Rear Clunking - can't figure out source - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
Did you put everything back together using a torque wrench?

Probably something is loose. shock cross-bolt is my first guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
It is almost guaranteed that one of your suspension components is not tight enough. Go through every threaded fastener of your rear suspension and check it for proper torque. You will find it. Shocks bolts are the most likely problem area but it could be any component. I had a thump in my rear end and it was the adjustment sleeve of the adjustable panhard bar.

Yeah I mean I'm sure it's something suspension related, just don't know what to check next. I've been down there about a dozen times now just for the clunk. Initial install was with a torque wrench and the subsequent times I've tried torque wrenches and an impact gun (in case my torque wrench was off and I wasn't getting it tight enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
If the clunking started when you put the shocks on the car, it's 99% probably the shocks.

It takes about 20 minutes to change shocks. You can drive the car without the shocks (I mean...don't drive it far though) to see if the shocks are the source of the noise, or you can put your stockers back on.
That's what I hoped it was but still clunking even with the stock shocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Is your car a manual or auto? If I read what you posted correctly, you installed the konis and the clunking started. Could be the konis that are causing the noise and issue. Other people I've known that have konis as well report similar issues.

Otherwise if you have a manual, that noise would be normal when you're engaging/disengaging the clutch and shifting gears. Mustangs do make a lot of noise.

2014 GT - Track Pack, Leather Recaros, Electronics Package, Back-up Camera - Ported CJ Manifold, SCJ Mono-Blade TB, Custom Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks O/R H-pipe, Borla S-Types, AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Ordered: 3/19/2014 - Built: 5/13/2014 - Delivered: 5/19/2014
Apprentice

Garage
When I had a clunk in the past it was due to something not being tight enough. Twice I have had my sway bars work loose causing a clunk/pop sound. Maybe see if a fellow lister here is close and give it a second set of eyes to check everything??...

2012 Mustang GT Brembo package w/3.55 rear end
+Shifter/Bracket from American Muscle
+Corbeau CR1 seats
+Carbotech 1521 (Street) / XP20 (Race) Motul RBF600
+Koni Adj yellow F/R, Sam Strano Adj Sway F/R, SR Lowering springs 1.5", Maximum Motorsport Adj Panhard, GT500 strut mounts
+X Pipe , GT500 Mufflers , BAMA Tune

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber05 View Post
Is your car a manual or auto? If I read what you posted correctly, you installed the konis and the clunking started. Could be the konis that are causing the noise and issue. Other people I've known that have konis as well report similar issues.

Otherwise if you have a manual, that noise would be normal when you're engaging/disengaging the clutch and shifting gears. Mustangs do make a lot of noise.
I do drive a manual but I don't think it's tranny noise. Only happens on bumps and potholes, etc. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1982 View Post
When I had a clunk in the past it was due to something not being tight enough. Twice I have had my sway bars work loose causing a clunk/pop sound. Maybe see if a fellow lister here is close and give it a second set of eyes to check everything??...
Yeah my searching of forums lead me to everyone saying it's the endlinks. But unfortunately, doesn't seem to be the case with me.
PONY Member

I had exactly the same issue; a clunking I couldn't locate. Was told it was the rear shocks, but it wasn't.

There's a real good chance it's your rear sway-bar bushings, this is a well-known issue. I ordered poly-urethane bushings for the sway-bar and the drop links, and it completely cured my clunking.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats

Last edited by NoVa5.0; 03-10-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Apprentice

Garage
I had exactly the same issue with mine ,although I installed strange 10 way single adjustable fronts and rears. After about a week the clunking started on the passenger side rear. I tightened every bolt again on all suspension parts and the axle backs. Turns out I put the shock's on the opposite sides. The problem moved to the other side and confirmed it was a bad shock. Now I am looking for a different brand of 10 way adj. rear shocks. Looking for recommendation????

TC
GT Member

If the shock started making noise after a week then why not talk to strange engineering and get a new shock?

But if you wan't something else not sure there are other 10 way adjustable but maybe you could get some koni adjustables for the rear as they are on sale right now.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks. I did get a new shock from strange without issue. I am just not happy with the adjustability of them, so wanted to know if there were any others out there that people have been happy with.

TC
Rookie

Not sure if this is it, but I figured I'd share. I have a 2014 5.0 MT and was chasing a rattle-type clunk on the passenger side since it was brand new. It would only happen on bumpy roads and my initial thoughts were suspension or body panel. I never really tried to diagnose it, then one day when my daughter was in the back seat, I noticed the rattle disappeared while traveling the same stretch of road that would generate the noise. When my daughter got out of the car, I lowered the headrest and banged on the top of the back passenger seat and recreated the noise that I heard. I fixed it by installing a small piece of foam behind the seat to take up slack when the seat is in the upright / locked position. Problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page