'14 GT Power Window issues - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xDistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

'14 GT Power Window issues

Hey everyone, I'm having an extremely annoying issue I'm hoping someone has the answer to.

Purchased a 2014 GT/CS with 50k miles, with an extended bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer.

About a month ago I started having issues with the driver's side window. It rolled down by itself and wouldn't go back up until I slammed the door. Eventually it wouldn't go back up at all unless it sat a few hours.

Took it in to the dealer and they said no biggie, power window motor was bad, as well as the relay and the switch, so they changed it. Worked for about a day and began going up and down on it's own until eventually it no longer did anything.

Took it back again and they said whoever put the motor in didn't do the reset properly and in doing so had messed up the motor again, so it had to be changed again. Fine, whatever.

After the second motor was in I didn't make it off the lot before it started messing up. Went back in and they said they'd check it, gave me a rental and sent me on my way.

Two days later they said the ground wire was bad so they changed it and it was doing great. Picked it up and indeed it was doing fine for three days.

Backed out from work and it started the same issue again. Took it back and it's been there three days and they have no idea what's going on with it. I've searched on here, Google in general, and posted on Reddit with no answers.

Anyone have any idea what it'd be? About two weeks prior to the issue I had exhaust put on but I don't see how that has anything to do with my problem.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016
GT Member

That certainly is strange. Possibly the car has become possessed? Maybe it has to do with another broken ground wire or something else electrical shorted out due to the bad ground wire? It might have something to do with a wire in contact or the shielding melted by being too close to one of the headers and it could then be shorting out a wire.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Was the fuse for the windows replaced? It could be faulty, and work when cold and not after being a bit warmer.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
That certainly is strange. Possibly the car has become possessed? Maybe it has to do with another broken ground wire or something else electrical shorted out due to the bad ground wire? It might have something to do with a wire in contact or the shielding melted by being too close to one of the headers and it could then be shorting out a wire.
Possession has crossed my mind! I named her Meredith but I feel like it should be changed to Carrie. Would the ground wire be an issue I could check on my own? I know there's many but maybe just around that general area? What's strange is I watched them and after they take off the door panel it would run fine, then maybe 30 minutes after reassembly it'd have issues again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
Was the fuse for the windows replaced? It could be faulty, and work when cold and not after being a bit warmer.

Pete
That I'm not sure of, I checked all the fuses myself and they all showed a green light on my reader. Even tried switching the driver and passenger under the hood fuses since they were the same amp and it didn't make any change.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I called the dealer and they said they cleaned all the connector pins and traced all the wires again to make sure there weren't any breaks yesterday and they've had it all day today and it hasn't messed up on them. I can't pick it up til tomorrow due to work, but I hope it's fixed. That sound like it could be the problem or were they bs'ing me?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The witch that lives on your street has hexed you. Take the car to a witch hunter.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Good luck. I would love to hear they fixed it. I have a 2014 GT/CS Premium Convertible and hope I don't have window problems. I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty as well and 25,000 miles on it.

(2) 2014 Mustang GT/CS Premium California Special Race Red
1 Convertible w/Black Top
1 Coupe with Panoramic Roof
Coupe has the navigation system, Vert after market Pioneer 8100 Nex with Metra Kit
Both 19 x 8.5-in. machined face with black
painted aluminum wheels
Both with 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretender View Post
Good luck. I would love to hear they fixed it. I have a 2014 GT/CS Premium Convertible and hope I don't have window problems. I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty as well and 25,000 miles on it.
I emailed Ford previously and they said their regional rep would call me tomorrow, so if it's not then hopefully they can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
The witch that lives on your street has hexed you. Take the car to a witch hunter.
She's just jealous of the V8 :P
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Being a tech for 35 years, electrical problems are the worst,you can"t see it or hear it or smell it,but it will shock you burn you or mess with your mind.LOL.Good luck hope they find the problem,the Tech is probelly just as frustrated as you are.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, it's not fixed. Opened the door and the window dropped like it should have then didn't go back up. Talked to the Ford rep previously and they said the dealer had it listed as fixed so there wasn't anything they could do and to call them back if it happened again. Left it at the dealer again and called and had to leave a voice mail.

I love my Mustang but it's getting ridiculous that I've drove it maybe three days out of the last three weeks.
Rookie

Things to check:

Which switch did they replace? There are 2 switches involved here. The first one, (on the drivers door armrest), you use to manually to raise and lower the window and the second switch is inside the door and connected to the door latch mechanism. This second switch is the one used to "sense" when the door is open or closed and drops the window that small amount when you open it, and closes it when the door is closed.

The dealer has checked the wiring in the door but there still may be an issue where the door harness plugs into the main harness under the dash.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor G View Post
Things to check:

Which switch did they replace? There are 2 switches involved here. The first one, (on the drivers door armrest), you use to manually to raise and lower the window and the second switch is inside the door and connected to the door latch mechanism. This second switch is the one used to "sense" when the door is open or closed and drops the window that small amount when you open it, and closes it when the door is closed.

The dealer has checked the wiring in the door but there still may be an issue where the door harness plugs into the main harness under the dash.
That I don't know, I know when I checked the panel with both buttons it was new. I stood there while they pulled it into the bay and it seemed to work when they held both the driver and passenger side window up and down. Then they'd try to push down against the window and most of the time it wouldn't stop, like the sensor was messed up?

When I left they said they'd probably just replace the harness from the battery box back? I don't know what all that entails.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Just an update. Picked up my car yesterday afternoon and they said the switch they replaced before (don't know which one it was) was bad from the factory and they had to replace it, again.

Working fine today, last time they fixed it I made it 3 days without it messing up again. Here's hoping it's actually done!

Thanks everyone for your input.
PONY Member
2.3L Member

I had the problem with my 07 Mustang, that the window would drop down when I opened the door, but not go back up. I would do the window relearn, and all would be fine for aa while. I finally discovered that my battery was the problem. It was old, and the voltage dropped to low when I started it in the morning, causing the window regulator to lose it's memory. Installed a new battery, problem solved.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page