Power mods - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Power mods

Hello,

I bit of a newbie here so please bare with me. I have a 2012 GT premium, bone stock. I just bought the car earlier in the week. Only has 13k miles on it.

I'm reading up on power mods, intake/exhaust and a tune. It seems like for the exhaust, all the power is in the headers, which I'm not planning on replacing, so even a catback isn't a good bang for the buck. I think I've decided on the flowmaster outlaws axleback. I'm not sure how much an x-pipe or h-pipe will help with power or is it more for just sound?

On the intake, I've been reading reviews saying a CAI isn't really worth the cost as the stock intake is really well designed. What about a CAI with a Bama 91 race tune? Is it worth the money over just the Bama 91 race tune by itself?

What I'm considering at this point is:
Bama 91 race tune (it's hard to find 93 octane around here)
Flowmaster outlaw axleback (just for sound)

Possibly:
CAI
Boss 302 intake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016
PONY Member

Exhaust is largely just going to be louder. Most CAIs are really hot air intakes and don't help, although I think there is one AM CAI that actually helps a bit. The OEM intake is a CAI, and works very well.

I would suggest that you think about what sort of vehicle you want, what want it to do well, before doing anything. For instance; I want my car to be both to drive, but to retain it's Grand Touring capabilities. I want it to drive like what I imagine an Aston Martin drives like. So I'm focused on NVH, suspension and brakes, it's got enough straight-line performance with nothing but a tune.

So take some time to figure out what you want your car to be, what you want to do with it, and then go from there.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

This will be a daily driver for me. I'd like to add usable low to midrange power of possible. That's why I'm considering the Bama 91 race tune. The flowmaster outlaws will just be for sound.

What I definitely would like to do in near future is the MGW race spec shifter, I'd like to lower the car as well and do some mods to reduce wheel hop.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016
PONY Member

Garage
I have a sct tuner with 91 tune along with a bbk intake
makes a world of a difference
you can really feel the change in performance
scarry fast
cai looks nice too
bought the tuner and intake used for 400 cnd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150823-00217.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	709.6 KB
ID:	498929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150822_165934.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	498937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150823-00219.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	647.1 KB
ID:	498945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150808_103905.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	799.2 KB
ID:	498953  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG-1 View Post
This will be a daily driver for me. I'd like to add usable low to midrange power of possible. That's why I'm considering the Bama 91 race tune. The flowmaster outlaws will just be for sound.

What I definitely would like to do in near future is the MGW race spec shifter, I'd like to lower the car as well and do some mods to reduce wheel hop.
While mine is not a daily driver, I had the same goals in mind and went the same route that you are thinking about. I drive the car aggressively and I am extremely happy with my setup. Actually taking the car to a track (1.7 mile road course) for the first time this spring so I'll really get to see how it handles. Take a look at the mods in my sig to get an idea of what I did. I would highly recommend better/wider tires also.

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
While mine is not a daily driver, I had the same goals in mind and went the same route that you are thinking about. I drive the car aggressively and I am extremely happy with my setup. Actually taking the car to a track (1.7 mile road course) for the first time this spring so I'll really get to see how it handles. Take a look at the mods in my sig to get an idea of what I did. I would highly recommend better/wider tires also.

Rob
Thank Rob.

Are you talking about a staggered tire setup?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Long tubes can make some power but if you want to skip that, mid pipe with cat deletes will make power. Axle back is more for tone vs power like mentioned. Cai and tune will net power too, mostly from tune, but if you want to keep squeezing all you can, get a cai. For the hot box, yes it will suck in hot air and while sitting your iat's will increase but once moving they will drop to ambient to around 10 degrees above. For tuners.. Lund or AED.
If you want the boss im, you'll need a good tuner. And eventually long tubes so it'll exhale better. Also if you have e85 near you, get Lunds or AED's flex fuel tune.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016
PONY Member

It has been said many times here before but I will repeat it: All the power in the world is not worth a darn without proper traction - start with improvements there first unless it is your goal to sit and spin the tires or drift when you did not want to: LCR, adjustable Shocks and good tires are start - I wish someone had told me this when I started!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG-1 View Post
Thank Rob.

Are you talking about a staggered tire setup?

Not necessarily staggered but certainly wider. The goal is to get a larger area of tire in contact with the road surface for better grip. I prefer the staggered tire look but the downside is the inability to rotate your tires. Since mine is a weekend toy it is not a big deal for me.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
GT Member
S197 Member

Skip the boss intake. 6000rpm power is not worth the low end and midrange losses IMO.
Apprentice

Unless you are planning the install yourself (7-10 hours) for headers the value proposition is pretty poor compared to offroad h or x pipe. Midpipe is like 1/4 the cost for 90% percent of the gains. Do not let people tell you they buy headers for sound...lol. Car comes factory with tuned, tubular, tri y designed, and 409 stainless headers from factory. Your midpipe back affects the sound.

VMP tuned and offroad X only on a full weight GT/CS auto I was running 12.3's on stock 245's @ 1500 feet elevation. Leaving off idle...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
Long tubes can make some power but if you want to skip that, mid pipe with cat deletes will make power. Axle back is more for tone vs power like mentioned. Cai and tune will net power too, mostly from tune, but if you want to keep squeezing all you can, get a cai. For the hot box, yes it will suck in hot air and while sitting your iat's will increase but once moving they will drop to ambient to around 10 degrees above. For tuners.. Lund or AED.
If you want the boss im, you'll need a good tuner. And eventually long tubes so it'll exhale better. Also if you have e85 near you, get Lunds or AED's flex fuel tune.
Lund or AED over Bama?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
It has been said many times here before but I will repeat it: All the power in the world is not worth a darn without proper traction - start with improvements there first unless it is your goal to sit and spin the tires or drift when you did not want to: LCR, adjustable Shocks and good tires are start - I wish someone had told me this when I started!!
I definitely plan on doing this.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Lund or AED definitely over bama. I have Lund though and I'm happy.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
Skip the boss intake. 6000rpm power is not worth the low end and midrange losses IMO.

The low end loss is very minimal with the right tuner/tune. Definitely no mid range loss. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference at all of any loss. Just that at 5k-8k rpms it screams.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page