Stainless Steel Braided Brake Line Kit - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The lines should definitely come with new washers, not sure about the bolts.

Pretty sure the brake fluid is sold in pints not quarts, and you need three pints not three quarts. I only mention this because I had a small panic, thinking I didn't get enough fluid when I was in the middle of doing mine and noticed I had pints not quarts.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Rob, if ya need a hand (foot) to help with bleeding let me know.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member
S197 Member

Lol yes about pints v quarts. 3 quarts wold last you a couple years if you were a very diligent flusher.

GT Member

Different brands sell bottles of brake fluid with different sizes. Please see the chart.

The ATE comes in 33.8 oz cans = 1 Litre. I believe this is the link for information I used when I was trying to determine how much to purchase for a complete flush of the brake system. I had the Ford Dealer perform the 1st flush for sure, and I think the 2nd flush and then I installed the Vorshlag lines with my left over fluid.

How much brake fluid to flush system? - MustangForums.com

I am pretty sure both flushes used at least 1.5 litres = 50.7 oz. That ends up being about 3.2 pints at 16 oz per pint.

So I still believe you need to purchase 2 quarts or 2 litres for flushing to be on the safe side. I went even safer going with 3 since it was my first time and it worked out great the 2nd time since I lost fluid when I installed the lines.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Different brands sell bottles of brake fluid with different sizes. Please see the chart.

The ATE comes in 33.8 oz cans = 1 Litre. I believe this is the link for information I used when I was trying to determine how much to purchase for a complete flush of the brake system. I had the Ford Dealer perform the 1st flush for sure, and I think the 2nd flush and then I installed the Vorshlag lines with my left over fluid.

How much brake fluid to flush system? - MustangForums.com

I am pretty sure both flushes used at least 1.5 litres = 50.7 oz. That ends up being about 3.2 pints at 16 oz per pint.

So I still believe you need to purchase 2 quarts or 2 litres for flushing to be on the safe side. I went even safer going with 3 since it was my first time and it worked out great the 2nd time since I lost fluid when I installed the lines.
I agree, 100%. There is quite a bit of fluid, and you don't want to get cut short. I don't think 3 pints would work. On other vehicles, I've always grabbed 3 quarts/liters, and if I had a little extra, oh well. Then again, I was using fluid that cost $8 a quart, rather than $20+.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The lines should definitely come with new washers, not sure about the bolts.

Pretty sure the brake fluid is sold in pints not quarts, and you need three pints not three quarts. I only mention this because I had a small panic, thinking I didn't get enough fluid when I was in the middle of doing mine and noticed I had pints not quarts.
I will have plenty of time once the kit arrives to check out the hardware. Hopefully it comes with washers but I might pick up some extras anyway just in case I lose one. I agree, it probably won't come with the bolts. As far as the fluid goes, it sounds like 2 quarts should do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Rob, if ya need a hand (foot) to help with bleeding let me know.
Thanks Mud. I just might take you up on that offer.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
GT Member

Yes if I remember correctly you get the new washers and you reuse the factory banjo bolts.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Anybody have any experience/info on the Russell stainless steel line kit through AM?

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I could not find any information as to if the Russell brake lines have an outer coating over the SS braid. This is important because without it dirt will get into the braid and wear away at the inner lining of the hose and eventually the hose can leak.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
I could not find any information as to if the Russell brake lines have an outer coating over the SS braid. This is important because without it dirt will get into the braid and wear away at the inner lining of the hose and eventually the hose can leak.
Good call, I didn't think of that.

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
PONY Member

I have the Russell lines, they do have a clear coating over the braid. Not sure how much better the other manufacturers lines are but the Russell lines are definitely the best bang for your buck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelforFire87 View Post
I have the Russell lines, they do have a clear coating over the braid. Not sure how much better the other manufacturers lines are but the Russell lines are definitely the best bang for your buck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback, the other brands probably are superior lines but I'm shooting for a budget brake upgrade as the OE setup does the job on the street, and even if I can get on a road course as much as I want, it still wouldn't be more than a coupld times a summer.

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in