Drive cycle & Rejected emissions - help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Drive cycle & Rejected emissions - help!

I live in Vegas and was up for emissions/registration last week. Took it in to Jiffy Smog (same place last year w/no issues) and got rejected for emissions as if the drive cycle was not completed.

Got a 15 day extension. A week prior, same dealership pulled my battery for routine maintenance and this obviously cleared my drive cycle. I'm well aware of all the steps involved in getting it completed but cannot get it to show ready to save my life.

Dealership also kept it for 48 hours and tried multiple attempts to no avail. I've put hundreds of miles on it trying to get the cycle done and the 3 following sensors still show not ready:

CAT (catalyst monitor),
O2S (O2 sensor monitor), and
HRT (O2 sensor heater monitor).

I have a BAMA tune w/steeda CAI. Been in touch with BAMA and they say the tune should have nothing to do with the readiness.

Ford would not do any further troubleshooting because of the mods. Worse case, I'll have to revert everything back to stock w/stock airbox but am trying to avoid that since my speedo will be off since I'm running 3.73 gears w/315,35,20's in the rear. (auto tranny)

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

They do turn off those sensors in some of the tunes. My guess is you need to talk with someone else at Bama. Maybe PM one of the Bama guys on here.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
They do turn off those sensors in some of the tunes. My guess is you need to talk with someone else at Bama. Maybe PM one of the Bama guys on here.
+1

If you're running a "race" tune from them your rear o2's are off.

2009 GT - Eibach Pro Kit Springs & front and rear sway bars | Tokico D-Spec | BMR panhard | Steeda control arms | ARH LT's w/ catted H | Borla ATAK | 2.3L Whipple | To Install - Mcleod RXT & Flywheel | DivisionX return style fuel system | ID1000 | Yet to Buy - Back to the drawing board...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
GT Member

Are you 100% positive that BAMA turns of the rear O2 sensors on the race tunes?

The reason I ask is because I always order performance and race tunes from BAMA based on 91 and 93 octane gas. I have aftermarket headers with cats. And my various tunes(I usually just use the race tunes) would cause a CEL and I finally had to specifically request for them to turn off my rear O2 sensors for all my recent tunes.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Are you 100% positive that BAMA turns of the rear O2 sensors on the race tunes?

The reason I ask is because I always order performance and race tunes from BAMA based on 91 and 93 octane gas. I have aftermarket headers with cats. And my various tunes(I usually just use the race tunes) would cause a CEL and I finally had to specifically request for them to turn off my rear O2 sensors for all my recent tunes.
I'd like to know this as well. From what I've read they do not turn off O2's in the rear unless you specify off-road mid pipe, which I have not.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
Apprentice

From what I have been told, on the race tunes the rear o2's are turned off. All of my race tunes turned them off and when I asked about passing emissions they told me to run the street tune to be safe because they may be off in the performance tune as well. Keep in mind, you can turn them off or on in any tune but I think by default they are off in the race tune.

2009 GT - Eibach Pro Kit Springs & front and rear sway bars | Tokico D-Spec | BMR panhard | Steeda control arms | ARH LT's w/ catted H | Borla ATAK | 2.3L Whipple | To Install - Mcleod RXT & Flywheel | DivisionX return style fuel system | ID1000 | Yet to Buy - Back to the drawing board...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post
I'd like to know this as well. From what I've read they do not turn off O2's in the rear unless you specify off-road mid pipe, which I have not.
I was running long tubes and catted H and they were off in my race tune. I didn't request them to be turned off. The race tune is supposed to be more for off road use so I could see them turning them off by default.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
Apprentice

This is on the AM website for Free tunes for life:

Race V2 (91-93 Octane, *Unleaded Race Fuel, **E85) - The Race Tune is designed for maximum performance and ensures the largest increase in vehicle performance. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area is mandatory as timing, TiVCT, fuel, and throttle response settings are very aggressive. Automatic transmission settings implement entirely new shift points, torque converter changes and firmness settings designed for Track use. This file is designed for "Track Use Only".

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
Apprentice

and here you go

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...2-sensors.html

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

best way to find out, is to call Bama and have them look up YOUR specific tune and see how it is programmed . . . I guess OP already tried this, but I am guessing maybe he got someone on the phone who did not know what they were doing, and that's why I was suggesting to try again and talk to someone else

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
best way to find out, is to call Bama and have them look up YOUR specific tune and see how it is programmed . . . I guess OP already tried this, but I am guessing maybe he got someone on the phone who did not know what they were doing, and that's why I was suggesting to try again and talk to someone else

Yep, been there and done that. Ask for a lead programmer.

BOSS Member

Garage
I've had a few different variations of Bama tunes in my car and none of them have come with the rear O2 sensors turned "off".

DTCs P0420 and P0430 are usually set to "no error reported" rather than actually turning the sensors off.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. I almost always use the street tune. I'll call AM tomorrow again and get them to confirm.

That been said, would the rear O2 sensors off cause this specific issue?

Thanks again.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
. . . DTCs P0420 and P0430 are usually set to "no error reported" rather than actually turning the sensors off.
I'm pretty sure this is technically correct; and it causes the same problem with emissions testing for practical purposes.

I am not sure about the exact codes that the OP posted but it sounds related to me.

Unfortunately if you can't get anywhere with the Bama tune, you'll have to put it all back to stock. Or check with Steeda to see if they have an insert for that CAI that will allow you to run the factory tune long enough to get the emissions done.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella09 View Post
Thanks for the information and the links. Based on my personal experience with my Bama tunes and some other responses it appears that some of the Bama tuners/programmers may not turn of the rear 02's for whatever reason.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page