MT82 shifter "Shim Mod" - Does it actually work? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

MT82 shifter "Shim Mod" - Does it actually work?

Has anyone done the shifter shim mod and does it really help?

Research done here:

Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-question.html

I didn't see any reviews of this though. Theory seems solid.

Also, I have a suspicion. If shifter misalignment is really an issue with the MT82 due to its mounting configuration (fixed to transmission, floating to frame) then Ford probably made the rear support bushing really squishy and flimsy for a reason - if its too stiff, the rear of the shifter will be fixed to the frame while the front moves with the drivetrain. Basically, whenever the drivetrain moves or loads up, the shifter will act as a transmission mount and be twisted.

The rear mount is probably intended to allow movement. If this is the case, then replacing the flimsy rear mount with a stiff poly one will just make the problem worse.

Thanks. Any comments welcome.

2012 GT, 6M, 3.73, 13,500 mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016
GT Member

Don't overthink it. Any decent rear bracket like a Steeda makes a huge difference. I did it all. Bracket, weighted knob, Whitline bushing and MGW arm bushing. They all helped some. Between the bracket and the weighted knob, they helped the most. It wads about as good as any remote shifter will ever get like that.

The shim mod can actually promote misalignment rather than reverse it.

I used this setup to pound out over 100 dragstrip passes. pretty solid, even if the addup was close to what a full shifter would have cost.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

It still seems like an upgraded, stiffer rear bracket will just make alignment problems worse when the drivetrain or chassis is under load.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
This will be going on mine shortly - a def fix

https://lmr.com/item/SSB-03-000/must...114-SSB-03-000

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masospaghetti View Post
It still seems like an upgraded, stiffer rear bracket will just make alignment problems worse when the drivetrain or chassis is under load.
I agree with this thinking actually and so, I think, does MGW. Their latest shifters completely disengage any connection to the body and float with the transmission just like a top-loader design. This was also what Blow Fish racing was thinking with their shifter bracket.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Don't overthink it. Any decent rear bracket like a Steeda makes a huge difference. I did it all. Bracket, weighted knob, Whitline bushing and MGW arm bushing. They all helped some. Between the bracket and the weighted knob, they helped the most. It wads about as good as any remote shifter will ever get like that.

The shim mod can actually promote misalignment rather than reverse it.

I used this setup to pound out over 100 dragstrip passes. pretty solid, even if the addup was close to what a full shifter would have cost.
Can you provide me more information on the MGW arm bushing? I heard about it over a year ago and I tried googling to find the information with no results. I have done quite a bit to help the transmission shift easier and not miss gears. I still have to really take my time at high rpms to get the shifter into 5th from 4th. And I think sometimes also 3rd to 4th. I wish I would have gone the route of MG race spec shifter now but I don't want to spend more money on a shifter.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016
GT Member

Never mind I found it by googling what you called it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILpfGaFYMc

I wonder how easy it is to change the bushings? Can it be done from below the car without taking the shifter out etc.?

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN5.0 View Post
This will be going on mine shortly - a def fix

https://lmr.com/item/SSB-03-000/must...114-SSB-03-000

Scott
Nice, I didn't know about these, definitely more budget friendly than a full MGW setup. Thanks for the link.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016
GT Member

Just call them to get it. $29. Took me about a 1/2 hour to install on jackstands. Just undo the cross, lower the trans, undo the crosspin bolt and three attachment bolts at the shift box. Take the arm to the bench, put in the bushing and reinstall.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Just call them to get it. $29. Took me about a 1/2 hour to install on jackstands. Just undo the cross, lower the trans, undo the crosspin bolt and three attachment bolts at the shift box. Take the arm to the bench, put in the bushing and reinstall.
Thank you for the information. I am going to order one now. Do I need to take my driveshaft out or do I only lower the transmission slightly?

GT Member

I'm good but not that good. I couldn't do what I said and take the DS out in a 1/2 hour. You just need to drop the trans enough to get access to the crossbolt at the trans end.

Apprentice

Thumbs up

Barton Industries Mustang Short Shifter and Two-Post Bracket - MT-82 2011BM2PB (11-14 GT, V6, BOSS) - Free Shipping

Installed the shifter 2 weekends ago in my garage in about 20 minutes. Had already purchased and installed the 2 post bracket a few months ago and it too can be installed on jack stands without removing anything other than the factory bracket/bushing (2 bolts). The bracket tightened up slop in the shifter quite a bit but I still had occasional grinding into gears. The shifter decreased the throws by around 40% so instead of grabbing the knob and moving your hand/arm to shift you can rest your palm on the shifter and push the car through the gears with a flick of you fingers if you want to. Shifting is faster and gears are closer together and the shifter has a nice mechanical feel with clicks into each gear and I have not experienced any grinding since the install.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
The Barton is a nice set up no doubt but it is treating the symptoms and not the problem.

The shifter is mounted to the tunnel so when the motor torques under load the trans does too - and the shifter doesn't - which leads to missed shifts, grinding and occasionally bad things happening to our transmissions. The MGW and Blowfish set ups address this by disconnecting the shift mechanism from the body and hard mounting it to the transmission.

This is really the only way to fix it properly. Everything else is just a stop gap attempting to stabilize the back of the transmission shifter set up.

my .02

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page