post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVoigt View Post
What's the elevation where you live?
Just looked up and it looks like where I'm located is roughly 450 feet over sea level, so nothing crazy.

2013 Silver Ingot GT Premium 6R80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

I believe the best I had gotten was a 4.4 also. If I remember correctly I have to shift into 3rd gear before 60 so that has to be slowing me down. I don't really want to change the rev limiter limit.

And it is very difficult to launch these cars perfectly. You are screwed if it breaks loose too much in first and screwed if it bogs in first from not enough gas. Real touchy on street tires for sure.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
PONY Member

It's the stock tune, not the gearing. Put a good tune on it and your next thread will be "what's a good tire I can run without spinning?"

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold

GT Member

Having had both BBP 12 and BBP 14, with manual 3.73 and auto 3.15....both tuned...The 12 was very hard to launch successfully. It needed immediate attention in the rear suspension and shifter department to be consistent. The stock wheelhop meant getting it right was maybe 3/10 times on cold street pavement. The auto didn't need anything, it just fired out hard. The car isn't slower in a straight line, at least not detectably so. The key was slightly pedalling the car on the 1-2 shift to maintain traction.

We shall see what the track says in the spring...

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Having had both BBP 12 and BBP 14, with manual 3.73 and auto 3.15....both tuned...The 12 was very hard to launch successfully. It needed immediate attention in the rear suspension and shifter department to be consistent. The stock wheelhop meant getting it right was maybe 3/10 times on cold street pavement. The auto didn't need anything, it just fired out hard. The car isn't slower in a straight line, at least not detectably so. The key was slightly pedalling the car on the 1-2 shift to maintain traction.

We shall see what the track says in the spring...

I am remembering the 12s had the Brembo Performance Pack, and the 14s had the Track Pack. Am I miss-remembering? Were the 14s available with both the BPP and the Track Pack as different options?

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
I am remembering the 12s had the Brembo Performance Pack, and the 14s had the Track Pack. Am I miss-remembering? Were the 14s available with both the BPP and the Track Pack as different options?
It's BBP, Brembo Brake Package. I have a 2014 BBP with a 6R80 automatic.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
GT Member

Track pack in the 14s required the manual trans but, you could have BBP with the automatic and it contains everything that really matters on the street from TP.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The (55D) Brembo Brake Package includes the following:
  • Front: 14" Brembo® Vented Rotors with Brembo® 4-Piston Calipers
  • 19 x 9.0-inch dark-stainless premium painted aluminum wheels
  • 255/40R19 Pirelli PZero Summer-Only (Coupe) or P255/40ZR19 Goodyear F1 Supercar (Convertible)
  • Different Springs (131lbs Front / 167lbs Rear)
  • Different Struts/ Shocks (tuned for spring rates)
  • GT-500 Rear Lower Control Arms ( Higher Durometer Rubber)
  • Unique Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) Tuning
  • Unique Sport Steering Control Setting (EPAS)
  • Tire Mobility Kit Replaces Spare Tire

The GT Track Package comes with all of the above +
  • 3.73 final ratio
  • Torsen limited slip dif
  • Boss Radiator
  • Engine Oil cooler

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Rookie

New member, long time reader. I registered just to answer your post because I had the same issue.

I have a base 13GT Cab (vert) automatic that I installed the premium cluster with track aps and 18x10 rear wheels. The best I could get for the 0-60 was 5.0. No matter how I tried launching, I could not get the tires to bite. Last weekend I installed BMR LCA with the relocation bracket, and man what a difference. I still can't go WOT from the get go, but I can get 70-80% even in 40F weather. With that change I was able to consistently get 4.7s on launches this weekend. The transmission is set in "S" and I am not doing the manual shifts as they are not quick enough to prevent redlining. I am hoping that when the weather warms up I can go WOT and get the 4.5s. My thinking is that a tune to set the 1st and 2nd gear shifts to 6,900 rpms can get me another .1 and then 3.73 gears can get me to the low 4s.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCinMD View Post
New member, long time reader. I registered just to answer your post because I had the same issue.

