One Rear Tire Wrecked? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

One Rear Tire Wrecked?

A little help please;

This morning I discovered that my right rear (passenger side) tire is smoked, in the center I could feel cords. The other 3 tires are fine, with lots of meat left. They're Conti Extreme Contact DWs, with around 15k miles on them.

This car has a LSD, so why would one rear tire be smoked? I don't race/track the car, I don't do burn-outs, so how can one tire on the back be gone? I worry I have a dif problem.

I thank you all in advance for your ideas/thoughts.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Dumb question,was the tire pressure in all tires the same,usually if the center of the tire wears out it is caused by to much air in the tire.Could also be a bad tire.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Dumb question,was the tire pressure in all tires the same,usually if the center of the tire wears out it is caused by to much air in the tire.Could also be a bad tire.
I regularly check my pressures, and keep them 2 PSI over what's on the door-jamb. And if it was a PSI issue, then all my tires would be ruined.

And, over the last two months or so of winter, they've been running 2-3 PSI under what's on the door-jamb, with the fridgid temps. So if anything, the tire should be worn on the outside.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Does the wheel itself look ok,is it running true ?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Does the wheel itself look ok,is it running true ?

Yes, it's fine. No weird shakes/ out-of-balance issues.

This is my DDer, I would notice a sudden change.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016
Rookie

Even though it is unusual, I'd say it is just a tire failure. I have seen a tire fail like this. If you have any warranty, it should cover it. Otherwise just bite the bullet and buy a tire (or a matching pair). I would closely check out the wheel during mounting too.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

It looks pretty damn strange. The center part of the tire is just gone.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Time to take it to the tire shop and have them look at it,keep us posted as to your outcome.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016
GT Member

Well, I can lift your spirits. If you don't do burnouts, that rules out a problem with the diff. The diff only does something when traction is imperilled to one or both of the back tires. I'm inclined to say this is a QC issue with the tire and this won't be the first one I've heard of from the Contis, I'm afraid.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I don't know what happened with my pic, but new rear tires are on. Whatever happened happened, but I'm pretty sure it's my driving.

GT Member

Could be a material issue with the tire. But just to be on the safe side, you might want check the wheel well for rubber before you take it to the tire shop, because I guarantee you, they will.

That could be awkward if the wheel well is full of shredded rubber.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
I don't know what happened with my pic, but new rear tires are on. Whatever happened happened, but I'm pretty sure it's my driving.
How could it be your driving? Did the shop ever provide their thoughts on what could have been the issue? Also let us know if it happens again. What tires you go with?

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
How could it be your driving? Did the shop ever provide their thoughts on what could have been the issue? Also let us know if it happens again. What tires you go with?

With no real LSD (I was mistaken in thinking Brembo cars have them), the right rear takes a beating. And I drive like a moron; I accelerate hard from lights, brake deep into corners, and get on the gas early coming out of turns.

Basically, I drive like a moron.

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
With no real LSD (I was mistaken in thinking Brembo cars have them
Why would your car not have a limited slip differential? My understanding is that all 2011-up Mustangs had them. I certainly know that my Brembo, 3.73 car had one.
PONY Member

Garage
I'm pretty sure all recent mustangs have a limited slip. You might be thinking of the Torsen that only track pack/boss cars come with

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in