point you in the right direction.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the help! At a shop getting an alignment done as we speak then going from there.
PONY Member

What sort of vehicles have you owned before this Mustang?

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in