I have a base 13GT Cab (vert) automatic that I installed the premium cluster with track aps and 18x10 rear wheels. The best I could get for the 0-60 was 5.0. No matter how I tried launching, I could not get the tires to bite. Last weekend I installed BMR LCA with the relocation bracket, and man what a difference. I still can't go WOT from the get go, but I can get 70-80% even in 40F weather. With that change I was able to consistently get 4.7s on launches this weekend. The transmission is set in "S" and I am not doing the manual shifts as they are not quick enough to prevent redlining. I am hoping that when the weather warms up I can go WOT and get the 4.5s. My thinking is that a tune to set the 1st and 2nd gear shifts to 6,900 rpms can get me another .1 and then 3.73 gears can get me to the low 4s.
Just curious. Are you lowered? If so how much? What holes did you use in the bracket? For stock height I went 1 down from stock. For 1.5" drop I went 1 more hole down. I have not tried the bottom hole.

But as a warning, the lower the hole you use, the more torque/twist is applied to the axle tubes and thus the more force to resist at the connection to the pumpkin. I would suggest getting the axle tubes welded to the pumpkin. Special weld material and methods are required due to dissimilar metals. If the connections break loose then you will likely damage your car in the wheel wells etc. and expensive repairs.

And in my opinion .373's with the stock automatic is too aggresive. There are threads on this that you can search. You are better off with an aftermarket torque converter.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...axle-tube.html

Rookie

I am not lowered. I am currently in the top hole which is still an inch or two lower than the stock hole. With that setup my lca is very slightly tilted down towards the axle. I probably won't go lower as there are risks. If I still can't go WOT from a dead stop in warm weather, then I might try the second hole to see if I can get full hook up, or just upgrade the UCA.
Rookie

I have read the many post several times with regards to gear change. My reason for a new gear has to do with joy of driving and not quick launches. I just need more low-end torque while I drive and not just at launch. Right now I have to be going 40 in 2nd gear to get to the umph that I want. With the 3.73 gears I should get there around 30. The only thing aggressive in the automatic is 1st which can only be used for launching. I have tried driving in it and there is no umph unless WOT. Below is the final drive ratios for various set ups.

Gear - 3.73M - 3.15A - 3.73A - 4.10A
1 - 13.6518 - 13.1355 - 15.5541 - 17.097
2 - 9.0639 - 7.371 - 8.7282 - 9.594
3 - 6.3037 - 4.788 - 5.6696 - 6.232
4 - 4.9236 - 3.591 - 4.2522 - 4.674
5 - 3.73 - 2.7405 - 3.2451 - 3.567
6 - 2.4245 - 2.1735 - 2.5737 - 2.829

As you can see, after first gear, 3.73 in the automatic is still way less aggressive than the 3.73 manual ratio. I would go to 4.10s, but then I would need to shift to 3rd before 60mph (~7,150 rpm in 2nd). I am also considering 3.9s. I have driven automatics with the higher ratio and they are so much more enjoyable than what I have. I will try a tune first as I will need the tuner anyways to adjust the speedometer, but I am pretty sure that I will still want the gears.

13GT DIB Cabriolet
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCinMD View Post
I have read the many post several times with regards to gear change. My reason for a new gear has to do with joy of driving and not quick launches. I just need more low-end torque while I drive and not just at launch. Right now I have to be going 40 in 2nd gear to get to the umph that I want. With the 3.73 gears I should get there around 30. The only thing aggressive in the automatic is 1st which can only be used for launching. I have tried driving in it and there is no umph unless WOT. Below is the final drive ratios for various set ups.

Gear - 3.73M - 3.15A - 3.73A - 4.10A
1 - 13.6518 - 13.1355 - 15.5541 - 17.097
2 - 9.0639 - 7.371 - 8.7282 - 9.594
3 - 6.3037 - 4.788 - 5.6696 - 6.232
4 - 4.9236 - 3.591 - 4.2522 - 4.674
5 - 3.73 - 2.7405 - 3.2451 - 3.567
6 - 2.4245 - 2.1735 - 2.5737 - 2.829

As you can see, after first gear, 3.73 in the automatic is still way less aggressive than the 3.73 manual ratio. I would go to 4.10s, but then I would need to shift to 3rd before 60mph (~7,150 rpm in 2nd). I am also considering 3.9s. I have driven automatics with the higher ratio and they are so much more enjoyable than what I have. I will try a tune first as I will need the tuner anyways to adjust the speedometer, but I am pretty sure that I will still want the gears.
Well that does make sense now. Interesting information. Did you find that chart or calculate the numbers? I wonder if it is a simple calculation.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

With the auto, if you don't care about launches or where you are trapping at the track, I would do 3.73's. I know for me I want to trap the 1320 in the upper rpms power band. At the next test n tune I'll know if I need to move up to 3.55's or not with the boss im.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page