Bola S-type Catback part #140515 vs stock exhaust on 13 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bola S-type Catback part #140515 vs stock exhaust on 13 GT

This doesn't seem much of an upgrade for being a 2.75" exhaust. Apparently Borla clarified some things for me after doing a little bit of research. They carry a 3 inch version of the S-type exhaust catback (part #140389), however, they discovered that the exhaust tips stick out further (approximately 1 inch) on the 13-14 GT vs 11-12 GT. This is due to the style of the rear valence on the 13-14 GT. People complained about the tips sticking out too much and looking funny. Borla listened to the complaints and revised their website to show that the 3 inch version ONLY fits the 11-12 GT. Now, for this reason they made an S-type exhaust specifically for the 13-14 GT, but it only comes in a 2.75" version. Borla confirmed that they will not make a separate 3 inch version for the 13-14 GT. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the stock exhaust 2.75"? Does anyone have part #140515 on their 13-14 GT?

2013 Mustang GT Premium with shaker audio system, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing springs, Ford Racing aluminum radiator, Forgestar CF10 wheels (brilliant silver), 20x9 front with 255/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and 20x11 rear with 295/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson5oh View Post
This doesn't seem much of an upgrade for being a 2.75" exhaust. Apparently Borla clarified some things for me after doing a little bit of research. They carry a 3 inch version of the S-type exhaust catback (part #140389), however, they discovered that the exhaust tips stick out further (approximately 1 inch) on the 13-14 GT vs 11-12 GT. This is due to the style of the rear valence on the 13-14 GT. People complained about the tips sticking out too much and looking funny. Borla listened to the complaints and revised their website to show that the 3 inch version ONLY fits the 11-12 GT. Now, for this reason they made an S-type exhaust specifically for the 13-14 GT, but it only comes in a 2.75" version. Borla confirmed that they will not make a separate 3 inch version for the 13-14 GT. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the stock exhaust 2.75"? Does anyone have part #140515 on their 13-14 GT?
3 inch is on the gt500 only.... 2.5 is stock..... 2.75 is borla.

I have the touring catback for the 13-14

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
3 inch is on the gt500 only.... 2.5 is stock..... 2.75 is borla.

I have the touring catback for the 13-14
Thank you for that. I prefer to upgrade to a 3 inch version, plus I have prior experience with Borla catbacks on my previous mustang. Nowadays, it seems that most aftermarket exhaust company's are only making 3 inch pipes for the 11-14 GT. I suppose I could just get the 3 inch version and get a local shop to cut off the extra inch.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016
GT Member

you aren't going to see a difference in performance with a 3 vs a 2.75 unless you are boosted most likely. 3 inch systems take up a lot of room underneath the car. If your lowered you will have a hard time getting it setup in the right position so it doesn't scrape the axle or body. My friend it dealing with that right now with his 3 inch magnaflows.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
you aren't going to see a difference in performance with a 3 vs a 2.75 unless you are boosted most likely. 3 inch systems take up a lot of room underneath the car. If your lowered you will have a hard time getting it setup in the right position so it doesn't scrape the axle or body. My friend it dealing with that right now with his 3 inch magnaflows.
I guess I'm just one of those stubborn people. If I'm not mistaken, only Borla makes a 2.75" version for the 13-14 GT. I'm not too worried about performance right now. In time, I eventually want to go with a Roush phase 1 supercharger, which is why I wanted to upgrade to 3 inch pipes. My car is only lowered one inch, not sure if I'll have scraping issues. I'm going to have to think about this a little more. Who knows, I might even go with another brand, although I have to admit, I love Borla exhaust systems.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson5oh View Post
I guess I'm just one of those stubborn people. If I'm not mistaken, only Borla makes a 2.75" version for the 13-14 GT. I'm not too worried about performance right now. In time, I eventually want to go with a Roush phase 1 supercharger, which is why I wanted to upgrade to 3 inch pipes. My car is only lowered one inch, not sure if I'll have scraping issues. I'm going to have to think about this a little more. Who knows, I might even go with another brand, although I have to admit, I love Borla exhaust systems.
I have the 2.75 for the 13-14. I mean those pipes are plenty big. But its up to you..

funny thing is that the factory h pipe is 2.25 lol. I wish someone made a replica 2.75 inch boss style h pipe. I tried the mrt 3 inch one and it just wasn't aligning as good as the factory one.

and my friends was scraping on the diff and axle with 1.75-2 inch drop.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

You mean the H-pipe on the stock exhaust is even smaller? I didn't know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in