LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Headers - ARH vs. KOOKS

So I'm planing my build for down the road, not ready just yet. I plan to use a local speed shop for the wrenching (I can't do it anymore). The owner/Dyno-Tuner there is a KOOKS dealer so he pushes the KOOKS and sells them cheaper than any place else I've found.

I like the looks of these ARH headers and I've read a few posts indicating they're easier to tune for with regards to O2 sensors on the Catted-H setup.

Opinions?

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016
GT Member

I have the Kooks and I am happy with them. Have you checked out the Maryland Speed pricing? When I was shopping around they had the best prices.

I don't know much about ARH. I believe they are a good brand. I would recommend researching to see if they have the same type of SS that Kooks uses and if the thickness/gauge is equivalent or better than Kooks. I know I have a file somewhere where I did some extensive research and ended up going with Kooks even though they are not a true long tube header and considered midlength headers.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
They are the same grade SS, but I don't what gauge thickness. Yeah, I've looked at Maryland Speed. I can get them about $200 cheaper, but I'm not really so concerned about a couple hundred bucks. I just don't want to have CEL/O2 issues. I'm pretty sure ARH build quality matches the KOOKS, but of course I don't KNOW that to be a fact. I'd just love me to know the pros & cons if there are any.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
They are the same grade SS, but I don't what gauge thickness. Yeah, I've looked at Maryland Speed. I can get them about $200 cheaper, but I'm not really so concerned about a couple hundred bucks. I just don't want to have CEL/O2 issues. I'm pretty sure ARH build quality matches the KOOKS, but of course I don't KNOW that to be a fact. I'd just love me to know the pros & cons if there are any.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

From what I have read (not direct experience) the Kooks have about the best fit and finish of all the headers out there, so the least likely to have any clearance issues on install. That would be pretty important to me.

To avoid the O2 / CEL issues, you need to use the Kooks "green" cats, or so I am told. They are about $350 more over the "regular" cats.
crjackson2134 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016
GT Member

JBert is likely correct about needing the green cats. I have the regular Kooks cats and I was getting CEL's and had to have the tune eliminate the particular CEL codes that I was getting. There are no emissions testing in my area.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

It probably doesn't matter one bit what you go with. Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It sounds like I may as well go with the KOOKS. I guess there's a reason they're the most popular. It's just that the ARH look like long tube headers, and are designed with a wide spread which makes transmission removal/install easy. I'm sure I'll need a clutch down the road. Plus the ARH just looks more like a header (I know, silly... Who cares).

So I guess I'll just let my shop go with the KOOKS, probably less hassles for everyone. I didn't know about the "Green Cats" so that's good to know. I'll discuss it with him when the time comes.

Thanks for the input...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
JBert is likely correct about needing the green cats. I have the regular Kooks cats and I was getting CEL's and had to have the tune eliminate the particular CEL codes that I was getting. There are no emissions testing in my area.
Well, I "THINK" tuning would be required regardless to avoid the CEL issues and I'm okay with that. I just don't want to HAVE to turn off the rear O2s because the thing is so far out of spec. it's the only way to make the light go off (if that's possible). I could be chasing my tail here, but that's what the thread is for... To learn...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
It probably doesn't matter one bit what you go with. Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU
Yeah, I saw that a while back. It makes me wonder how any header can make more power, since the 5.0L has a shorty in stock form.

GT Member
S197 Member

Kooks has had some quality problems of late- seen a few headers with gaps in the collector where the primaries are supposed to be welded together. PITA but Kooks took care of it right away. YMMV.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
Kooks has had some quality problems of late- seen a few headers with gaps in the collector where the primaries are supposed to be welded together. PITA but Kooks took care of it right away. YMMV.
Since the speed shop I plan to use for the install stocks them at all times, that's probably not a concern. All they do are Mustangs so I'm guessing it'll be a pretty quick install/tune when I make the move.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'm pretty sure you always need to tune for headers to get the best performance.

As I understand it, the issue with the CEL / emissions / O2's is that most "high flow" cats don't work very well, so the rear O2's register that they are not working and then the rear O2 has to be turned off to avoid that code / CEL. But that's a catch-22 because you cannot pass emissions with the O2's turned off, all sensors must be reading "ready"

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I'm pretty sure you always need to tune for headers to get the best performance.

As I understand it, the issue with the CEL / emissions / O2's is that most "high flow" cats don't work very well, so the rear O2's register that they are not working and then the rear O2 has to be turned off to avoid that code / CEL. But that's a catch-22 because you cannot pass emissions with the O2's turned off, all sensors must be reading "ready"
Yeah, that was my worry since we have OBDII/emissions testing here. I talked with the tuner today, and he assures me that the car will pass all testing after the install. Hopefully he's a straight shooter here. He's not pushing a sale, and busier than a 3 legged man in a butt kicking contest.

https://www.facebook.com/ProDynoSC

Well, I guess I'll have to trust this and if it doesn't work out so be it.

Rookie

I went with Kooks 1-3/4" LT's and a Kooks O/R H-pipe. The guy that did the install has done a tone of work on 5.0's and has found that Kooks are usually a direct fit 99% of the time. However, he has had to re-weld 02 sensor locations on ARH's before, but, never on a pair of Kooks.

My car went from 422 RWHP / 367 RWTQ with a Lethal O/R H and axle-backs to 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ with Kooks 1-3/4" LT's and an O/R H with a revised tune.

Power and sound is there.

I vote Kooks

2014 GT - Track Pack, Leather Recaros, Electronics Package, Back-up Camera - Ported CJ Manifold, SCJ Mono-Blade TB, Custom Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks O/R H-pipe, Borla S-Types, AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Ordered: 3/19/2014 - Built: 5/13/2014 - Delivered: 5/19/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page