2011 GT longtube headers quieter than stock - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

2011 GT longtube headers quieter than stock

Hey guys got a question here. So I just installed ARH longtube headers on my stang and it definitely a lot quieter at idle and while crushing. Screams at wot though. I have ARH h pipes and SLP loudmouths also. The later I previously had with my stock manifolds on. Just wondering if I throw on my Flowmaster axle backs that I have lying around on, which have mufflers, would it make the idle and crushing louder than with the slp's? I heard the reason it's not as loud is because there's less restriction in the pipes now with the longtubes, but I'm keeping those on obviously. So mufflers=more restriction=louder? Kinda confused with how this works

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016
GT Member

I am a little surprised that you got a little quieter. I am assuming you must have gone with the catted version of the H pipe. If you have the time I recommend that you switch the axle backs and see what you like better. Then if not loud enough or the tone you are looking for then either remove the resonators on the over axle pipes or purchase and install Borla over axle pipes that are 2.75" diameter without resonators.

I still have hi flow cats and with the borla over axle pipes and GT500 style axlebacks the car is probably as loud as I would want it. A guy at work believes it is obnoxiously loud, but he drives a nissan 370z so everyone has their own taste in sound.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I tried switching to the flowmasters and it sounds surprisingly similar. And considering that one set has mufflers and the other doesn't is even more baffling to me. It's especially frustrating because I can barely even hear anything unless I'm damn near redlining it. The car gods must not be on my side

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016
GT Member

Can you confirm exactly what you installed such as did you install headers with what size primaries? Did you install 3" H pipe with cats? And you have the stock over axle pipe with resonators?

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016
Rookie

Headers typically quiet cars down at idle and lower cruising speeds. Once you go WOT, it is a completely different story.

I went from a Lethal O/R H with Borla S-Types and it was loud at startup and idle. Now with a set of Kooks 1-3/4" LT's and their 3" O/R H-pipe and the S-Types, my car is quieter at startup and idle. However, it is insanely loud at WOT.

2014 GT - Track Pack, Leather Recaros, Electronics Package, Back-up Camera - Ported CJ Manifold, SCJ Mono-Blade TB, Custom Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks O/R H-pipe, Borla S-Types, AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Ordered: 3/19/2014 - Built: 5/13/2014 - Delivered: 5/19/2014
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I installed 1-3/4" long tubes with catted h pipes. Stock over axle and I have both flowmasters and SLP loudmouths but they sound almost the same when I switch them out now. I'm definitely getting rid of the cats soon that's for sure
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

And yes h pipes are 3"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016
GT Member

If you have to redline it to hear something then your considered legally deaf. I can here a completely stock gt while cruising, my borla touring mufflers made it noticeably louder. Then I didn't boss side pipes and it got louder.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If it truly is that quiet, then it must be the new cats... Are you talking about being quiet inside of the car or outside? It seems like you are talking about cockpit exhaust noise. It may be louder than you think outside (at speed).

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
GT Member

Hey Rookie Ryan,
If you are for real then you need to update your profile to indicate your location where you live. i.e town and state. Otherwise you are a spammer and you will disappear like POOOF real soon when Kenv finds out.

Ford Mustang Forum - Announcements in Forum : 2011 - 2014 Mustang GT Tech

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page