Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
How to achieve the factory 0-60 with Auto

I've tried off and on over the last month or two to do more 0-60 runs using track apps on my '13 GT, but I'm not seeing better than 5.1 seconds. I've tried drive, sport mode, and sport mode with manual shifting and various throttle response from just full gas pedal to holding the brake and revving a bit in drive and then letting off the brake. The car is pretty much as stock as can be, is this typical or am I doing something wrong here?

Just kind of disappointed I can't get the factory numbers, 5.1 is quite a bit off from 4.5 and I sometimes wonder if there's something up with mine. I'm assuming I have the 3.15 gears, so is that plus the factory tune really causing the less than impressive times?

2013 Silver Ingot GT Premium 6R80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016
PONY Member

Garage
seems slow to me

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Well, it's not that far off... You're talking about .6 seconds and a lot comes into play. Tires, surface, ambient temperature, elevation, driver weight, and a host of other things. Unless you are competing, I wouldn't worry about .6 seconds. Sounds like you car is fine...

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo

Last edited by crjackson2134; 02-24-2016 at 09:30 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016
Apprentice

I do not believe those timers are accurate at all. I remember only getting 13.0 and rarely 12.9's. Went to track (VMP tune only) and ran 12.45,12.47,12.51 all back to back. So that was the end of using the performance timer. I'm auto 3.15's too.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
I do not believe those timers are accurate at all. I remember only getting 13.0 and rarely 12.9's. Went to track (VMP tune only) and ran 12.45,12.47,12.51 all back to back. So that was the end of using the performance timer. I'm auto 3.15's too.
Good point too.
luckyloke likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016
PONY Member

too many variables with track timer in the car - Altho I can say when I used it just for fun before I modded the car --with a good launch on street tires(i.e. no spin) I was right around 4.5 - this is a manual 3.73 gears
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

First of all, turn off the TC/Advance track completely. Rev the engine to 2K, roll in the gas and release the brake simultaniously.
Applying the gaspedal is not as easy as it sounds. Too fast and you just make smoke, not fast enough...****** time.
I didn't got mine below 4.6 sec. It just takes some practice.

2010 Performance white V6 automatic: Sold.

2014 Oxford white GT/CS, glassroof, comfort pkg. VMP tune, Borla touring AB, RLT hoodlift
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Also, the testing is usually done with 1/4 tank of gas or less. One driver that weighs about 120 lbs. and ideal temperature and surface.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Well I sure haven't tried the low gas tank thing (I never really thought that made much difference, but I'll give it a go). It seemed to me like the manuals more easily get close to the factory numbers, assuming the driver shifts well and doesn't get too much wheelspin. I wonder if the 4.5 second time was with a manual or auto? I usually did leave the traction and assists off, don't usually get too much wheelspin. I'm using the factory Pirelli tires and usually tried the runs after driving the car for awhile so the tires were warmed up. I thought because of torque converter lockup it's better not to load the engine by giving it some gas with your foot on the brake and to just take off from idle? I can't remember all the RPMs I've tried that at, it's been a while since I tried another run due to weather conditions. I'll try to record it with my camera instead of using the track apps the next few times.

I feel like personally I'd get better numbers from driving the manual, but that's just a feeling. And I thought the automatics were supposed to be as simple as stomp the pedal and go

PONY Member

A MT will give better 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times, up to a certain performance level.

Many magazines got 4.4/4.5 0-60s out of Brembo/Track Pack 6SP MT/3.73 gear cars. Owning one, I'm very certain that those times are not hard to do at all, especially once you tune your car and are proficient with a manual transmission.

I highly doubt an automatic car will do much better that 5.0 second 0-60s, until serious power mods are in place.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 on a lot of variables. First time I did it with a few mods and stock tires, 4.9. Second time doing it, with boss im, different cai and cat deletes, 3.15's and stock tires, 4.4. My 0-30mph was a 2.1.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Pic of it. Should put the DR's on and do it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1456420185708.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	500802  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Hmm, so I guess I need a tune to do better than 5 sec? I thought automatic cars these days (particularly performance car autos) had pretty much hit parity with the manual versions, so I really didn't think too much about the performance capability being any different on the auto vs the manual in stock form. Is it more down to the gear ratio, or just the flat out ability of how quickly the auto can shift? I have a friend who still insists that automatics are all just as fast as the manual version of the same car, but all I keep seeing now that I look is evidence showing the manuals besting the autos unless they miss a gear. My other car (Maxima) in auto form squeaks out a miserable 7 something second 0-60, with the manual it drops down to 5.9 seconds, but I thought most autos from 10+ years ago were pretty poor performance wise explaining the big difference.

PONY Member

What's the elevation where you live?

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The 6r80 is way better than past transmissions. Usually the auto is quicker and more reliable when it comes to shifts. Though two identical mustangs, the manual could slowly walk it. The drivetrain loss is still a little more than a manual. Better than what it use to be though. Also there is a weight difference. The 6r80 dry probably weights 100lbs more than the 82. Add 12 quarts of fluid, extra wiring, converter and flex plate, extra lines that run to the radiator and now it weights a lot more than the 82 manual trans even with its flywheel and clutch setup.

The 4.4 that I got, I feel I wasn't super aggressive due to the tires would spin. But you still have to find that balance at launching so it's aggressive but not too much.

Pa and temp will play a factor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page