Just changed the oil question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Just changed the oil question

I just changed my oil and filter put in 8 qts like I always do. Before I cranked it up I pulled the dipstick and she was between the two holes. I thought to myself well I will need to add a little more but before I do I will crank it up then allow the oil to drain back into the pan. 1 hour later I pulled the stick and she was a good half inch over the upper hole. WTH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016
GT Member

if you're certain you drained all the oil, don't sweat where it reads on the dipstick, put your 8qts in, start it, shut it off, let is settle for about 5 minutes, check for leaks, check dipstick reading, where ever it reads is your full mark. I see way too many people stress over this. there are going to be differences from car to car on the dipstick, my car when filled with 8qts is about an 1/8" below the top hole

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Always check after you start the car and let it sit. Like mentioned. If you put in 8, it should definitely be good to go.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks all this makes sense.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016
GT Member

Track package vehicles that require 5W-50 require 8.5 quarts.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016
Apprentice

You're fine, don't sweat the small stuff. In my experience the dipstick will also read over a little since the tube kinda curls along the side of the engine, so when you bring it up it drags along the wall a little and sometimes some oil in the tube will mess up the reading a bit. Either way you'll be fine.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016
Banned

I have noticed twice now that when the oil stops draining into the pan and I pull the filter, a significant amount of oil drains from the pan again. I used to put the plug in before pulling the filter and wondered why adding the eight quarts put me a bit over full.

Apparently I wasn't draining completely by putting the plug in before pulling the filter. Might be something to check next oil change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in