No Heat - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

No Heat

I have no heat when idling, sitting at a light and such situations. The heat works fine when driving, and then fades at idle to cold air.

What would cause this?

Any guesses are appreciated. The car is at the dealership now, so fingers crossed they can figure it out.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016
GT Member

check the coolant level, I'm certain you'll find it low........

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk

Pete Grimaldi likes this.

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I took the car to the dealership yesterday.

They had it all day, and called me at about 4PM to tell me there is a coolant leak, and that the upper rad hose and "3 outlet connector" are leaking. The SA also told me that the repairs are not covered under my Ford Uber Titanium ESP, and that the cost for the repairs, including diagnostics, would be $750.00

Well, that dog just don't hunt. I bought the highest level of ESP precisely for this sort of thing, and they're telling me it's not covered. Everything under my hood looks brand-new, I've owned the car from new, these parts have failed at 43k miles, and I'm being told it's not covered.

These are not "wear" parts, they're not shocks or pads or rotors.

Anyways, I immediately put a call into Ford Customer Service, and I'm supposed to get a call back from the Regional manager Monday. Shortly after that call, the SA from the dealership called to say they weren't going to charge me the $200.00 for diagnosing the issue. He said he "felt bad for me", which probably translates into he knows he made a mistake trying to charge waaaaaaaaaay too much for the repairs, and now he might get found out.

So, if Ford doesn't fix this, this is my last Ford. No way this shouldn't be covered.

I picked the car up from the dealership this morning, and I could see there has been a leak. I bought 2 gallons of the Ford orange coolant and topped off the over-flow (no radiator caps on these cars? Or are they hidden under the cowling?) with a few cups of it, keeping the rest in the car just in case. Now the car gives me perfect heat.

We'll see what happens Monday.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016
GT Member

I hope it all works out for you. FYI if you bought a Ford ESP that is a Ford extended service plan. Not a Ford extended warranty. I don't believe a Ford ESP would cover the parts that you are talking about. Please update us when you find out more.

I think those parts that are leaking could be rather easy for you to take care of yourself.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
I hope it all works out for you. FYI if you bought a Ford ESP that is a Ford extended service plan. Not a Ford extended warranty. I don't believe a Ford ESP would cover the parts that you are talking about. Please update us when you find out more.

I think those parts that are leaking could be rather easy for you to take care of yourself.

Ford's ESP is their extended warranty. I don't know why they call it an Extended Service Plan, but that's what it is. And I bought the Premium plan, which was supposed to basically be an extended version of the new car warranty.

Yeah, it looks like it should be easy to fix, but I'm waiting for the dealership SA to call me with the part #s that need replacement. Hopefully I'll get that Monday, but I'm also expecting Ford CS to get it covered. I'll be really ticked if they don't cover this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
no radiator caps on these cars? Or are they hidden under the cowling?
No radiator cap. Coolant fill and vent point is the reservoir.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So, this morning, the coolant hadn't leaked. I had topped it off yesterday at about 1:30PM, I drove about 15 miles to a friend's house, left my car sitting at their house while my friend drove us to the movies. After the movie I drove home and parked it over-night. There was no need to add any coolant yesterday before driving home, nor this morning when I checked before driving to work. The heat is working perfectly.

Possessed.

This car is possessed.

Waiting for Ford CS Regional Manager to call me.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The Ford CS Regional Manager just called, and said they won't cover the leak.

So, this Wednesday, if the weather cooperates, I'll take things apart and see if I can figure out what is actually leaking. Hopefully I'll be able to put it back together and it won't leak any worse while I wait for the parts to arrive.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016
MACH I Member

Unfortunately this highlights the reason why extended warranties are a complete waste of money 99% of the time. I made the same mistake myself with my first Mustang. Luckily, when I found out just how useless the warranty is, I was able to cancel it and still recover a portion of my money (at a pro-rated rate). That may be something you can look into, and determine whether you can get a refund for the remaining portion of your ESP. If you still have a loan it will be deposited directly as a principle payment. If your loan is paid off you can use the money to fix the leak yourself.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Unfortunately this highlights the reason why extended warranties are a complete waste of money 99% of the time. I made the same mistake myself with my first Mustang. Luckily, when I found out just how useless the warranty is, I was able to cancel it and still recover a portion of my money (at a pro-rated rate). That may be something you can look into, and determine whether you can get a refund for the remaining portion of your ESP. If you still have a loan it will be deposited directly as a principle payment. If your loan is paid off you can use the money to fix the leak yourself.
Frustratingly, the ESP I bought for my 2005 Mustang saved my butt quite a few times. And the ESP on my current 2012 GT also covered a few things already. But this not being covered is really, really bad. I'll keep the ESP, but I'm done with Ford. This is my last Ford product, they just don't stand behind what they sell. And I've never been able to find a Ford dealership that is worth working with. They all attempt to rip people off at every turn.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

No coolant top-off needed this morning. Now I think I should change the coolant and plugs. Is there a faster/better way of draining the coolant out of the system than just popping the bottom rad hose? And are there better plugs than OEM?

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Is there a faster/better way of draining the coolant out of the system than just popping the bottom rad hose?
Drain plug on the bottom of the radiator but you'll only get coolant from the radiator. Nothing from the block.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for the info, you've mentioned my concern; getting all the old coolant out. Is there some way short of paying the damn dealership to get most of the coolant out of the engine? I haven't had to change coolant in many cars, as I haven't been keeping them that long.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Ford recommends a coolant change at 6 years,my 2011 will be 6 years old this May,I am going to take my Mustang into Ford,they have a machine they hook the car up to to flush and refill the system without removing the lower hose and making a mess,cost is $150.00,it is worth it to me,NO mess and complete new coolant.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Ford recommends a coolant change at 6 years,my 2011 will be 6 years old this May,I am going to take my Mustang into Ford,they have a machine they hook the car up to to flush and refill the system without removing the lower hose and making a mess,cost is $150.00,it is worth it to me,NO mess and complete new coolant.

They want $200 around here, and that's just too much money. I figure getting 80% of the coolant out is fine. I'm just not spending that much money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page