Rear end noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
That1314coyote

Rear end noise

I have a noticeable whine coming from the rear of my car and it comes and goes sometimes. It is a steady sound when driving so I know it's not in the transmission so I'm wondering if it might be a axle bearing or the gears. The faster I go the higher pitched it gets and it's a very gradual rise in pitch. Has anyone every experienced this or know what it might be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Do you have the 3.73 rear gears by any chance?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
That1314coyote

I believe it is the 3:73s

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
That1314coyote

But it might also be 4:10 it feels different then the 3:73 I had in my other 14
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
GT Member

The higher the ratio, the more likely you are to encounter some whine in an 8.8. Setup is much more finicky as the ratio gets wider. The way the factory assembles them with slap to torque can be a little hit or miss.

If it's not too terrible, you might be better served with louder exhaust because opening up the rear can cause more problems than it solves. Ford won't do much unless it's quite severe, even on a new car.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
That1314coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
The higher the ratio, the more likely you are to encounter some whine in an 8.8. Setup is much more finicky as the ratio gets wider. The way the factory assembles them with slap to torque can be a little hit or miss.

If it's not too terrible, you might be better served with louder exhaust because opening up the rear can cause more problems than it solves. Ford won't do much unless it's quite severe, even on a new car.
thabks for the input! The exhaust definitely drowns it out, I can just hear it cruisng.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1314coyote View Post
But it might also be 4:10 it feels different then the 3:73 I had in my other 14
You should be able to tell from the codes on the door jamb sticker or the label on the differential.

3.73 is an available option from the factory and fairly common, I'm pretty sure 4.10 is not an option from the factory and not very common.

It's real risky to diagnose a sound from a description over the internet . . . . but it "sounds" like it might be the typical 3.73 gear whine. If it is still under warranty it is worth a shot to take it back to the dealer and see what they say. But usually they say they can't hear it, or it's "normal."

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
Apprentice

My 13 GT purchased used with around 12,000 miles had this issue. I thought it was normal for 3.73 gears until I had a good friend of mine go for a ride he is an ex Ford teck and without hesitation he says "you have a problem with your rearend!" I figured it was nothing personal since I just had a colonoscopy about a moth ago! So I figured he ment my GT. Anyway he recommended a Ford dealership and specifically a teck that he knows who has rebuilt a few ring and pinions. I drove there he took a ride and said yup needs work. Two weeks later it was finished and now at 19,000 the car is real quiet. This was all covered under warranty and the reason it took two weeks was the 3.73 gears were on back order. I say get it checked out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016
That1314coyote

Well I will definitely take it in and have it looked at. I just hope they don't give me to much trouble with all the mods!
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1314coyote View Post
Well I will definitely take it in and have it looked at. I just hope they don't give me to much trouble with all the mods!
What all aftermarket mods and stock packages do you have. This will help others with similar chime in. Did you take a look at the tags to see what gears you have.

I have the Torsen helical differential with 3.73's stock in my Boss 302 and have found pages and pages of people explaining the sounds I hear. Both the whine and the shhhhhhhhhhh sound. I am told it is a common issue and requires a under warranty fix (Rebuild/replacement.)

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
That1314coyote

I haven't had a chance to look at the tag, I'll see if I can't look when I leave for work. The mods are: Boss Manifold, Jlt intake, Tune, O/R X, springs/shocks/struts, Barton Short Throw, staggered 20s, Roush Axle Back
That1314coyote

Ok, I just crawled under my car and the tag says its 3.73s.
PONY Member

Garage
I had the same whine in my track pack car. Got a whole new diff and new rear gears under warranty and the whine is mostly gone now. So much happier. It was loud enough to overpower my O/R H and Borla exhaust while cruising on the highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page