Rear Clunking - can't figure out source - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry Rear Clunking - can't figure out source

Hello everyone,

I have had clunking coming from the rear passenger side of my car for a while now and I am at a loss. I have no idea what is causing it or what to do next.

1. Purchased car bone stock at 27k miles. No issues
  2. Installed Koni STR.T struts, GT500 strut mounts, and Steeda Ultralites on all 4 corners. No issues
  3. Received and installed Koni STR.T shocks. Clunking ensues
  4. Read that the PHB could cause issues; so I installed a BMR adjustable PHB. Still clunking
  5. Read that the sway bar and endlinks are notorious for causing clunking, so I took off the entire sway bar. Still clunking
  6. Thought maybe it's the springs, so I took out the rear springs and put the stock ones back on. Still clunking
  7. Thought maybe I got bad shocks from Koni, so I put the stock shocks back on. Still clunking

I haven't done anything else to the car except install an axleback and that's not clunking anywhere or hitting the axle, etc.

What am I missing here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Did you check to see that the nut on the top of the shock is tightened properly? This is sometimes difficult to tighten especially without an impact wrench.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

I second checking your upper shock mount.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
Did you check to see that the nut on the top of the shock is tightened properly? This is sometimes difficult to tighten especially without an impact wrench.
I believe I did. My impact gun was too big to fit so I had to use a wrench to hold the shock/bolt from spinning while tightening down the nut. Tightened it as much as I could until the shock/bolt had no more give :/
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
I second checking your upper shock mount.

Are the mounts and/or bushings known for not lasting long?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have not heard of any problems with them not lasting long but even a slight bit of play between the mounts and the body will cause noise.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nbk13nw
Have you checked the differential bushing?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2005 GT, Flowmaster, SCT, JLT CAI, Eibach, Baer, FRPP Struts / Dampers, FRPP Deletes, FRPP 4.10's, TA Girdle, BBK UDP's, J&M Upper Link/Lower Control Arms, FRPP GT 500 Front Control Arms, Hurst short throw, Foose / BFG FDW's
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

When does the clunking occur? Just bumps, when you stop, all those?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
GT Member

Don't tighten that upper shock nut with an impact gun, even if you could. You can easily destroy the nut or shock doing this. Impacts are great for taking an old shock off you're going to throw away but, not for installs. Use hand tools. It doesn't need that much.

You've gone through lots here but, it sure sounds like a bad shock install or worn shock. any wetness on the shock itself?

You sure it ain't the exhaust pipe hitting the frame or PHB brace? It's possible here when you install axlebacks.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbk13nw View Post
Have you checked the differential bushing?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Oh wow I'll definitely check that out. Never thought about a potential issue there.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
When does the clunking occur? Just bumps, when you stop, all those?
It clunks anytime I'm not driving on completely flat pavement. Any sort of bump or hole and it's clunking galore.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Don't tighten that upper shock nut with an impact gun, even if you could. You can easily destroy the nut or shock doing this. Impacts are great for taking an old shock off you're going to throw away but, not for installs. Use hand tools. It doesn't need that much.

You've gone through lots here but, it sure sounds like a bad shock install or worn shock. any wetness on the shock itself?

You sure it ain't the exhaust pipe hitting the frame or PHB brace? It's possible here when you install axlebacks.

No wetness as far as I can tell and the rebound rates on both the konis and stock ones seem to be okay as well.

I thought it might be the axleback but I don't see anywhere it could be clunking and there was no clunking initially with the stock shocks and ultralites.
PONY Member

Did you put everything back together using a torque wrench?

Probably something is loose. shock cross-bolt is my first guess.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
GT Member
S197 Member

If the clunking started when you put the shocks on the car, it's 99% probably the shocks.

It takes about 20 minutes to change shocks. You can drive the car without the shocks (I mean...don't drive it far though) to see if the shocks are the source of the noise, or you can put your stockers back on.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

PONY Member

Garage
It is almost guaranteed that one of your suspension components is not tight enough. Go through every threaded fastener of your rear suspension and check it for proper torque. You will find it. Shocks bolts are the most likely problem area but it could be any component. I had a thump in my rear end and it was the adjustment sleeve of the adjustable panhard bar.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page